Career woes, perceived racism fuel ex-cop's anger

DJ MC

Christopher Dorner sees himself as a crusader, a 6-foot, 270-pound whistleblower who confronted racism early in life and believes he suffered in his career and personal life for challenging injustices from bigotry to dishonesty.

He fulfilled his lifelong dream of becoming a Los Angeles police officer in 2005, but saw it unravel three years later when he was fired after a police review board decided he falsely accused his training officer of kicking a mentally ill man in the face and chest. The incident led Dorner to plot violent revenge against those he thought responsible for his downfall, according to a 14-page manifesto police believe he authored because there are details in it only he would know.

Read more: Source

Any opinions?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting. I would have myself but the story kept evolving. I'll say this. Dorner seems like a good man and it's obvious the LAPD wronged him somehow. So it's obvious Dorner would go directly after law enforcement. The police themselves aren't innocent either. Police all over Southern California are trigger happy and are using this as scapegoat. It's now a shoot first, question later situation statewide. Many innocent people have been injured in fatalities by the police. A clusterf**k to say the least.

While I don't condone shooting and killing anyone for what happened in the past, it's not shocking this has to do with corruption within the LAPD. I've heard a lot of negative things about the LAPD, some of which is hard to believe, but sadly is true. This just really makes cops across the nation look bad and I have a feeling there is a lot more to this story then what has already been revealed.

I couldn't even finish reading the two articles in that one article posted in the OP. Very disturbing considering the racial complexity of that situation with the level of corruption involved and I'll leave it at that and keep my true feelings about this tragedy to myself only.. That's all I can say about this for now. I'm at a loss for words with this.

I can remember though a cop in full uniform that committed suicide. An NYPD officer on the job in full uniform!! if you wish to google it it's a daily news article over a facebook dispute which I can relate to as I went through one myself that seriously became a extremely dangerous situation. I guess by now you guys know what my ordeal was.

Now my distant cousin is a correction officer. He told me very disturbing stories about corruption and deadly situtations that parallels that of the LAPD or the NYPD which turned my stomach.

That's all I will say about this incident as I am quite reserved in what I think about this. Carry on guys. I'm moving on to the next thread.

I recognize that the LAPD isn't completely innocent, but I definitely am worried for them. I mean, most of these cops don't have anything to do with his firing and their lives are in danger. Not just the LAPD, but along with neighboring counties and even San Diego. I can't imagine being able to go to sleep properly at night knowing a dangerous killer out there with an assault rifle is coming after me and the rest of my colleagues. I hope they capture Dorner before any more die.

He's a criminal, he's no better than the people he's angry with

You could easily argue a large portion of the LAPD (or police nationwide in general) are criminals as well. They can get away with it not only because of the power they hold, but many wouldn't even suspect it.

Let's be honest, the majority of law enforcement personal are on a power trip. It is the mentality and lifestyle advocated by police departments across the nation. Now basically what the LAPD is doing is trying to kill him to "shut him up".

That's all I have to say for now.

I recognize that the LAPD isn't completely innocent, but I definitely am worried for them. I mean, most of these cops don't have anything to do with his firing and their lives are in danger. Not just the LAPD, but along with neighboring counties and even San Diego. I can't imagine being able to go to sleep properly at night knowing a dangerous killer out there with an assault rifle is coming after me and the rest of my colleagues. I hope they capture Dorner before any more die.

Like I said, the majority of the LAPD advocate a hostile environment. If innocent officers are harmed, then the LAPD should be held at least somewhat accountable.

My sister who lives in San Diego area told me both the local SD and LA area tv news stations have regularly broken into programming with updates on the manhunt for this former cop.

I don't know the full details on this story so I wont comment on it. However in general the LAPD has long been accused as being the most corrupt big city police force in America going back to Rodney King 20-plus years ago. Not to mention their trigger happy attitude as well.

With that said, this manhunt has now gotten national/international media attention. It's almost like a Hollywood movie but real life.

PS Not trying to make light on serious matter but does not Mr. Dorner look little like James Todd Smith aka LL Cool J. :o

You could easily argue a large portion of the LAPD (or police nationwide in general) are criminals as well. They can get away with it not only because of the power they hold, but many wouldn't even suspect it.

Let's be honest, the majority of law enforcement personal are on a power trip. It is the mentality and lifestyle advocated by police departments across the nation. Now basically what the LAPD is doing is trying to kill him to "shut him up".

