School car in a Couple of Weeks - A Few Questions (Help!)

seaninny

I'm scheduled to start "school car" in a couple of weeks for Train Operator (Yard). Let me start off by stating I am currently employed and have to request resignation soon (I want to give two weeks) and I have a lot of fears and concerns about doing so. I recently passed medical and given the start date for Train Operator the same day. I thought it would start about 6 months later after passing a medical, thinking MTA likes to do everything early.

My main concern is failing "school car," and being terminated for the position. I don't have a "leave of absence" option with my current employer and they haven't given me assurances of a "rehire" with the organization if I want to come back. I am the main income earner of my household and I do not want to risk being unemployed, as great an oppurtunity MTA offers. The risk of failure, as small as it may be... has been eating at me for a number of days now. I passed medicals a few days ago and was surprised at how fast the start date was and I believe it has caught me off guard and the "what if" thoughts have been endless, causing a lot of stress and worry.

Now to my questions...

1. If you fail "school car" and are terminated for the T/O position, does the MTA still offer positions that would be available for "promotional candidates"? I'm thinking the answer is 'no,' and this is really my main concern. Are there any options for other MTA staffing positions, as a fall back, instead of going through the open competitive position and waiting another 3 or 4 years for a similar opportunity? My ideal scenario was to start as T/O and then apply for 'promotional" positions within an office setting.

2. Are there any options to request a delay or a hold on a start date and requesting alternative positions within MTA? I would rather work in an office setting within MTA and not take a risk pursuing the T/O position, which I know has high standards of qualifications. I have over 5 years of office experience with the city and my ideal position isn't as a T/O.

3. I've also sworn and accepted the position, right after the medicals. Does this affect my standing in MTA for future potential employment, if I decide not to pursue the position? I know I should have asked this to the HR officer who was assisting me, but she gave me reassurances that moving on to an office position was possible throughout, but I didn't consider the thought of failing "school car" at the time and any repercussions that may arrive from it.

4. At this stage, even though I haven't started the "school car" training and gone through the induction, am I considered an MTA employee? If yes, does that allow me to apply to an "open to current MTA employees" promotional job listing?

The reason I applied initially and still pursued medicals was of the great benefits/salary offered by MTA, but I've been reading about how you can be removed from "school car" at any moment, strict lateness policy and high testing standards. I thought the decision would be a lot easier and many of my friends say its a "no brainer," but when its you who has to make the decision and think about the people you are helping in the household, its really not a "no brainer". I will be trying to make contacts with HR at MTA, as well as my assigned contact at 130 Livingston, this Monday, but I wanted to post this here in hopes someone might have some helpful answers, information and/or ideas for me. It would be immensely appreciated. Thank you.

Ill make this quick go to Transit Career Discussions all yer questions will be answered..

Now I will tell you this...

You fail Schoolcar good bye no second chances no offers for other positions.. You hand in your stuff they say good bye..

Period..

You aren't anything to the MTA until you pass probation. In order to do that, you need to survive a year in your first title with a clean record. Until you reach that milestone, you are out the door if they don't like your face and you aren't eligible for promotions. It sounds to me like T/O isn't for you.....you might want to think twice before putting in your resignation.

1. If you fail school car as someone from the street you go back to the street. However they may offer you station cleaner if they got opening.

You can put yourself on the back of the list to delay your MTA employment but no guarantee they call you back.

If you don't want to be a T/O then don't. You may or may not get a job in a office. Most office jobs are filled by Station agents and Dispatchers. You need one year in title to be considered for a promotion. If you mess up the chances of promotions are greatly reduced.

T/O is a serious job with great responsibility.

• 2 weeks later...

I know exactly how your feeling, and I can offer you this advice.

Being a T/O is no joke.

School car is no joke.

I had the same fears you did, being late, failing, getting pulled out, etc....

First thing I can tell you is that your teachers (TSS's) will make every effort to help you get through school car and become a successfull T/O. Everyone I've met so far has gone out of there way to give advice, input and general info to help you out. As far as being late, yes you have to be on time, and more than likely you'll be a good 20-30 min early everyday. You'll be meeting at a station or yard most days. Download a subway ap like Embark and it will tell you how long it will take you to get to where you need to be. If the train is delayed , write the car # down and you'll be ok. They're not going to hang you out to dry if you show up at the station at 7:32. It's not like that. You, 9 other T/O's and 2 TSS's are a team and will work together as such. Don't get it twisted though. Show up 1/2 hr late without a phone call or are 5-10 minutes late on a regular basis an you're going to have a problem. I've already seen 2 g2's and a verbal lashing for such behavior. Get everyone's phone # in your class this way of there is an issue, you can let someone know. These guys aren't there to fail you. They're there to make you train operators. But you will not get through without doing your part. That means participating, reading at home, and asking questions. If you're not willing to do those 3 things, then you should probably think about staying where you are. As far as where the job can lead you, almost every TSS or superintendent started as a cleaner, t/o, conductor, etc.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Archived