Mayor Ed Koch Subway Station

Amtrak7

(aka 77 St (6))

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/02/03/77th-street-no-6-line-subway-station-to-be-renamed-for-mayor-koch/

U.S. Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-New York) will be on hand Monday to announce that the 77th Street No. 6 line station, at 77th Street and Lexington Avenue, will be known as the Mayor Ed Koch Subway Station.

At least its better then SEPTA's Broad Street Line "AT&T Station" name (formally Pattison)...

But I do agree, thats a bit too much... Can they even rename a station without MTA approval? I'm reading nothing on that.

Why is it ok to name an airport, street, bridge, tunnel, etc, after someone but not a subway station. First of all, This was a man who helped change NYC in a good, way. Second, this is a city known for its subways. I call it an honor. Didnt i see posts here crediting him for winning the war on subway graffiti. Wouldnt this be fitting?

For the record, hes not the first to have multiple things named after them. But i do believe he's the first to have a subway station named after him. 

Archived