Far West Side Could Get New Bus Line by Year's End

BreeddekalbL

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basically what I'm saying with that is, aside for access to/from the (7) down there, the Q103 is not used.....

Would beg to differ on that...yeah, there are a ton of people who use it to get to the 7, but there's also a decent crowd that takes it to Queensbridge Houses and beyond that. Least in my experience that's been the story...weekday afternoons, I've been on that bus almost standing room only by Vernon Blvd and the crowd that waits for it, and most of the people stayed on past Queens Plaza.

Would beg to differ on that...yeah, there are a ton of people who use it to get to the 7, but there's also a decent crowd that takes it to Queensbridge Houses and beyond that. Least in my experience that's been the story...weekday afternoons, I've been on that bus almost standing room only by Vernon Blvd and the crowd that waits for it, and most of the people stayed on past Queens Plaza.

Q103 doesn't serve Queens plaza....

Anyway...

What decent crowd on the southern portion of the 103 take 103's to QB projects & beyond that - that aren't coming off (7) 's? (Asking that another way, what decent crowd of hunterspoint patrons are riding to the (F) & points north?)

Anyone riding from the north on the 103 that's still on the bus south of QB PJ's, more often than not, are going to the (7).....

As usual however, the "forgotten borough" gets shit.

dude can it there are several ways to improve SI 's network but you don't fully understand SI or shoot down changes to make lines useful. Too many travel between SI & NJ for the MTA alone to be able to deal with service gaps in SI. SI will continue to be underserved untill MTA &NJT work together to link their regions together.

I just LOVE how everyone missed the fact that they said they will tweak service depending on the ridership. If it proves to be good enough, headways can be shortened. 

And I wouldn't consider SI to be undeserved. SI is just fine in my view. The North Shore (40,42,44,46,48) is beautifully served with buses running on every main street up there. On time, if I might add. If something ever went wrong, I could walk a few blocks and catch another bus to the ferry. South Shore is fine too. Hylan, Richman Road, Father Cappodano are all properly served plus the SIR. The further south you go, the less buses you see but that's because more people have cars. Cross SI buses excluding the 53 are only crowded during the times students are going to or from school. Staten Island is fine.

I just LOVE how everyone missed the fact that they said they will tweak service depending on the ridership. If it proves to be good enough, headways can be shortened. 

And I wouldn't consider SI to be undeserved. SI is just fine in my view. The North Shore (40,42,44,46,48) is beautifully served with buses running on every main street up there. On time, if I might add. If something ever went wrong, I could walk a few blocks and catch another bus to the ferry. South Shore is fine too. Hylan, Richman Road, Father Cappodano are all properly served plus the SIR. The further south you go, the less buses you see but that's because more people have cars. Cross SI buses excluding the 53 are only crowded during the times students are going to or from school. Staten Island is fine.

*cough* Need S83 LTD *cough*

As usual however, the "forgotten borough" gets shit.

Well, to be fair, they did include SI in the service improvements, with the S76, S93, and X1.

But as I've said before, I'm sure some private developers have some friends within the MTA, because I doubt the MTA would've suggested them on their own.

So where's the local bus along Goethals Road North/Fahy Avenue? And don't tell me they're not major streets, because they're more major than many streets along the S44.

Is the service decent? Yeah, it's alright, but it's not "fine". There's plenty of room for improvement.

That wasn't missed by me at all, I just didn't put any stock into it because I don't see it being good enough - considering the part of manhattan it'll run up/down..... Saying that they'd tweak service depending on ridership are empty words if the route is a fail.....

"Richman" Road... LMAO... I live on Richman Road in Richman County... :lol:  Only a transplant wouldn't know how to spell that correctly... What's even funnier is you saying that the North Shore is "beautifully served"... The S48 is generally either late or early (I know from experience) and the S40 is said be MIA by others more than anything else.  

Q103 doesn't serve Queens plaza....

Anyway...

What decent crowd on the southern portion of the 103 take 103's to QB projects & beyond that - that aren't coming off (7) 's? (Asking that another way, what decent crowd of hunterspoint patrons are riding to the (F) & points north?)

Anyone riding from the north on the 103 that's still on the bus south of QB PJ's, more often than not, are going to the (7).....

Sure it does, you just gotta walk over and then up under the bridge trestle. It's a few blocks, but I've done that before. Can also transfer to the Q66 if you're feeling lazy going up to 28th. But yeah, what I'm saying is that I've gotten on at Vernon Blvd and I've gotten off at QB Houses and been the only person getting off there while the rest of the bus stayed on. It varies, but you've got a lot of middle-aged women and such who take the bus past the projects. 

Sure it does, you just gotta walk over and then up under the bridge trestle. It's a few blocks, but I've done that before. Can also transfer to the Q66 if you're feeling lazy going up to 28th. But yeah, what I'm saying is that I've gotten on at Vernon Blvd and I've gotten off at QB Houses and been the only person getting off there while the rest of the bus stayed on. It varies, but you've got a lot of middle-aged women and such who take the bus past the projects. 

You take photos and videos of the Q103? :)

Sure it does, you just gotta walk over and then up under the bridge trestle. It's a few blocks, but I've done that before. Can also transfer to the Q66 if you're feeling lazy going up to 28th.

But yeah, what I'm saying is that I've gotten on at Vernon Blvd and I've gotten off at QB Houses and been the only person getting off there while the rest of the bus stayed on. It varies, but you've got a lot of middle-aged women and such who take the bus past the projects. 

I know where Queens plaza is, relative to the Q103.... I wouldn't exactly call that serving Queens plaza....

