Far West Side Could Get New Bus Line by Year's End

BreeddekalbL

Of course not... They want this bus to go up Broadway to 72nd.... 72nd isn't the headache... Broadway is...

As for 66th street, the bus can come across via 57th street and then follow the M20 to the 66th street terminal which wouldn't be bad at all.  After 8th Avenue, 57th isn't that congested most of the day.

Dude I didn't suggest that. As gorgor would say that is utter madness!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course not... They want this bus to go up Broadway to 72nd.... 72nd isn't the headache... Broadway is...

lol.... nah, nobody said anything about running up that new service up broadway....

72nd-Broadway is around where the subway station is; it doesn't implicate you have to run buses up Broadway to get there....

You might as well have by calling for eliminating the M57 and replacing it with the M31....  <_<

How do you figure ? 

Neither one of the two routes run up broadway & the M57 already runs along west end av to 72nd-broadway....

I don't agree w/ anyone wanting to combine the two routes either, but there's a stark difference in distance between [W 57th st/west end av] & [W 57th st/broadway]....

lol.... nah, nobody said anything about running up that new service up broadway....

72nd-Broadway is around where the subway station is; it doesn't implicate you have to run buses up Broadway to get there....

How do you figure ? 

Neither one of the two routes run up broadway & the M57 already runs along west end av to 72nd-broadway....

I don't agree w/ anyone wanting to combine the two routes either, but there's a stark difference in distance between [W 57th st/west end av] & [W 57th st/broadway]....

It was implied as far as I'm concerned and I'll explain why... #1 all I keep hearing is the need for this route to serve central areas like Columbus Circle and 72nd street.  #2 QJ suggested cutting the M57 and running only M31s.  Some M31s only run to 8th & 57th (though admittedy that's only a handful of them) and since the M57 brings folks to hot spots along 57th street, I don't see how the M31 could do that by itself hence why the M31 and M57 are split the way that they are now.  You combine all of this together and this is how I came to the conclusion that some folks want the bus running up Broadway, otherwise the only big area that you serve in the Midtown area is 72nd street and that's literally at the end of the route.

Basically you'd have this bus coming along 57th over to 8th (though I don't see what good it would do since I disagree with cutting the M57 and then it would either follow the other Broadway buses to 72nd or follow the M20, which isn't that great either), so I guess the only logical route would be following the M57 up West End Av.  

It was implied as far as I'm concerned and I'll explain why... #1 all I keep hearing is the need for this route to serve central areas like Columbus Circle and 72nd street.  #2 QJ suggested cutting the M57 and running only M31s.  Some M31s only run to 8th & 57th (though admittedy that's only a handful of them) and since the M57 brings folks to hot spots along 57th street, I don't see how the M31 could do that by itself hence why the M31 and M57 are split the way that they are now.  You combine all of this together and this is how I came to the conclusion that some folks want the bus running up Broadway, otherwise the only big area that you serve in the Midtown area is 72nd street and that's literally at the end of the route.

Basically you'd have this bus coming along 57th over to 8th (though I don't see what good it would do since I disagree with cutting the M57 and then it would either follow the other Broadway buses to 72nd or follow the M20, which isn't that great either), so I guess the only logical route would be following the M57 up West End Av.  

Of course not M31's 57 st routing won't change let the new route get a shot at west end. Besides those seriously wanting broadway would have transferred already.

Of course not M31's 57 st routing won't change let the new route get a shot at west end. Besides those seriously wanting broadway would have transferred already.

So now you're saying you would just cut out the West End Av portion of the M57 which would be more frequent than the new route and would also force people to transfer from the new route to the M57...  <_<

So now you're saying you would just cut out the West End Av portion of the M57 which would be more frequent than the new route and would also force people to transfer from the new route to the M57...  <_<

really no body stays on the bus that long anyway they already transfer to the subway or broadway buses. Barely anyone uses that west end portion of M57 anyway very few if any would notice.

really no body stays on the bus that long anyway they already transfer to the subway or broadway buses. Barely anyone uses that west end portion of M57 anyway very few if any would notice.

lol... There's some truth to that at times, which is why I don't understand this wanting to have two buses running up West End Av.

lol... There's some truth to that at times, which is why I don't understand this wanting to have two buses running up West End Av.

That is the point there won't be 2 buses on west end towards 72nd street it would be just the M12 powered up though. That should be sufficient for now. Service can be added later. M57 gets removed from there. Only 1 bus is needed there. Then what becomes of M57 in MTA's eyes? But there are better ways to handle as M31 is often late.

That is the point there won't be 2 buses on west end towards 72nd street it would be just the M12 powered up though. That should be sufficient for now. Service can be added later. M57 gets removed from there. Only 1 bus is needed there. Then what becomes of M57 in MTA's eyes? But there are better ways to handle as M31 is often late.

lol... The (MTA) knows very well what the purpose of the M57 is and if they cut that portion of the route they would be making people's commutes more inconvenient just to simply prop up this new West Side route which I call utter BS.

lol... The (MTA) knows very well what the purpose of the M57 is and if they cut that portion of the route they would be making people's commutes more inconvenient just to simply prop up this new West Side route which I call utter BS.

wrong most won't be affected as many just transfer to broadway buses or the (1) so that reasoning is invalid.

BUT they DO transfer they don't use it all the way most of the time!! Why cause that routing is indirect. Why waste time? Most people don't even use it past a certain point anyway.

How do you know?  Do you ride that bus often and observe where passengers go after they leave the bus?

That route is as direct as it can be.  There's no more direct way to get from West End Avenue to 57th Street in Midtown other than taking West End down and turning onto 57th Street.

How do you know?  Do you ride that bus often and observe where passengers go after they leave the bus?

That route is as direct as it can be.  There's no more direct way to get from West End Avenue to 57th Street in Midtown other than taking West End down and turning onto 57th Street.

not many are on the M57 at west end ave.

In any sense of logic, how does not many people on the M57 translate to people transferring from there to other buses, or pose a valid response to how the route is indirect?!

You're not making any sense at all right now.

How would taking it show me how it's indirect?  How could you make it more direct than it already is?  Please tell me because I don't see it.

It's obvious he doesn't have an answer..... For him to tell you "take it and find out", I would've taken that as a slap in the face...

You're not gonna squeeze blood out of a turnip.... I'm surprised that you of all people are taking that M31/M57 combination idea of his seriously, especially (you) living around the M31.....

It's obvious he doesn't have an answer..... For him to tell you "take it and find out", I would've taken that as a slap in the face...

You're not gonna squeeze blood out of a turnip.... I'm surprised that you of all people are taking that M31/M57 combination idea of his seriously, especially (you) living around the M31.....

I'm not taking it seriously at all, that would just be ridiculous.  I'm just seeing what he has to say, and I'm still confused about what he means by the M57 not taking a direct route (probably shouldn't be wasting my time on that though).

I'm not taking it seriously at all, that would just be ridiculous.  I'm just seeing what he has to say, and I'm still confused about what he means by the M57 not taking a direct route (probably shouldn't be wasting my time on that though).

I mean't indirect to 72nd street subway. It's just a crosstown variant of the M31 that's all. Like how M14 has branches.

Archived