That's all I have to say for now.

Like I said, the majority of the LAPD advocate a hostile environment. If innocent officers are harmed, then the LAPD should be held at least somewhat accountable.

two wrongs don't make a right, corrupt cops do not excuse this persons behavior as he terrorizes Southern California. 

two wrongs don't make a right, corrupt cops do not excuse this persons behavior as he terrorizes Southern California. 

I'm not excusing Dorner's behavior, but you should feel the slightest bit of sympathy for this man. He's been through so much in his life and his experience in the LAPD drove him to his breaking point. The way it seems, the LAPD was going to go after him anyway, so he had nothing to lose. Payback is a bitch.

I also wanted to bring to light another issue as well, which is corruption. The LAPD know that when they shoot innocent people like this the officers involved get off without any penalty let alone any conviction. Reports of police assulting people for no legitimate reason and escaping all legal consequences.

There is more to this story than meets the eye. To just blow off some of his claims out of hand is extremely ridiculous. We know the LAPD has commited racist and brutal acts in the past. I don't think we should ignore Dorner's statments.

From lurking through this thread, all ears, I think both opposing points made by you guys IMO are indeed valid and breaks even, really. (For a lack of better words) The police officer should obviously be punished for the crime however on the flip side there is serious corruption and injustices carried out in the LAPD that lead up to this disaster of an incident in the first place. You guys are carrying on a debate on a very tough and complex issue here with no wrong answers.

In other words regarding the incident: It's just all f**ked up all around. 

It's rare to see intelligent debates like this one.  

This guy is a paranoid delusional and sounds a lot like the perpetrator  of the racially motivated Long Island Railroad massacre; Colin ferguson who blamed everyone from Caucasians," Uncle Tom Negroes", a" filthy Caucasian racist female on the #1 line", the New York State Workers' Compensation Board, Asians, Governor Mario Cuomo' and "so-called civil right leaders such as the Rev. Herbert Daughtry, C. Vernon Mason, and Calvin Butts" and corrupt 'black' attorneys who not only refuse to help me but tried to steal my car".

THe LAPD fired him because he was unstable.

"I never had the opportunity to have a family of my own. I'm terminating yours,"
He even tried to justify killing women and children because no woman wanted anything to do with him. Is it the responsibly of the LAPD to find him someone to copulate with?

This guy is a paranoid delusi

just cuz one's boss and coworkers are corrupt and they get you fired, doesn't give you the right to go on a shooting rampage. All this is going to do is land him in jail for a very long time when he gets caught, provided he isnt killed from the standoff.

Like I said, it isn't right, but he was/is going down anyway. Now he's ensuring he goes out with a bang.

From lurking through this thread, all ears, I think both opposing points made by you guys IMO are indeed valid and breaks even, really. (For a lack of better words) The police officer should obviously be punished for the crime however on the flip side there is serious corruption and injustices carried out in the LAPD that lead up to this disaster of an incident in the first place. You guys are carrying on a debate on a very tough and complex issue here with no wrong answers.

In other words regarding the incident: It's just all f**ked up all around.

It's rare to see intelligent debates like this one.  

Agreed on all points.

]This guy is a paranoid delusional and sounds a lot like Colin ferguson who blamed everyone from Caucasians," Uncle Tom Negroes", a" filthy Caucasian racist female on the #1 line", the New York State Workers' Compensation Board, Asians, Governor Mario Cuomo' and "so-called civil right leaders such as the Rev. Herbert Daughtry, C. Vernon Mason, and Calvin Butts" and corrupt 'black' attorneys who not only refuse to help me but tried to steal my car".

THe LAPD fired him because he was unstable.

"I never had the opportunity to have a family of my own. I'm terminating yours,"

He even tried to justify killing women and children because no woman wanted anything to do with him. Is it the responsibly of the LAPD to find him someone to copulate with?

I'm unaware of the trial that took place, so no comment.

Even if in fact the LAPD fired him due to his (lack of) metal stability, that is not what the preliminary and final reports stated. He was discraged by the board for "falsifying" testimony. So something is up either way.

No, but that is irrelevant to the main situation.

Employers do find any excuse in the book for firing a person out of pure retaliation for something that was not out of line of company rules and policies but over a grudge or an exposing of abuses and unfair practices on the part of the employer. I'm speaking from the private sector end of the working world.

