Bus Operator (OA) Exam No. 3101 is out

RTS4Life

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe MABSTOA is OA so the 3101 exam coming up should be it.

i know TA is transit authority but what is OA?

From my understanding to what was told/explained to me is you pass one BOSS exam you will be able to use that single result for any later BOSS exams in the future (but for how long is what I do not know). So, anotherwords you won't have to retake a BOSS exam twice. Your passing result should be good for any next requirement and not necesarry to take anothe BOSS exam. TA is a civil service job and has the best pension plan. Civil service bus operators are all part of local 100 TWU. I would say strongly that MABSTOA is second runner-up while the career is very close to comparison with TA in regards to benefits/pension. MTA bus company pension is a bit less and some of their routes pay less (not to mention MTA bus has contract agreements that allows them to hire part time bus operators with no benefits. TWU local 100 which is the union all TA bus operators join don't have that agreement in their contract. So I hope this may clear some of the concerns and questions about what the unions are doing about the part time hirings. I believe MTA bus is the only division in agreement to do this with respect to their contract.

Hi so it means that is I apply for another bus operator that requires the BOSS exam and since I already took it with exam 2301 I don't need to take it again just wait for the congrats letter and medical? Or how does that work.

From my understanding to what was told/explained to me is you pass one BOSS exam you will be able to use that single result for any later BOSS exams in the future (but for how long is what I do not know). So, anotherwords you won't have to retake a BOSS exam twice. Your passing result should be good for any next requirement and not necesarry to take anothe BOSS exam. TA is a civil service job and has the best pension plan. Civil service bus operators are all part of local 100 TWU. I would say strongly that MABSTOA is second runner-up while the career is very close to comparison with TA in regards to benefits/pension. MTA bus company pension is a bit less and some of their routes pay less (not to mention MTA bus has contract agreements that allows them to hire part time bus operators with no benefits. TWU local 100 which is the union all TA bus operators join don't have that agreement in their contract. So I hope this may clear some of the concerns and questions about what the unions are doing about the part time hirings. I believe MTA bus is the only division in agreement to do this with respect to their contract.

Once again the only depot that have part time agreement in MTA BUS is SPRING CREEK which there union are ATU. All TWU local 100 depots in MTA BUS do not have part time work.

i know TA is transit authority but what is OA? Hi so it means that is I apply for another bus operator that requires the BOSS exam and since I already took it with exam 2301 I don't need to take it again just wait for the congrats letter and medical? Or how does that work.

That is what I understand from what I was told but again...if I passed a BOSS exam and am in a position to take another BOSS exam me personally regardless of what I was told I would check it out further before I make any decision on this information just to play it safe. But I found this pretty neat if thats going to be the case. Especially since I have taken the BOSS exam for 2301 already. If I ever get my result from that test (and lets hope I passed) and what I was told turns out to be true then I will not have to take it again for the 3101 and this includes the 2613 TA as well. Cause although the 2613 was a civil service exam you still have to take a BOSS exam during the hiring process later on. I'm aware that I'm talking about 3 different divisions but I inquired about it when I was informed of this news. It was Vicky who works behind the window at 180 Livingston Street who Informed me during a conversation we had over the phone one day. I was surprised to learn this and I hope she knows what she's talking about because this would be very neat and ideal for all of us. But regardless I would still triple check on this!

doesn't ta also have the privlige to pick into oa like if someone wanted to pick into quill from fresh pond   also what is the perception that  those who do get in and when they pick into their first ta depot that  they should avoid ATU depots cause they want to "lock you in" explain that please?

I know some things but I'm not an expert. I will share on what

( I LEARN). I'm sorry but I don't know the answer to this particular question.

OA is the last two letters in MABST(OA) from what I understand means Operating Athority which happens to be a sub-division for NYCTA. I'm wondering if TA, MTA, and MABSTOA would be better for us if they were all just ONE division. My guess is TA wants to keep MABSTOA to be a sub-division for financial reasons. i.e.: I would guess they don't want to mix the smaller part with their bigger dollars. So it makes more sense to split it up and let baby bear to feed itself.

Can someone please answer my questions:

If you do fine on the BOSS, is it just a matter of time before you get called or would they could the list short, for example?

Also, are we typically looking at a one year (tops) time frame to get hired from the date the exam came out? Or could it be 2 or more years?

Wow, really? Thought this exam was very quick because it was an "OA" exam as someone mentioned the OA exams list moves very fast (on another thread). I was thinking 1 year to 1 1/2 the most. Oh well, guess we'll see. Thanks for the response.

I know some people been waiting for years and years to be call. When my father and uncle first applied for mta, they both took The TA and OA exam. The TA took longer to call my pops, but the OA called him within a year he applied. Then a month later TA hit him.. but that was like 10 years ago. Now a lot of people applying to be a bus operator. Why? stable decent income job. So who knows what these following years will bring when it comes to filling in position. Remember, not every applicant makes it in the job. Either they fail background, Drug Test or The training test. 

