EXCLUSIVE: Dead Malls - Mall at the Source.

KeystoneRegional

• 4 months later...

I can tell you that The Source will not be closing/transforming into anything other than a mall anytime soon. Yes, Simon does not own/manage the mall anymore, and a new security company is working. They are constantly making rounds. The owner and manager are trying to turn this mall around, starting by actually plowing with this MAJOR storm, and THE LIGHTS. For anyone who has actually been at the Source in the past few months to a year, you could not see 5 feet ahead of you in the parking garage. Go there, or even look at the pictures! The lights are on there! With everyone's support and everyone continuing to stay positive, this mall will be back up and running.

I'm not the type to bump a thread but I visited The Source tonight I can say it's not turning around. Despite being a Saturday night the mall was almost completely empty, especially at the ends where Fortunoff and Off Fifth used to be. Only the restaurants, Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs, and Dave & Busters appear to be doing business. Every single place in the food court was closed. It felt warm inside the mall, they probably turned off the air conditioning. I think the sooner this place shuts down the better it will be, especially for Westbury. Turning the mall into a homeless shelter would be a disaster, we see what those shelters have done to Port Jefferson. Same deal with the downscale mall idea, it's just going to attract more vagrants to the area. The sooner the mall is knocked down the better. I only saw one security guard in the entire mall too. Knock it down, or "de-mall" it, ASAP. The longer it stays like this, the more decay it will fall into, and attract.

968796_613493892009064_1331790798_n.jpg

I'm not the type to bump a thread but I visited The Source tonight I can say it's not turning around. Despite being a Saturday night the mall was almost completely empty, especially at the ends where Fortunoff and Off Fifth used to be. Only the restaurants, Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs, and Dave & Busters appear to be doing business. Every single place in the food court was closed. It felt warm inside the mall, they probably turned off the air conditioning. I think the sooner this place shuts down the better it will be, especially for Westbury. Turning the mall into a homeless shelter would be a disaster, we see what those shelters have done to Port Jefferson. Same deal with the downscale mall idea, it's just going to attract more vagrants to the area. The sooner the mall is knocked down the better. I only saw one security guard in the entire mall too. Knock it down, or "de-mall" it, ASAP. The longer it stays like this, the more decay it will fall into, and attract.

**picture**

Ignoring that bit about a homeless shelter, what exactly do you think should be done with the place?

Knock it down & have it turned into what......

With how there's always the issue of overcowded classrooms, maybe they could use the mall as a school or campus? I don't see the need to demolish a perfectly good structure. I also find it a bit strange how it seems the malls are 'dying', but then again I haven't been to many in a while since I have Target or Walmart etc where they have practically everything under one roof.

How about an indoor amusement park?

That would work as well. All that's needed is a buyer and developer.

Anything really would do, but to just know it down would be a waste of potential.

How about an indoor amusement park?

Depends on the area and if they don't mind. I'm not sure how soundproof the walls of a mall are, but that'd be the main reason against one if there's a residential area nearby. As a thrill junkie, I'd love an idea of an indoor amusement park. If most are like the cross shape or v shape design, you can build a fairly decent launch coaster that reaches one end of the park to the other. Not much you can build with 2-3 stories worth unless it is a low to the ground type of ride. 

No, but seriously, I think anything but another mall would suffice seeing as Roosevelt Field is so close and when the Source had all its stores, it still wasn't really as busy as RF. An outlet mall probably wouldn't work either because the outlet stores would put the regular stores that are nearby out of business. The reasons you have those outlets out on LI Is because the regular stores aren't out there.

Agreed.

There a site on dead malls throughout the country.Forgot the URL so google it. There are many reasons why malls die. Change in the neighborhood,increased crime,closing stores and a better mall somewhere else.

I assume you're referring to deadmalls.com.... that's where the original poster of this thread got the pics he posted from.

Archived