(D) to Far Rockaway? (A) to Coney Island? Or a waste of programming.

Brighton Express

Not to my knowledge, no. There may have been one, but if there was, it was removed in a later update. Of course, that's all dependent on the amount of space on the computers. If I recall correctly, the 142s don't have nearly the storage capacity the 160s do.

I believe you recall correctly. 

I find it odd that storage limits are even relevant when the trains cost millions of dollars. Storage is cheap. And while they're working on that, they should wire up everything (either software or hardware) so they are all in sync. Sometimes the displays on one end of the car don't match the displays on the other end—and we're talking about within one single car.

Remember- The R142s are based on state of the art 1997 technology, not 2012 technology. Remember- something which gets bumped around as much as a train computer does must be foremost designed to deal with that. Also, I  believe such was not designed to be expanded. It wouldnt be the memory that is expensive, it would be the adding of the memory. 

In on-the-fly situations it's understandable. I'm referring to pre-planned service changes that are posted weeks in advance. Do C/Rs get full training and testing on how to use the system? If yes, there needs to be more testing. Too many times I've seen them just load up the generic (F) route and then do nothing as the train goes onto its planned-weeks-in-advance detour and the system announces wrong stations, etc.

Yes we are trained on how to use the 160. and it all depends on who's operating the 160. You might get a new conductor who's not that aware of the different choices on the menu for re-routes or got sent to the terminal because the regular conductor called out sick, or one working on his day off on a line that they haven't worked in years. thats why manual announcments are made. Thats why there's signs on the windows that the traffic checkers put up, thats why there's signs on the platform post or the large map on the platform for planned work. The rest of the public isn't as worried about this as some of you are. This whole topic is bizzare. These are the MTA's trains and they put whatever routes, announcments zig zags unused bullshit that they want. Why you guys are worried about wasted announcments and routes is beyond me & you feel we need more training then write a letter to the MTA or call them with your concern.

Why you guys are worried about wasted announcments and routes is beyond me & you feel we need more training then write a letter to the MTA or call them with your concern.

Don't tempt me, I might write a pretty nasty letter to the MTA regarding this issue over  the current state of (G) train service .........

that's how all the announcement systems work. They measure the distance a train travels and plays the announcement at a certain distance mark. This is why announcements are of-sync when the CR changes them on the go. 

That is not true. Some announcement systems around the world (even in the USA) work with GPS.

Don't tempt me, I might write a pretty nasty letter to the MTA regarding this issue over  the current state of (G) train service .........

They need to run 8 cars and frequently over there. I agree. I don't work the (G) but I do see crowds at Hoyt waiting for a train that never comes.

Indeed through the suggestions and concerns of many in the (G) train thread Harry posted as a thread starter several days ago (mine included as railfans in my case advocating for straphangers voicing out for the MTA as a company not the employees who are simply working hard to make a living Dan0579) you just in one post you summed it all up in your knowledge and experience as a veteran T/O the solution to the problem on the IND Crosstown Line. You would definetly know what is going on with that issue first hand and what needs to be done about it. No flattery. I am in total agreement with you, that is what the MTA superiors must do.

On a semi related note, is there a program on the R142s for the 2 to South Ferry? It's one thing I read that showed that even something as 'basic' was over looked while you have the 'out of the ordinary' reroute like the D to Far Rockaway.

As of the last time I looked, there wasn't. There is a (5) to South Ferry program though.....

Yeah, I know how they work, I just wasn't aware they've recorded distances for the entire system (even Grand Concourse).

And no offense to any C/Rs on here, but good lord how hard is the damn R160 route selection screen to work? I won't go into the (F) conductors thing in detail again, but...yeah. Just looks bad when they mess up on GOs.

One of the problems with the 160's is that it forbids you from changing the program, or even RESYNCING when the side doors are closed. You need to key open at least one door (or open all of them) in order for it to accept a change. This makes reprogramming the FINDs much more difficult, since it must be done when stopped in a station (and usually involves a million customers screaming at you through the window when you're trying to do it).

As of the last time I looked, there wasn't. There is a (5) to South Ferry program though.....

One of the problems with the 160's is that it forbids you from changing the program, or even RESYNCING when the side doors are closed. You need to key open at least one door (or open all of them) in order for it to accept a change. This makes reprogramming the FINDs much more difficult, since it must be done when stopped in a station (and usually involves a million customers screaming at you through the window when you're trying to do it).

I can remember when when we had the debut of the R160's on the (F) there was problems galore concerning this, thanks for the clue as to why this was happening. I was wondering why the train crews were constantly fighting with the errors on the FIND systems. Why in particular the (F) though I couldn't figure out as it seemed to me at least there was'nt too much problems even when these then new NTTs started to run in revenue service on the (A) way back when the MTA started rolling them out on the IND for the first time....

Can I mention they even had that "new car" smell? Just an observation....

I just find it interesting that not only do the 160's already have a (Q) to 96 St-2 Av program, they have FOUR of them (Broadway Exp, Broadway Lcl, via Whitehall and via 6 Av)

Going to need a Brighton express variation for those reroute later on…

When the 2nd av portion opens, which won't be till like 2016 according to the mta.

actually IIRC, during a Greg Mocker report on PIX about 2-3 weeks ago when he got a tour of the work being done, engineers mentioned that the work was late and may not be open till 2017-19

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk

Programming as much as routes as possible is good. Becasue when a Barn doesn't have enough train to provide to RTO (due to maintaince, over haul, mechanic/electri troubles etc), they they can borrow trains from other barns and run it on their line and avoid ABDs..... Its happening a lot right now, i saw may times a 4 train running on the 6 line (142A, which u can only program to that one line). I saw once, a coney island 160 train (Q or N) running on the F line which is Jamaca barn's line. (You can tell which train belongs to which barns by looking at the car numbers) So basically Jamaca borrowed Coney Island's R160 for that one day or even just for few trips, they were able to do that because you can program a R160 to any line/routes you wish. ..... SO its definitely not a waste. They came up with this ides while they were building the 142s and 143s.

Or maybe I messed up? Maybe it was the 142s programmed with a IND/BMT route? I know that either the 142s or 160s have a route programmed for an area they can't run to because of the known differences between IRT/IND-BMT.

(N) via Flushing, maybe?

Archived