Anyone ready for the biggest snowstorm to hit NYC area in 2 years?

Shortline Bus

I have a feeling that my old snow-blower is going to get killed this snowstorm.

And by the way, my iPhone 5 got the National Weather Service alert as well! Not the first time, got them for Sandy too.

Damn phone kept sending me blizzard warnings all day...once while I was taking my afternoon nap (startled the shit out of me lol) and again while I was at work...this shit better be worth it

...what am I saying, I work this weekend, f**k!!!!

Off topic. In Boston the MBTA "T" Buses, subways and commuter rail will shut by 3pm. Beantown could be buried with as high as 3 feet(not a misprint).

http://www1.whdh.com/video/player/?clipId=8340401&clipFormat=flv&topVideoCatNo=#?autoStart#?autoStart

And closer to home the NY (MTA) has stated that Metro North will run on a revised schedule. Meaning similar to eves of major holidays i.e Thanksgiving eve, X-mas eve, etc. where rush hour starts at 12 Noon and ends around 6pm. Plus after 6pm service could be shut at any moment. Ditto for LIRR and NYC subways and buses.

Hat tip for connectivity problems with internet with this storm for those not in the know: If you keep on getting knocked out the internet and got Win XP/7/8, go start>search field. type CMD to get command prompt, type ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew exactly as I typed it with only one space or disconnect from the home network or wireless network via control panel>network and sharing center or taskbar then reconnect or/and reset the modem or/and restart your computer. I'm having that problem and have to do this from time to time to stay connected to the internet.

No guarantees if it will work if it is a ISP end cable bandwith, satellite or hotspot problem. If so then your screwed and will have to call your local ISP.

Hat tip for connectivity problems with internet with this storm for those not in the know: If you keep on getting knocked out the internet and got Win XP/7/8, go start>search field. type CMD to get command prompt, type ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew exactly as I typed it with only one space or disconnect from the home network or wireless network via control panel>network and sharing center or taskbar then reconnect or/and reset the modem or/and restart your computer. I'm having that problem and have to do this from time to time to stay connected to the internet.

No guarantees if it will work if it is a ISP end cable bandwith, satellite or hotspot problem. If so then your screwed and will have to call your local ISP.

The renew command doesn't work, it keeps giving me something like "media disconnected" or whatever.  My crappy router always drops my wi-fi and sometimes even power cycling both the modem and router don't do anything.

The renew command doesn't work, it keeps giving me something like "media disconnected" or whatever.  My crappy router always drops my wi-fi and sometimes even power cycling both the modem and router don't do anything.

Hello are you there? OK if you can see this post:

......... I can picture what you are seeing in my mind on the command line. Router/modem and/or Windows cannot find your ISP's network, possibly. Radio interference due to inclement weather or appliances that emit radio waves might be a reason now that you're mentioning wi-fi. You could try increasing signal strength on the wi-fi modem if it's constantly disconnecting.If THAT doesn't work then it must be something wrong concerning weak signal strength on the VPN or fiber optic/cable network with the internet service provider itself. If cable modem, something wrong with the lines itself. If the network packets are transmitted via satelite then its because of the Nor'easter and there's nothing then that can be done. Can also be the proxy servers or the DHCP servers at the ISP's data center. Call your ISP customer service hotline so a network tech can fix the problem possibly occuring on their end of the network.

If all else fails unfortunately you are shit out of luck until at least tonight when bandwidth is usually stronger.

Reading the updates from the provided link it is giving the hint of a *possible* LIRR shutdown on many of it's lines I just noticed. They are monitoring the situation to see if the accumulation goes over a foot of snow, if that happens then expect shutdowns on a plethora of it's branches.

How come we may have no (7) service to Manhattan with the Steinway Tunnels shut down? This is not a tsunami, it's a blizzard. I'm stumped on that one. I'm guessing for train storage through the storm? A blizzard would'nt cause massive flooding of the tunnel so that's the reason i am assuming......

Normally i would be like "oh damn! We are going to get hit with a huge amount of snow!"

After living upstate since Christmas, all i can say is well, welcome to the club! I havent seen the actual ground since i moved!!! It snows practically every other day on an average of a couple of inches each time. 

I hope everyone down there stays safe and dont have to go anywhere.

I can't believe your only an hour away from me.  :mellow: Seriously, we've gotten a light coating here and there, but that's about it. I know 40-something miles makes a difference, but really? (Although I wasn't here for the big snow storm you're referring to, but I was told we got a few feet.)

Also, I got out of school two hours early for like an inch of snow. (It looks worse on the street, but the one window in my room that's facing the street close to my house is covered in (water? what's the word i'm looking for?), so I can only look at the street far away, so i'm not sure if there actually is more snow over there, or if it's an illusion.)

Ok, I just looked at the snow through a streetlight, and it's coming down pretty quickly. 

@Gojimet (Does anyone know how to quote somebody directly while editing?)

I was going to fan, but I hung out with my friends instead. Although I did get a few good ones from my schools window, and the car window.

I hope it's still snowing on Saturday (like the weather said) so that I can get some good pictures then, but knowing me i'll probably sleep till 2 and miss it anyways.

Archived