Anyone ready for the biggest snowstorm to hit NYC area in 2 years?

Shortline Bus

I can't believe your only an hour away from me.  :mellow: Seriously, we've gotten a light coating here and there, but that's about it. I know 40-something miles makes a difference, but really? (Although I wasn't here for the big snow storm you're referring to, but I was told we got a few feet.)

Also, I got out of school two hours early for like an inch of snow. (It looks worse on the street, but the one window in my room that's facing the street close to my house is covered in (water? what's the word i'm looking for?), so I can only look at the street far away, so i'm not sure if there actually is more snow over there, or if it's an illusion.)

Ok, I just looked at the snow through a streetlight, and it's coming down pretty quickly. 

@Gojimet (Does anyone know how to quote somebody directly while editing?)

I was going to fan, but I hung out with my friends instead. Although I did get a few good ones from my schools window, and the car window.

I hope it's still snowing on Saturday (like the weather said) so that I can get some good pictures then, but knowing me i'll probably sleep till 2 and miss it anyways.

Let me try quoting while editing.

If you're in full editor mode, then no.

If you just edit normally, then it'll appear as a different reply, but you can Copy and Paste it into the existing reply (the one you're editing.

Just saw on ABC/Ch.7 Ch. 4/NBC and CBS/Ch.2 11pm newscasts. NYC/Manhattan may now only get 8-10 inches max. This storm is clobbering Eastern LI i.e Suffolk County and Southern New England all the way to Boston.

Saw some cars on Sunrise Highway and LIE being ditched. 2 feet expected in that region.

Just saw on ABC/Ch.7 Ch. 4/NBC and CBS/Ch.2 11pm newscasts. NYC/Manhattan may now only get 8-10 inches max. This storm is clobbering Eastern LI i.e Suffolk County and Southern New England all the way to Boston.

Saw some cars on Sunrise Highway and LIE being ditched. 2 feet expected in that region.

That's good. We all expected much, much worse.

That means that for the adults who post here we  should have minimal problems with our commutes to work by Monday, either driving  by car or utilizing NYC subway rapid transit, exception would be the problems on the Metro North and LIRR from what I am understanding. Icy road conditions should not be as bad as it was in recent past storms we've had this year because well at least in the Bronx and Manhattan, we got hit very hard but with snow, not sleet. (particularly the Bronx, geographical conditions promites more snow preticipation but less damage during hurricanes, something I'll never understand) Brooklyn is a different story because from what friends told me, you Brooklynites got more of the sleet which makes for dangerous road conditions.

It would be great if the schoolkids get Monday off, but then again that day will have to be made up as per DOE Chancellor Dennis Wallcott. Sorry guys, I feel your pain.

Well, that was a bust. My street has only got 4-5 inches tops, and it looks like the plows already came around. Was looking forward to some real blizzard carnage! 

Hey come to Poughkeepsie my friend. Got around 12-16 inches (depending on town lol)in my area. Or go to Stony Brook, Long Island they got 2 feet. Or even to Downtown Boston they could set an all time record of over 30 inches. So MHV you just missed the fun lol.

Hey come to Poughkeepsie my friend. Got around 12-16 inches (depending on town lol)in my area. Or go to Stony Brook, Long Island they got 2 feet. Or even to Downtown Boston they could set an all time record of over 30 inches. 

Not speaking for MVH but:

Nope.

Well, that was a bust. My street has only got 4-5 inches tops, and it looks like the plows already came around. Was looking forward to some real blizzard carnage! 

Manhattan always escapes... We already had snow in Riverdale when I left for work yesterday morning and now looking out at the balcony I'd say it's a good 10 inches or so... Not too shabby. No MetroNorth but the express buses are running, which is what is important.

Hey in my area it's a wrap. So a special song to celebrate the return of the sun lol.

Same here in the Boggie Down Bronx. Beautiful bright clear sunny skies. This is great.

Love the Beatles song posted, so fitting:

"Here comes the sun, and I say It's all right ..... Little darling It's been a long, cold lonely winter.... little darling.... It feels like years since we've been here......"

Hey come to Poughkeepsie my friend. Got around 12-16 inches (depending on town lol)in my area. Or go to Stony Brook, Long Island they got 2 feet. Or even to Downtown Boston they could set an all time record of over 30 inches. So MHV you just missed the fun lol.

Definitely, you guys got nailed up there! I heard 38 inches in CT from one guy, now that's a ton of snow.

Manhattan always escapes... We already had snow in Riverdale when I left for work yesterday morning and now looking out at the balcony I'd say it's a good 10 inches or so... Not too shabby. No MetroNorth but the express buses are running, which is what is important.

Usually escapes...the Boxing Day Blizzard it was insane outside, every car, bus, and truck stuck in the snow. But yeah, that's usually the case. Thank god the express buses are running!!!!

