Pope Benedict 16 to retire: New global head of Catholic Church to be selected by Easter

Shortline Bus

pope12n-4-web.jpg

The Pope is stepping down, the Vatican said on Monday in a shocking announcement.

Pope Benedict XVI will resign on Feb. 28 — citing his deteriorating health — and will become the first pontiff to leave office in nearly 600 years.

The former Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger became leader of the world's 1.2 billion Catholics in 2005 at age 78 — already the oldest pope elected in almost three centuries

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/pope-benedict-xvi-resign-feb-28-article-1.1260625#ixzz2Kb9wWRaW

Guys please avoid turning this into a "do you believe in god" argument. Like it or not, the pope is arguably one of the world's most influential releglious and public leaders to hundred of millions of people. This is the first time in over 500 years that a current pope has resigned while still living. So this is a historic development.

This certainly is quite a shock. My mom tuned in this morning for the news, and she thought the Pope had died. But anyway, this is quite a development. He becomes the first Pope since Gregory XII (1406) to resign. Gregory resigned during the Great Schism, so that should tell us how long ago that was.

What I don't get is that, let's say he's in horrible health, he could die as pope...so why resign?

Or, let's say he's not not in horrible health, then he won't die...so why resign?

The Catholic church hasn't exactly been a bastion of honesty the past, oh, thousand years, and this is not much of an exception -- I'd like to know what's really motivating him to step down.

What I don't get is that, let's say he's in horrible health, he could die as pope...so why resign?

Or, let's say he's not not in horrible health, then he won't die...so why resign?

The Catholic church hasn't exactly been a bastion of honesty the past, oh, thousand years, and this is not much of an exception -- I'd like to know what's really motivating him to step down.

Very true. As someone who was baptize Catholic and now attending a interfaith Christian Church, they have lost tons of people in last 30-40 years in the US and much of the western world as a whole.

Fair or not, Benedict unlike Pope John Paul (hard shoes to fill for someone as well liked and admired in much of the world)will be remembered for not handling the international child sexual abuse scandal. Ditto for the divide between old school conservatives like him and more progressive bishops on issues like Gay Rights, Sex/Woman's reproductive rights, addressing the growing number of new Catholics in Non European/Western nations, etc.

Thus many years from now, Pope Benedict during his reign will not be as beloved as his legendary former boss.

As a son of a father born Catholic and mother Protestant  and myself as a unconventional Christian that does not follow any particular sect or go to church, but simply pray and read my bible daily, I am asking the same question myself. I'll stop here with this post. Shortline pretty much said it all pretty much in a nutshell, and I wholeheartly agree with his concerns as himself (with all due respect from me) a former devoted Catholic now an Interfaith Christian:

Shortline Bus, on Feb 10th 2013 - 9:43PM, said: 

Very true. As someone who was baptize Catholic and now attending a interfaith Christian Church, they have lost tons of people in last 30-40 years in the US and much of the western world as a whole.

Fair or not, Benedict unlike Pope John Paul (hard shoes to fill for someone as well liked and admired in much of the world)will be remembered for not handling the international child sexual abuse scandal. Ditto for the divide between old school conservatives like him and more progressive bishops on issues like Gay Rights, Sex/Woman's reproductive rights, addressing the growing number of new Catholics in Non European/Western nations, etc.

* When I meant by highlighting sex/reproductive rights in the prior post was in the sense of the negative viewpoints on sex before marriage  use of birth control,etc. So what does that mean? My girl and myself is going to hell for it?

End of conversation. On to the next thread.

His health has been going downhill in the past year. His doctors will not let him travel. He now has to use a cane and also he is starting to forget things.

Maybe someone dug up something from his past with the Hitler Youth...

I seriously doubt his former boss John Paul who knew many friends who died during WWII would handpick his successor Joseph Ratzinger who had any ties to the Nazis. Although one of the great sins in recent history was how the Vactican did not speak out more or condom the holocaust.

I seriously doubt his former boss John Paul who knew many friends who died during WWII would handpick his successor Joseph Ratzinger who had any ties to the Nazis. Although one of the great sins in recent history was how the Vactican did not speak out more or condom the holocaust.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/vaticancityandholysee/5314338/Dont-mention-the-Popes-Hitler-Youth-past-says-the-Vatican.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The historic papal enclave of 2013 to pick the next pope has begun(3/12/13)and after the first day no one selected.

PS Off topic but here rare clip of the day Pope John Paul was selected in October 1978. The main voice was from the late ABC News Anchor Peter Jennings.

Español es su primer lenguaje.  :D

Indeed... It's good that he's South American and of Italian decent, but I just hope he isn't one of those stuck up Argentines, otherwise he won't relate to other Latin Americans as well.

Like a large part of population of Argentina.

Yep, and this should hopefully play over okay in Italy... Can't tell you how long Italians back in Italy have been b*tching about the fact that the latest popes weren't Italian. At least this guy is of Italian decent.

Archived