I got a lot of misdemeanors on my past. As early as 2010. I was granted certificates of relief on four or five misdemeanors by a brookly judge so I'm hoping that helps out a bit. My most recent misdemeanors are from Florida. I just applied for more certificates of relief in Queens as well. I have a court date on June 7th for a decision. I hope to get them as well like I successfully did in Brooklyn. Hopefully this will help out. Other than these misdemeanors from my past my class A cdl with my NPST endorsements is in good standards. I also passed my 19A background check and am 19A certified as well. So we'll see!

I got a lot of misdemeanors on my past. As early as 2010. I was granted certificates of relief on four or five misdemeanors by a brookly judge so I'm hoping that helps out a bit. My most recent misdemeanors are from Florida. I just applied for more certificates of relief in Queens as well. I have a court date on June 7th for a decision. I hope to get them as well like I successfully did in Brooklyn. Hopefully this will help out. Other than these misdemeanors from my past my class A cdl with my NPST endorsements is in good standards. I also passed my 19A background check and am 19A certified as well. So we'll see!

be careful with those misdemeanors I know MTA will give a second chance but seeing a lot of misdemeanors means insubordinate  for the law.

I don't see it affect your qualifications with certifications in good standing and the certificate of relief.

Can someone please answer my questions:

If you do fine on the BOSS, is it just a matter of time before you get called or would they could the list short, for example?

Also, are we typically looking at a one year (tops) time frame to get hired from the date the exam came out? Or could it be 2 or more years?

when I took my BOSS last year I got the congrats letter in the mail on January 15, 2013 and took the exam on 7/26/2012.

that's 6 months. Like RTS4Life said it may be within 2-4 years to fill vacancies.

They also offered the part-time positions for Spring Creek which I not interested so not sending back the letter.

when I took my BOSS last year I got the congrats letter in the mail on January 15, 2013 and took the exam on 7/26/2012.

that's 6 months. Like RTS4Life said it may be within 2-4 years to fill vacancies.

They also offered the part-time positions for Spring Creek which I not interested so not sending back the letter.

Ok. Thanks for the info. If it takes 2-4 years, so be it. I'd say my number one concern is the list expiring or something to that effect. That aside, I'm sure the wait, even if it were 2-4 years, will be worth it in the long run. Thanks again.

be careful with those misdemeanors I know MTA will give a second chance but seeing a lot of misdemeanors means insubordinate  for the law.I don't see it affect your qualifications with certifications in good standing and the certificate of relief.

Thanks Bravo. I've been keeping out of trouble since my arrests in Florida 2010. The certificates of relief from all my Brooklyn cases are somewhat encouraging. I say somewhat because I had so many misdemeanor arrests in my past. I look back today and shake my head. I've only done small stints in county. I'm hoping to accomplish getting certificates from Queens court next month. But that only helps a bit. Like I said I have more. Many of them are so old - 80's, 90's. The ones that concern me most are Florida's because they are most recent in 2010. Ill

Continued; i'll have to check with Florida to see if there is a possibility to get Certificates of reliefs. All this does worry me. I need a breakthrough chance of an oppertunity. I did earn quite a few accomplishments since 2011 like computer classes, financial management class, completion of THE READY WILLING & ABLE program wich is organized by THE DOE FUND Inc., I also completed rehab at Seafield, I completed CDL school with certificate, and class A license (160 hr. training) in 2010, with NPST endorsements, and air brakes. I hope that if I bring all these efforts I finally made that I will get the career with one of the NYC bus divisions. I've applied for all three. 2301, 2613, 3101 exams. From the proposed answer key for the 2613 exam I accordingly scored an 82.5% on the civil service test. Its just not official yet. Good luck to all and please pray for me. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Anyone from this test recieve anything in the mail yet about a BOSS or its to early.

Before you receive a letter about that, you have to receive a letter mailed by the (MTA) that they received your application and payment and has been processed.  It also includes a random list number.  That letter should come in the mail by August or September, but it can be delayed at any time.

Before you receive a letter about that, you have to receive a letter mailed by the (MTA) that they received your application and payment and has been processed.  It also includes a random list number.  That letter should come in the mail by August or September, but it can be delayed at any time.

ok thanks i was just asking because this guy on my job said he recieved his letter already and i know he was full of sh-- because i went to the MTA website and it said what you just stated about aug or sept. Why people do things like that they "lie just to kick it" thats a old slang some may heard of. And you know what eles is crazy im the the one that told him about the test and when the filing period begin and end.

ok thanks i was just asking because this guy on my job said he recieved his letter already and i know he was full of sh-- because i went to the MTA website and it said what you just stated about aug or sept. Why people do things like that they "lie just to kick it" thats a old slang some may heard of. And you know what eles is crazy im the the one that told him about the test and when the filing period begin and end.

Yes Dee77... Letter received to take BOSS exam on June 22nd., 2013. They scheduled me @ James Madison H.S. 11:30am

Yes Dee77... Letter received to take BOSS exam on June 22nd., 2013. They scheduled me @ James Madison H.S. 11:30am

I got the letter to caveman see you there but we took 2613 in jan. The dude on my job was saying he got a boss letter but he filied 3101 mabstoa and he full of sh-- cause the MTA website stated we wont hear nothing from them until aug or sept for that number. He didnt take 2613

Archived