Just watching on news. Why the hell did not Nassau/Suffolk on Long Island have a driving ban on all cars? They did in Ct,. Rhode Island and Mass. Tons of cars/trucks and even police cars stuck on the LIE, Sunrise Highway/Route 27 and 347/Northern State.

Was reading the Boston papers websites and while some b itched and moaned about their Governor banning all forms of cars/trucks, it might have saved lives. Maybe Gov. Cuomo should have done that for Long Island roads. Reactions from our LI regulars such as Lilbluefoxie etc?

Usually escapes...the Boxing Day Blizzard it was insane outside, every car, bus, and truck stuck in the snow. But yeah, that's usually the case. Thank god the express buses are running!!!!

Well yeah there is no MetroNorth and the subways are messed up too, so yeah thank God the express buses are running!!!  :D

We got a crapload of snow up here on the North Shore of Queens and Long Island. I was right, snow blower passed away this morning at the age of 20+ years, good ol' Craftsman. Still, I managed to shovel myself and my car out of the driveway this morning.

Some pictures i found of New Haven....

8458350503_5ed4a55f39_b.jpg

8458349609_ee5b4fa0a2_b.jpg

8458348993_31ae77ab02_b.jpg

8458348463_a0e427b0d6_b.jpg

8458346731_6a886b6c19_b.jpg

8458340421_f19195244a_b.jpg

8458351211_940a109757_b.jpg

8459456222_25989b35d3_b.jpg

8458354613_0869655ce1_b.jpg

8458355285_a4a11e1fed_b.jpg

8458356999_16171e9757_b.jpg

8459461042_eca60ff49d_b.jpg

8458362443_0b869817f6_b.jpg

8458363291_a8dc8361a8_b.jpg

8459469134_e503de8510_b.jpg

8459471208_b4614c7050_b.jpg

8458105647_5110c70669_b.jpg

8459208252_e7a243edd3_b.jpg

Friggin icy streets in Queens almost got me killed the other day... Some guy in an Acura spun out on a fast corner, went sliding onto the sidewalk with me on it! Haven't run that fast in years...

another thing that pisses me off about the snow: a holes who didn't bother to clear off at least most of the snow off their roofs. They just let the snow fall off onto the road and be everyone else's problem. If it were up to me, I'd give them a ticket for that.

another thing that pisses me off about the snow: a holes who didn't bother to clear off at least most of the snow off their roofs. They just let the snow fall off onto the road and be everyone else's problem. If it were up to me, I'd give them a ticket for that.

If I was a homeowner, I wouldn't fin to go on no roof to clear off snow; stuff's gonna eventually melt anyway.....

Who's roof hovers over a city street for that to happen though....

I'm not exactly sure what your gripe is, to tell the truth - are you perhaps referring to an awning ?

If I was a homeowner, I wouldn't fin to go on no roof to clear off snow; stuff's gonna eventually melt anyway.....

I'm not exactly sure what your gripe is, to tell the truth - are you perhaps referring to an awning ?

I think he's talking about snow on top of people's cars.

It was a direct reply to MVH's post about a near encounter with a car. I'm not expecting the person to clear the roof of the car* to the point you can see the metal, but is there a reason a person has a 5" layer on the whole roof and hood of the car? That's what I mean. Get on a small step stool or somewhere you can get high enough to brush off the large portion of snow. Imo, a person shouldn't be on the street with the car fully covered as if it just got hit with snow instantly. They need to do everyone a favor and clear off some of the snow, that's all. Last thing we need is more snow on the road to melt and freeze back into ice.

It was a direct reply to MVH's post about a near encounter with a car. I'm not expecting the person to clear the roof of the car* to the point you can see the metal, but is there a reason a person has a 5" layer on the whole roof and hood of the car? That's what I mean. Get on a small step stool or somewhere you can get high enough to brush off the large portion of snow. Imo, a person shouldn't be on the street with the car fully covered as if it just got hit with snow instantly. They need to do everyone a favor and clear off some of the snow, that's all. Last thing we need is more snow on the road to melt and freeze back into ice.

Alright, cool... I thought you were referring to the roof of a house..... Didn't see w/e post of MHV's you're referring to, before the fact....

Ok, so if you have a problem with that, then I would presume you have a problem with someone that shovels snow directly onto the roads themselves..... If that is the case, where would you suggest ppl. shovel snow when they're blocked in, parked along the curbside?

Well ideally onto the parking lane or on the curb. People shouldn't be driving around with so much snow on their cars like that. I'd rather there be more snow around the area they had to dig their cars out of than to create new hazards elsewhere. I've seen some snow piles that were as tall as a car because that's the only place to put it, stack on top. At some points with the way the trucks plows the snow back into the driveway, I sorta don't blame ppl shoveling the snow onto the street (not that I support that), but because it is frustrating to clear the driveway and then the plow truck pushing snow back into the spot.

Thank god for the rain, it helped melt some of that snow. I'm so pissed there's going to be more snow this week. It's 2010-11 all over again, it never ends....

Archived