As for the other part of this reply.... Right, what you're describing are (the majority of the) ppl. that ride the 103 down in hunterspoint coming off the 7 that ride north of QB projects..... I know about the riders that do that.... You're bringing up something I wasn't even talking about to QJT about.....

Majority of ppl. that are riding past (meaning north of) the QB projects from the southern portion of the route are not ppl. that live within hunterspoint (which is what I referring to when I originally said the southern portion of the 103)... Unless you misconstrued my OP (with which you only took a snippet of), this is what you're begging to differ to......

Nah, not trying to start something, was just pointing out that there was a decent amount of ridership past the QB projects. But you're right, majority of the people going past there don't live in that area of LIC. It's an odd bus route, I gotta take it some more but those headways are a royal pain in the ass...

@Goiji: Not yet, reminded me that I should.

Nah, not trying to start something, was just pointing out that there was a decent amount of ridership past the QB projects. But you're right, majority of the people going past there don't live in that area of LIC. It's an odd bus route, I gotta take it some more but those headways are a royal pain in the ass...

This is just discussion for me, not tryna start nothin either, but I still wanted to clarify what was being disagreed to/with.

Anyway, there is definitely ridership past the QB projects/past the (F); I'd say most of which comes from north of broadway (which includes the Astoria projects).... Not sure if anyone else took it the way you might have, but I was certainly not saying/implicating that the 103 only gets usage in the southern portion..... But yeah, you'd think even more ppl. from the north would ride it to the 7, but I find that most of those ppl. tend to ride the 103 to the F moreso than the 7... Dunno, guess it makes sense since the F better serves where those ppl. are tryna get to....

The ride you were describing you had, I also find that to be the case w/ 103's... hardly anyone gets off at QB projects itself coming from the southern portion of the route; which makes sense if you consider demographics....

*scrolls back to see how this turned into a discussion about the 103*

So in general:

Riders from Astoria Houses take it to the (F) , or they might take it to the (7), but mostly the (F)

And I wouldn't be surprised to see if people from either line take it to HP for leisure. And then there's that museum place and the Sculpture Park.

Without MTA bustime I don't think I would agree with you. The ferry delays bus service heavily sometimes, and not all of the north shore routes are running great at the same time. However, only viewing the SI Bus map makes travel look perfect almost. Bustime made a dramatic change and now the service is excellent generally, but there are a ferryload of improvements and tweaks that could be made to make SI service even better for everyone.The fact that they were able to craft these 5 new routes up without even poking a stick at the S53 route (or others) is a bit disheartening though.

The new far west side bus route is a good idea and I hope it works out.

"Richman" Road... LMAO... I live on Richman Road in Richman County... :lol:  Only a transplant wouldn't know how to spell that correctly... What's even funnier is you saying that the North Shore is "beautifully served"... The S48 is generally either late or early (I know from experience) and the S40 is said be MIA by others more than anything else.  

Transplant? You'd better recognize and never insult me like that again.

2ndly, If the s48 was always late, or the 46 or 40 for that matter, I'd never make it anywhere on time if they were always late. Even my aunt, who is can be one heluva critic of this system, is very impressed at the frequency. And she lives next to the B36 and B74. Both of which can be everything you just said. Even the less frequent S59 tends to be very on time.

The Ferry also does not delay buses because the Ferry is also relatively on time. Buses can make up the 3 minutes lost with ease. In fact, you'd have to be more worried about the ferry missing the bus than the ferry delaying the bus. The bus schedules really only changed by a minute due to bustime. 

Transplant? You'd better recognize and never insult me like that again.

2ndly, If the s48 was always late, or the 46 or 40 for that matter, I'd never make it anywhere on time if they were always late. Even my aunt, who is can be one heluva critic of this system, is very impressed at the frequency. And she lives next to the B36 and B74. Both of which can be everything you just said. Even the less frequent S59 tends to be very on time.

The Ferry also does not delay buses because the Ferry is also relatively on time. Buses can make up the 3 minutes lost with ease. In fact, you'd have to be more worried about the ferry missing the bus than the ferry delaying the bus. The bus schedules really only changed by a minute due to bustime. 

lol... Aren't you originally from Brooklyn? If so that makes you a transplant and not a "Richman" one either... :lol:

As for your praise of Staten Island local buses, they've gotten better since Bus Time has come into play.  I tend to forget that you didn't experience the sh*tty service that many Staten Islanders were exposed to for years... Another reason I left that place... That, the overcrowding and too many Brooklynites coming over.  The place didn't have the same vibe amongst other things.

.....That, the overcrowding and too many Brooklynites coming over.  The place didn't have the same vibe amongst other things.

You think Staten Island is overcrowded? starting to sound like JohnQPine here....

(former) Brooklynites have been populating Staten Island for ages, so I'm not exactly sure what vibe there used to be, compared to whatever the vibe is out there now....

You think Staten Island is overcrowded? starting to sound like JohnQPine here....

(former) Brooklynites have been populating Staten Island for ages, so I'm not exactly sure what vibe there used to be, compared to whatever the vibe is out there now....

Funny thing is, VG8's from Brooklyn himself.....

And yup, as soon as that bridge opened, the island became flooded with "transplants" from Brooklyn. Like you said, it's nothing new....

Not to mention "transplant" usually refers to somebody moving from some area outside the city (stereotypically from the Midwest, though I've heard a lot are actually from the NYC suburbs) to an area within the city, usually a "hip" area. Somebody moving around within the city, especially out to the boondocks of Staten Island can't be considered a transplant.

Archived