ORION V CNG's are Retiring.... Let's make it a Big Year for them!!!

obregonmichael5

My first ride on an O5 CNG, was on the Bx15, when I was really really young. That was one of the best rides I ever took. I have a full length video of one on the B103 to Downtown Brooklyn, and the JFK Shuttle, so that should do for now.

My first ride on an O5 CNG, was on the Bx15, when I was really really young. That was one of the best rides I ever took. I have a full length video of one on the B103 to Downtown Brooklyn, and the JFK Shuttle, so that should do for now.

That was only 3 to 4 years ago.

I've mentioned this before, but #740 was the first Command Bus I ever rode, and that was just about two weeks ago. To add, it was also a great ride, if you think bouncing around is great. Never have I clinged to dear life on a bus before.

Queens Surface Corp., and later College Point, had the Q101, Q101R, Q102, Q103, and the Q104, meaning that up until early 2010, the CNGs were running on Steinway. I'm pretty sure I took a CNG on the Q101, and I might have taken one on the Q104, because that takes me from Broadway station to Costco. I rode CNG #9920 on the (A) shuttle, and then #9860 on the Q19. 

BTW, does anyone remember how often Triboro's CNGs were used on the local lines? All I remember are the RTS.

I remember seeing o5s on the q33? One of the north south lines that went thru Jackson heights. I clearly remember the mismatched pannels around the rear lights. I have seen them on various local lines, they were probably interlined or just whatever was ready to run. I remember the ride on the q53, fun ride. The cng RTSs weren't as common, but you will never forget them because they will lean like it was going to tip over.

I remember before the doomsday cuts, they used Orion V CNG buses on the QM1 and QM1A. Now on the QM1, QM5, QM6, QM7, QM8, all I see is MCI's. So sad.

Yup, I don't think they were ever used on the QM3 either, Would have been cool to see express (MTA) V CNGs on Northern Blvd.

The 05 CNG's I grew up on were the JG Origionals untill they were canned in 2009, and then I somehow got really lucky and got the honor of riding on almost every ex CP Orion 5 that ever went to JG with the acception of 9890 and 9903 the first two that came over, I have a 25 Minute recording of 9829 and a ton of memories of riding them on the B4 and B68, then in 2010 I took my first ride on an EX Command Orion 5 CNG and that was Black Friday on bus 728 on the B100 and I instantly thought the 700's were the probably the best buses in the MTA fleet at the time. So every time I took the B100 I would take an Orion 5, surprisingly the last one I rode was 746 before it stopped running at SC, so it will beg-d aweful when these buses bite the dust, so thank you for letting me voice my opinion.

The 05 CNG's I grew up on were the JG Origionals untill they were canned in 2009, and then I somehow got really lucky and got the honor of riding on almost every ex CP Orion 5 that ever went to JG with the acception of 9890 and 9903 the first two that came over, I have a 25 Minute recording of 9829 and a ton of memories of riding them on the B4 and B68, then in 2010 I took my first ride on an EX Command Orion 5 CNG and that was Black Friday on bus 728 on the B100 and I instantly thought the 700's were the probably the best buses in the MTA fleet at the time. So every time I took the B100 I would take an Orion 5, surprisingly the last one I rode was 746 before it stopped running at SC, so it will beg-d aweful when these buses bite the dust, so thank you for letting me voice my opinion.

You know, I only saw Orion V CNG #317 once. It was on the B75 on jay street back in summer 2004.

Why not just settle for a diesel? At least then you won't have to get a certification every 10 or 15 years.

it's just that Orion V CNG's my favorite bus especially the CNG Tank. If i do buy a ex QSC or Triboro, i would repainted back to it's original color and MAN! I would drive it as the Q53 to the beach after repairing the sandy superstorm!!!!!!!!!

it's just that Orion V CNG's my favorite bus especially the CNG Tank. If i do buy a ex QSC or Triboro, i would repainted back to it's original color and MAN! I would drive it as the Q53 to the beach after repairing the sandy superstorm!!!!!!!!!

Do you have the $$$?

Do you have the $$$?

nope, cuz you guys don't want to get my model bus product, but either way, i'm trying to contact CBOA but they didn't reply. Guys, try to support me to create a Bus Museum!!!!!!!!!!! cuz I will flip out if I don't get that bus or tried too  :)

Alright. If you've actually noticed those buses are beat to hell. They've served their purpose, and sadly they need to be put down. It was indeed fun while it lasted but bye bye!!

I never quit man... you r a most likely no faith.. but how did CBOA got thier buses by the time of now....... exactly!!!!!

but I don't want to go off topic!!!!!

Not sure why this needed its own topic to begin with....

I mean....THIS thread should've sufficed enough...

I never quit man... you r a most likely no faith.. but how did CBOA got thier buses by the time of now....... exactly!!!!!

Thats because THEY KNOW how to take care of their equipment....they are all experienced in the field of transportation including buses....are you?? I think not...

I know the guys in that little group, seen and rode some of their equipment for myself! Do you know the trouble they'd have to go through just to secure a CNG-powered bus?!?!

It's not worth it, they recently had to scrap a bus to cut costs recently

Not sure why this needed its own topic to begin with....

I mean....THIS thread should've sufficed enough...

Thats because THEY KNOW how to take care of their equipment....they are all experienced in the field of transportation including buses....are you?? I think not...

but still learning. You think i get all info from the internet, NO!!! I go to book stores buying alot of bus books, manufacturing books, engine manuals, and much much more. I know motorist, auto mechanics, and friends who builds technology. Ya people wanna start, bs.

but still learning. You think i get all info from the internet, NO!!! I go to book stores buying alot of bus books, manufacturing books, engine manuals, and much much more. I know motorist, auto mechanics, and friends who builds technology. Ya people wanna start, bs.

My problem is that you mention the CBOA without acknowledging the fact that they don't even have a CNG bus, apples to oranges. There is a reason why they don't have one, because with their age and with the tanks and maintenance, its too much trouble. Securing the CNG bus itself is a total pain in the ass. Securing a diesel is MUCH different and more easier...

My problem is that you mention the CBOA without acknowledging the fact that they don't even have a CNG bus, apples to oranges. There is a reason why they don't have one, because with their age and with the tanks and maintenance, its too much trouble. Securing the bus itself is a total pain in the ass.

like if no vintage bus organization or museum never owned a CNG bus. Of course CBOA never had one but other organization have the CNG. So wat, other organization have the CNG bus. If they can do it, then I can!

like if no vintage bus organization or museum never owned a CNG bus. Of course CBOA never had one but other organization have the CNG. So wat, other organization have the CNG bus. If they can do it, then I can!

Good luck.

lol

Actually, I have never heard of any preservation company that preserves CNG buses... they don't have CNG fuel.

Actually, I have never heard of any preservation company that preserves CNG buses... they don't have CNG fuel.

there is one.... i forgot though

I'm proud to have driven these buses, they were actually my favorite from WF aside from the D60's.

some places do have natural gas.

Listen, CNG buses are not worth owning on a personal level.  Sure you can get one for cheap, I just saw some C40LF's for like $2,000, but that is just the initial cost.  True cost of ownership means paying for routine maintenance, getting the CNG tanks re-certified and making up for all of the neglected maintenance just to name a few.  Now you have to factor in; insurance, registration, inspection etc.... It all adds up fairly quickly.

Archived