Dean Street

lupojohn

That may happen to be the case because nycsubway.org says quite the same:

http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Station:_Dean_Street_(Franklin_Shuttle)

But I don't really see the proximity problem. In the Bronx there are also stations very close together so that shouldn't be the problem.

Intervale came close to getting closed down too after a fire. I'm pretty sure that's the closest Bronx station (to Simpson St)

The main problem with the Dean St. station was it's disuse/misuse. The (MTA) wanted to close the entire Franklin Shuttle line for years and basically allowed it to fall into a state of decay. I can go all the way back to the late fifties-early sixties era and the station wasn't used as much as Park Place or the Fulton St terminal at Franklin. Part of the reason was it's location. The shuttle doesn't  really run on Franklin Avenue itself, a main street in the neighborhood, but the stations are actually located mid-block between Franklin and Classon Avenues. Depending on one's destination it was easier and quicker to walk to the terminal at Franklin-Fulton or wait on Franklin Avenue for a bus going in the other direction toward Prospect Park. To reach the station from Classon or Franklin you'd walk 1/2 a block to the station, climb some rickety stairs and wait on a crumbling wooden platform. It's only 3 blocks or so to the IND from Dean St so most people walked that way. Most of the factories that were located in the general area closed their doors years before the station itself was closed so the paying ridership base went with them. The next southbound station on the line, Park Place, had a ridership base because Brooklyn Jewish Hospital was located around the corner and the surroundings were generally safer when ridership was greater. Since the line only ran two trains most of the time paying customers didn't want to take the chance of just missing their train and having to wait on an isolated, decrepit platform. I really can't say I've ever saw Transit Police at Dean St unless there was a crime committed there or nearby. All things considered it was a station waiting for abandonment. The rampant fare-beating just made it easier to justify. I used to ride the 7 Brighton-Franklin line in my younger days on summer trips to Coney Island but as I grew older I watched the line and it's ridership slowly dwindle down to what we have today. Just my opinion. Carry on.

The outdoor section of the platforms were demolished due to safety hazards during the rebuild. They no longer exist.

Franklin Ave had a complete rebuild exactly and IMO it looks MUCH better then it did before the project began. Because the original structure as part of the Fulton St Elevated that was that station was on the verge of collapse necessitating a complete rebuild from the bottom up practically. Yeah, the line was really in appallingly bad shape. I think the abandoned section of the Culver El (the shuttle from 9th Ave to Ditmas in Brooklyn) that was demolished earlier in the 80's was actually more structurally sound then the Franklin Ave structure from what I remember as a 5 year old. 

In all yes the shuttle line save for Botanical Gardens looks completely different then it is now. Because it looks better. I think that overhaul was one of the finest MTA restoration projects ever done up to this date. 

Good catch, I think your right.

Botanical Garden is basically a whole new station compared to what it was back in High School. Moving it completely underground to the north made the transfer to the IRT easier.

On a side note about the station, did you ever notice the old station sign along the tunnel wall to the south just before the portal where the platform use to be? I wonder if its still there....

The main problem with the Dean St. station was it's disuse/misuse. The (MTA) wanted to close the entire Franklin Shuttle line for years and basically allowed it to fall into a state of decay. I can go all the way back to the late fifties-early sixties era and the station wasn't used as much as Park Place or the Fulton St terminal at Franklin. Part of the reason was it's location. The shuttle doesn't  really run on Franklin Avenue itself, a main street in the neighborhood, but the stations are actually located mid-block between Franklin and Classon Avenues.

Nailed it....it's really good when someone knowledgable posts.

The MTA wanted to scrap the whole shuttle....

The Dean St station was literally falling apart..I remember that from the 1980s and 1990s. No one really used that station.

Not to mention the surrounding area was pretty crime infested. Franklin Av was rough back then--extremely rough.

I am glad they salvaged the line, although I would have kept it two-tracked like it was before.

Carry on.

I agree. I wonder if they could've made the new Park Place an island platform with the entrance at the ends of the platforms than the way it is now. That or maybe they could just have the n/b side skip Park Pl and go directly to Franklin (which I don't think needs to be 2 tracks, just put the switch outside the station). I also hope the next time they have to do construction on this line, they extend the platforms to at least 300'. Keeping a 2 75'-car fleet must be a pita to have and limits flexibility especially how trains are going to be in married 4 or 5car sets.

Well IIRC, theres 3 or 4 2-car sets specifically for Franklin(they even removed the rollsigns)

And Im assuming that the way they scheduled the shuttle(i have yet to see more than 2 sets running at the same time), they have trains pass each other at BG and didnt see a need to have Park Pl double tracked whether one side skipped or not> If you think about it, Botanical GArded is the ONLY stop with 2 tracks. 

True. But even the R68s will have to retire and unless the R211s are 75' car trains and comes with a few AA pairs, it makes sense to be prepared for a fleet that requires trains longer than just 150'.

