Donohue: MTA sees progress from safety measures meant to prevent the death of transit workers

Harry

post-5097-0-95708300-1360590163_thumb.jpg
Nearly 240 transit workers have been killed on the job since 1946, most of them hit by trains. The last such death was in 2007, which makes this the second-longest stretch without a fatality on record. NYC Transit and the Transport Workers Union imposed new safety regulations for track workers, train crews and dispatchers after the 2007 death. A group of workers took in safety lessons this weekend.

Read more: nydailynews

I've read that before 1946, track workers were being killed all the time and management did nothing to prevent it. There was no such thing as safety precautions. Not even any protective gear, just flashlights. The prevailing attitude was if a worker was killed, it was his own fault or being stupid and not taking precautions. Mike Quill worked hard to change that attitude, giving management some responsibility, by requiring safety helmets, vests, etc. I'm surprised the article doesn't mention much about prior to 1946.

I've read that before 1946, track workers were being killed all the time and management did nothing to prevent it. There was no such thing as safety precautions. Not even any protective gear, just flashlights. The prevailing attitude was if a worker was killed, it was his own fault or being stupid and not taking precautions. Mike Quill worked hard to change that attitude, giving management some responsibility, by requiring safety helmets, vests, etc. I'm surprised the article doesn't mention much about prior to 1946.

Prior to 1946, every industry had totally unsafe procedures for their employees, it was not just the MTA. 

Archived