Now with the case against this former PO, now killer, I don't know all the facts either, someone should research this and post their findings for us in this talk we are having, but absolutely there rare incidences of blatant false testimony and even bribery. People should know this. In fact I've seen it firsthand when I served in jury duty over a medical malpractice case. The doctor was found Innocent despite testimony from medical experts proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that the stupidity of the doctor who treated him left him paralyzed for life, clearly.

I mentioned this before in an unrelated discussion, my experience in a botched trial as a juror. This experience I've had I think it sort of holds some relevance here in this discussion.

No matter the outcome of what happens whether he kills himself or is arrested there is going to be some backlash from this. It's only a matter of time. Plus why is the media avoiding the incident where two unarmed women were gunned down by LAPD? Something is also wrong with that picture too.

Source

Ferguson also believed there was a massive white conspiracy against him. Lawyers tried to justify his actions with "Black Rage". 

Obviously Ferguson committed a heinous act that cost people's lives and so was convicted and justice served, but what you need to understand is that Afro-Americans are in fact still being racially discriminated today in a so-called post apartheid America in many direct and subtle ways. Black president in the oval office or not. And obviously this police officer in question, Dorner should be brought to justice by the fullest extent of the law for what he has done, however there is clearly injustices and racism that occurs within the LAPD as well.

I would like to hear your thoughts on that: The fact that racism is still alive and well contrary to what the masses refuses to believe? Including in law enforcement agencies? I can very easily give you a plethora of examples for your reference at your request if you like.

It's automatically understood these men in question are killers, but that's not my point nor SoSpetacular, or Turbo19. 

Too often today racism is used as an excuse. Airport security being an example. Every 9/11 terrorist was a young arabic male. Yet grandmothers from sweden are routinely singled out to prevent being called a racist institution. Young arab males should be screened more carefully not because of their ethnicity but because we know that Arabic ethnic paramilitaries are targeting the US aircraft. When the scandanavian old lady league comes for us; they should search em. The same story with stop and frisk.

My point with using colin ferguson as an example was that he constantly imagined racism where there was none. All this crying wolf is interfering with doing the best possible job and distracts from racism that does hold people back. A black male screaming racism at a white administrator for giving him some sort of punishment that is in line with the school discipline code is compromising the integrity of schools and does a disservice to everyone.

Also to make it abundantly clear to you, the words you were so appalled by are Colin Ferguson's.

Too often today racism is used as an excuse. Airport security being an example. Every 9/11 terrorist was a young arabic male. Yet grandmothers from sweden are routinely singled out to prevent being called a racist institution. Young arab males should be screened more carefully not because of their ethnicity but because we know that Arabic ethnic paramilitaries are targeting the US aircraft. When the scandanavian old lady league comes for us; they should search em. The same story with stop and frisk.

Your comment is akin to supporting racial profiling of all blacks by law enforcement law abiding citizens or not. 

You are saying that "young Arab ethnic males should not be screened because of their ethnicity but because young Arab ethnic paramilitaries are targeting US aircraft." That is a contradictory statement that would make a person clearly see that you are obviously implying the racist statement that ALL young Arab males are terrorists all in all, again red blooded American law abiding citizen or not.

And using this hypothetical scenerio in your comment to end your post concerning " when the old scandanavian old lady league comes for us, that they should search them too" that seems to be the logic you are using in your reasoning to validate your overall blanket statement concerning your prejudiced feelings about "Young Arab males" as all being terrorists for jihad militarily organizations and militias and should be screened regardless. Are you actually endorsing racist stereotypes in this discussion too, on top of racial profiling?

Are you even from New York City, the most culturally diverse city in practically the world? Because i will tell you like it is, you sure don't sound culturally aware like a true New Yorker. Yes I see the location field under your avatar that you are from Astoria. That's great. I'm from the South Bronx.

Don't play these word games with me. If you have reservations about people of different nationalities then come straight. 

Exactly my point. This has nothing to do with racism. It's about maximizing resources. There are 8 million people living in NYC. Police resources are scare and need to be allocated efficiently to maximize coverage area and effectiveness. 40,000 cops can't be on every street corner. Similarly with my airport example. There are 1 billion  airplane passengers in the US. Once again a lack of understanding of mathematics. I did not contradict myself. I said the reasoning for screening arab males more carefully should be because jihad terrorists are a subset of young male arabs. Approaches to computer security are done the same way, behavior that is similar to known exploits raise a red flag. In both cases the great majority of the cases  are innocent.

Archived