Lots of Orion 5s on the S79 today

LRG

Today I counted SIX Orion 5s on the S79 this morning. Numbers in order I saw them were 6312, 6322, 6332, 6320, 6289 and 6309. I caught 6322 at the Transit Center and rode it to 86th Street and then back to Staten Island to the mall.

I wonder what's up...I've seen one or two Orion 5s on the S79 since the SBS changeover but never this many.

I think sometimes they pull certain types of buses to get serviced in bunches... I've noticed this with the Prevosts as well...

As said a while back, probably new management and they just throw anything on the S79. Either that or yukon is REALLY short on buses.

No, I doubt that... They only do that if they're short on buses or those buses need to be serviced.  Probably the later since they don't have that many local lines.  It's something they've been doing out there not only with Yukon but with Castleton as well where they'll pull out the oldies while the newer buses are service because you'll see tons of the O5s, which makes me wanna barf, esp. since they're usually filthy inside and out.  Then a few days later you'll see the new buses again in heavy circulation.

Hmm... Thinking about this further it could be that their hybrids have issues with the hills when it snows and so they may try to put fewer of those buses out.  This has happened during previous snow storms too out there.  A B/O mentioned this to me about Riverdale too with certain types of local buses having problems in the snow and the hills.

I think sometimes they pull certain types of buses to get serviced in bunches... I've noticed this with the Prevosts as well...

No, I doubt that... They only do that if they're short on buses or those buses need to be serviced.  Probably the later since they don't have that many local lines.  It's something they've been doing out there not only with Yukon but with Castleton as well where they'll pull out the oldies while the newer buses are service because you'll see tons of the O5s, which makes me wanna barf, esp. since they're usually filthy inside and out.  Then a few days later you'll see the new buses again in heavy circulation.

Hmm... Thinking about this further it could be that their hybrids have issues with the hills when it snows and so they may try to put fewer of those buses out.  This has happened during previous snow storms too out there.  A B/O mentioned this to me about Riverdale too with certain types of local buses having problems in the snow and the hills.

I'm going with the "don't-want-hybrids-up-snowy-hills" theory. Those things accelerate like a bat out of hell from a standing start to 35 mph on a flat surface, but that hybrid powertrain is light on horsepower and there's no transmission to let it spread its wings a bit...so hills are not their friends, especially in heavy snow.

Except for 4273, which I was on this Wednesday. That bus is a freak of nature technology and absolutely hauls ass, even up the bridge.

I'm going with the "don't-want-hybrids-up-snowy-hills" theory. Those things accelerate like a bat out of hell from a standing start to 35 mph on a flat surface, but that hybrid powertrain is light on horsepower and there's no transmission to let it spread its wings a bit...so hills are not their friends, especially in heavy snow.

Except for 4273, which I was on this Wednesday. That bus is a freak of nature technology and absolutely hauls ass, even up the bridge.

Very true... Youngblaze mentioned having a terrible time with certain types of buses in the bad weather esp. trying to get up the hills... The bus can skid all over the place.

For what it's worth, I've been seeing more of the wrapped buses on the S59 & S78. As for the hills, I can't think of any particularly hilly areas along the S79, but I guess that could be a reason. (Unless we're talking about the VZNB, or maybe between Forest Hill Road & Arthur Kill Road as it goes over that creek, but I don't think it's that steep)

There are four more Orion 5s on the S79: 6294, 6186, 6346 and 6306. 6299 was on the S79 school tripper from CSI High School but that run is finished.

I think it may have something to do with new management becauase there are a lot of wrapped hybrids on the other Yukon lines. I saw 4271 on the S44 and 4272 on the S62, both wrapped.

You don't see this happen out of MJQ, wrapped hybrids used for the M34/M34A on other local lines, or unwrapped hybrids or regular local buses on those lines either. But if it were up to me, I'd have 13 Orion 5s and 13 Orion 7s wrapped to balance the fleet age on the S79.

