New B84 Route Being Proposed

Metro CSW

Brooklynbus thought of a good counterproposal.  It entails operating the Q8 via Fountain Ave in both directions, and operating alternate trips via Ashford St.  It also details the elimination of the B20, but that's besides the point.

By operating the Q8 via Ashford St, requirements increase by one bus, and costs are fully reimbursable.  For the B84, requirements increase by two buses, and costs are NOT reimbursable; do the math.

Should there be institutional issues, they should be worked out for the public good.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just My 2 cents.... i dont see what this 84 has to do with the 6! They wont change 6 service because of the 84, and why cut the service down Between New Lots and Rockaway parkway? Dont really make sense to me!

I don't see how this would replace the B83 extension.  If they didn't want to use Shore Parkway in the first place, they wouldn't have done it.  More likely, they will save money by operating this route by running fewer B6s to New Lots and more to Rockaway Parkway. Of course they won't tell you this.  Anyway, I think it is a good idea, but it should run every 20 minutes, not every 30 minutes, which is ridiculous and assures low ridership.

Just My 2 cents.... i dont see what this 84 has to do with the 6! They wont change 6 service because of the 84, and why cut the service down Between New Lots and Rockaway parkway? Dont really make sense to me!

According to my friend, they already reduced B6 service by cutting the limited from New Lots to Rockaway Parkway.  If true, that's how they may be paying for the B84.

According to my friend, they already reduced B6 service by cutting the limited from New Lots to Rockaway Parkway.  If true, that's how they may be paying for the B84.

Yeah, It has been that way since last Summer. All limited service are label to Rockaway Parkway. <_<

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the public Hearing on Wednesday, March 7.  Approximately 30 people showed up.  I spoke about 15 minutes into the hearing.  I proposed the following:

• Extend the Q7 (operated by MTA Bus) to GCM instead of a new B84;
  • Operate the B15 via Linden Blvd. up to Ashford St;
  • Operate the B20 via Flatlands Ave between Penn Ave and Crescent St (speed humps to be removed); AND
  • Operate the Q8 (also operated by MTA Bus via Fountain Ave in both directions (NB via Logan St one block to remain as is).

But if they don't want to do what I proposed at least they could extend the Q7.  Costs are fully reimbursable by the City of New York, whareas with a new B84 they are not reimbursable; do the math.

Should there be institutional issues, they should be worked out for the public good.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the public Hearing on Wednesday, March 7.  Approximately 30 people showed up.  I spoke about 15 minutes into the hearing.  I proposed the following:

• Extend the Q7 (operated by MTA Bus) to GCM instead of a new B84;
  • Operate the B15 via Linden Blvd. up to Ashford St;
  • Operate the B20 via Flatlands Ave between Penn Ave and Crescent St (speed humps to be removed); AND
  • Operate the Q8 (also operated by MTA Bus via Fountain Ave in both directions (NB via Logan St one block to remain as is).
But if they don't want to do what I proposed at least they could extend the Q7.  Costs are fully reimbursable by the City of New York, whareas with a new B84 they are not reimbursable; do the math.

What were other people commenting about?

• 2 weeks later...

Praising the B84, and how it will help their commute, be it to work or school, or for shopping.

Whether its a Q7 extension or a new B84, the people will be happy.

But, as I stated above, a Q7 extension would be a boon for the MTA, as that it would cost them absolutely nothing.  In this case, that's a good thing.

Praising the B84, and how it will help their commute, be it to work or school, or for shopping.

Whether its a Q7 extension or a new B84, the people will be happy.

But, as I stated above, a Q7 extension would be a boon for the MTA, as that it would cost them absolutely nothing.  In this case, that's a good thing.

Thanks for the info. I have a coworker who lives along Ashford St and likes the B84 as well. It gives Ashford St peeps connection to the mall......

Yeah, It has been that way since last Summer. All limited service are label to Rockaway Parkway. <_<

The (B6) LTD signs are still up along Cozine/Glenwood and Ashford St as well....

Thanks for the info. I have a coworker who lives along Ashford St and likes the B84 as well. It gives Ashford St peeps connection to the mall......

The (B6) LTD signs are still up along Cozine/Glenwood and Ashford St as well....

Perhaps the MTA neglected to notify DOT of the change.

Guest MTA Bus

All of the new routes that the MTA are proposing are not bad ideas, however it's how they are planning the routing of the new routes. In my opinion, I would merge it with the B83.

My 1000th post  Yay  :D  :D

• 3 weeks later...

Did any body read the Staff Summary report for the B84 in this month's Transit Committee meeting?  At the bottom of page 7.23, I said, "The MTA should conduct a cost/benefit analysis...such as rerouting the Q7, Q8, B15, B20, and B7."

NYCT's claim that "limited funds were available for this route..." has absolutely NOTHING to do with conducting a cost/benefit analysis.

As that operating costs for MTA Bus are fully reimbursable, an extension of the Q7 would cost the MTA nothing.  ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!

I hope that the Transit Committee forces NYCT to extend the Q7 instead of a new service costing the MTA $900,000 per year!

Should Operations Planning claim that won't be enough time to "do the right thing", the Transit Committee should rebut by saying that they should have thought of that when they were planning this service!

Further proof that NYCT continues to mismanage the riding public's revenue and funds.

Better idea extend it to queens and serve an under served corridor cough*baisley*cough via belt and airtrain lefferts.

#1. There's no demand for it.

#2. Too far off.

#3. We have the B15, Q7 & Q8 for that.

Soooo NO!

#1. There's no demand for it.

#2. Too far off.

#3. We have the B15, Q7 & Q8 for that.

Soooo NO!

#1 B15 doesn't reach that part of queens 

#2 It's literally a 10 min or less segment between gateway mall and 150th street.

#3 Q7 doesn't serve gateway mall and Q8 is nowhere near baisley so your argument is utter 

bullshit!!! overruled try again.

Have a nice day you couldn't even use a proper argument to refute my suggestion using routes that have nothing to do with the areas in question so your argument is a hilarious fail.

Archived