At least with a 2nd track, if one side has an obstruction, you still have the other track as a backup. I know it's rare, but I think it was short sighted to just single track the line north of the bridge to Park Place.

Botanical Garden is basically a whole new station compared to what it was back in High School. Moving it completely underground to the north made the transfer to the IRT easier.

On a side note about the station, did you ever notice the old station sign along the tunnel wall to the south just before the portal where the platform use to be? I wonder if its still there....

You never know. Even though it's been a decade in change since the overhaul, it very well could still be there .....

True. But even the R68s will have to retire and unless the R211s are 75' car trains and comes with a few AA pairs, it makes sense to be prepared for a fleet that requires trains longer than just 150'.

At least with a 2nd track, if one side has an obstruction, you still have the other track as a backup. I know it's rare, but I think it was short sighted to just single track the line north of the bridge to Park Place.

And I would be looking to go back to two tracks and 600' platforms for the entire Franklin Avenue Shuttle line on two fronts:

1. It would more immediately allow if we ever have a repeat of last summer with the fire at DeKalb avenue for the (Q) to be re-routed to Franklin Avenue.

2. In the future, it would allow for making Franklin Avenue a through station with the intention of connecting it to the existing portion of the Myrtle Avenue Line that would include a rebuilt upper level of the Myrtle Avenue-Broadway station as I would do (and suggested previously) as a "Black (V)" line that would run 600' trains from Metropolitan Avenue-Coney Island.  This line would run 24/7 as a local on the Brighton Line (The (Q) would become a 24/7 express to Brighton Beach and the (B) would become a second Brighton local on weekdays to Coney Island) while at the same time absorbing both the Franklin Shuttle full-time and the current (M) shuttle on weekends that would no longer need to be run (all stations on the Myrtle end would be extended to 600' platforms including if necessary rebuilding Metropolitan Avenue to do so).  There would also be one station from the old Myrtle Avenue line rebuilt (Sumner Avenue) and one new station that would be at Bedford-Nostrand with a transfer to the (G) there in the portion that connects the existing Myrtle Avenue and Franklin Avenue shuttle-Brighton lines. This also would have connections to and from the Broadway-Brooklyn line so in an emergency, the (Q) and/or (B) could use the Broadway-Brooklyn line between Myrtle Avenue and Essex Street (those stations would also be lengethened to 600', which would have the side benefit of allowing the (M) to be 600' trains at all times as well).

An idea I used to have, was to rebuild the Myrtle to Marcy, and then connect it to the (G), running under the line to Lafayette, and then using the stub tracks to join the line at Bedford-Nostrand.

This was when there was empty space around Marcy@Myrtle, but now they've built over it. 

And I would be looking to go back to two tracks and 600' platforms for the entire Franklin Avenue Shuttle line on two fronts:

1. It would more immediately allow if we ever have a repeat of last summer with the fire at DeKalb avenue for the (Q) to be re-routed to Franklin Avenue.

2. In the future, it would allow for making Franklin Avenue a through station with the intention of connecting it to the existing portion of the Myrtle Avenue Line that would include a rebuilt upper level of the Myrtle Avenue-Broadway station as I would do (and suggested previously) as a "Black (V)" line that would run 600' trains from Metropolitan Avenue-Coney Island.  This line would run 24/7 as a local on the Brighton Line (The (Q) would become a 24/7 express to Brighton Beach and the (B) would become a second Brighton local on weekdays to Coney Island) while at the same time absorbing both the Franklin Shuttle full-time and the current (M) shuttle on weekends that would no longer need to be run (all stations on the Myrtle end would be extended to 600' platforms including if necessary rebuilding Metropolitan Avenue to do so).  There would also be one station from the old Myrtle Avenue line rebuilt (Sumner Avenue) and one new station that would be at Bedford-Nostrand with a transfer to the (G) there in the portion that connects the existing Myrtle Avenue and Franklin Avenue shuttle-Brighton lines. This also would have connections to and from the Broadway-Brooklyn line so in an emergency, the (Q) and/or (B) could use the Broadway-Brooklyn line between Myrtle Avenue and Essex Street (those stations would also be lengethened to 600', which would have the side benefit of allowing the (M) to be 600' trains at all times as well).

that is a good idea but are you sure that Brighton local riders want to take (B) or (V) to an express station for (Q)?

id have it as follows:

LCL: (Q) ALL TIMES (V) ALL TIMES

EXP (B) WEEKDAYS AND WEEKENDS(NO LATE NIGHTS)

• 4 years later...
  • Lance locked this topic

Please note that the post in question was made five years ago. It's not surprising that the photo has since disappeared.

Friendly reminder to all newcomers: if a thread has not seen any activity in a while (use your own discretion), please refrain from bumping it unless absolutely necessary.

As always, welcome to the forums. Enjoy your stay.

Archived