There are four more Orion 5s on the S79: 6294, 6186, 6346 and 6306. 6299 was on the S79 school tripper from CSI High School but that run is finished.

I think it may have something to do with new management becauase there are a lot of wrapped hybrids on the other Yukon lines. I saw 4271 on the S44 and 4272 on the S62, both wrapped.

You don't see this happen out of MJQ, wrapped hybrids used for the M34/M34A on other local lines, or unwrapped hybrids or regular local buses on those lines either. But if it were up to me, I'd have 13 Orion 5s and 13 Orion 7s wrapped to balance the fleet age on the S79.

Yeah that is odd... The thing with those Quill buses is they only equipped so many of them for the SBS service so they basically stay on the M34/M34A for that reason.  Yukon is just retarded and disorganized... They don't have that many local routes so it isn't too surprising how they're running things.

Yeah that is odd... The thing with those Quill buses is they only equipped so many of them for the SBS service so they basically stay on the M34/M34A for that reason.  Yukon is just retarded and disorganized... They don't have that many local routes so it isn't too surprising how they're running things.

&

I don't know if it has something to do with them being more express-oriented than local-oriented. But low-floors don['t do great in the snow anyway. HOWEVER, it happens once in a while on the Bx12 and M15, as they will use unwrapped Nova Artics or New Flyer D60HFs on the SBS Lines.

Report for Orion 5s on the S79 today: 6298, 6089, 6333, 6336, 6334, 6345.

I honestly think it was the biggest waste of money wrapping all those Hybrids and calling it the "Select Bus Service", they were better off just calling it the S79 Limited. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who thinks this way too. 

BTW Orion 5 on the S79 FTW! 

Well, I think it might have to do with getting federal funding (they could call it "Bus Rapid Transit" if it's SBS). In any case, it probably didn't cost a whole lot to wrap the buses, which was basically the only real cost. (The issue I have is the fact that the limited service runs all day, when in the early morning, it should just run local, but that's a different topic)

As for the second comment, I concur. B-)

So now it's such a rarity for the S79 to run V's. Ha, I recall when the V's were the backbone of S.I. bus fleet. In fact, I remember getting an RTS on your trip was like a godsend, lol.

Well at least the S78 for the most part still runs V's. I would love to come out and ride that route again, especially with that extension to Bricktown. Nothing better than two hours on an Orion V.

Well, Charleston is closed on weekends. On weekends, the S74 and X17 is handed over to Yukon and the S78 is handed over to Castleton. Castleton is notorious for running their newest fleet non-stop..nothing but 7000s on the S78 as I speak (check on Bus Time). However, Yukon runs a fair mix of buses on its lines so you'll never have to wait long for an Orion 5.

It was nice while it lasted...no 6000s on the S79 now :( Oh well, life goes on.

Well, Charleston is closed on weekends. On weekends, the S74 and X17 is handed over to Yukon and the S78 is handed over to Castleton. Castleton is notorious for running their newest fleet non-stop..nothing but 7000s on the S78 as I speak (check on Bus Time). However, Yukon runs a fair mix of buses on its lines so you'll never have to wait long for an Orion 5. It was nice while it lasted...no 6000s on the S79 now :( Oh well, life goes on.

It's all 7000s on the S53/S93 on weekdays nowadays. I know they'll maintain them, but the long routes and crush loads will take a toll on those buses.

They run their 6000s on weekdays on the S53 and S93, mainly during rush hours though.

Makes sense. Any idea how many? I keep seeing 7000s getting packed with block-long crowds from the R train. Haven't gotten lucky with seeing any Orion 5's the past month.

Makes sense. Any idea how many? I keep seeing 7000s getting packed with block-long crowds from the R train. Haven't gotten lucky with seeing any Orion 5's the past month.

It depends...can't really give you a fixed amount.

How many Orion Vs remain on the island?

Between 100 and 150.

Archived