R-110A Coming Back

Dan05979

Mother... of... foam...

Do you know if these new pump cars will replace the older R71 (R17/R21/R22) conversions and the R65s?

Also, off topic but do you know what is happening to R44 5384 there; that set has not been seen since its removal from service (Sept. 2010)?

@Dan: Are they converting all ten cars or is it just one of the sets?

Either way, it's about time they did something with the 110As. At least now this should put an end to the calls to put them on the shuttle.

@Dan: Are they converting all ten cars or is it just one of the sets? Either way, it's about time they did something with the 110As. At least now this should put an end to the calls to put them on the shuttle.

People on subchat say that only 8001-8005 will be converted for now if I heard correctly.

Good! Though I wished they would use them, or at least some of them, on the Grand Central Shuttle.

And now, there's also the 110B's. Would be nice if they found something else for them to do besides three of them sitting dormant just for training purposes.

Mother... of... foam...

Do you know if these new pump cars will replace the older R71 (R17/R21/R22) conversions and the R65s?

Also, off topic but do you know what is happening to R44 5384 there; that set has not been seen since its removal from service (Sept. 2010)?

In response to Hurricane Sandy and how fast the storm flooded all of the subway tunnels, for now they are going to just convert this 5-car set. These will not replace the older R71 (R17/R21/R22) cars.

However, in my opinion, if this works out really well and the agency decides to convert the other 5 car set as well (8006-8010), then I could see the agency possibly replacing just one older R71 set (R17/R21/R22) with 8006-8010, depending upon their condition.

As far as the R44 is concerned, I think its just waiting to be scrapped and taken to Ohio via truck. I highly doubt they will save any R44s, but I know they will save at least two R46 cars for the Museum.

Very glad to see they are being put to good use instead of being left out to rot till kingdom come.

Does anyone know which yards pump cars are usually stored at? Will this be the same location that the 110-As will go to once the conversion is complete?

This is an exciting time to be a transit fan... SF loop reopening, R110-As being given a second lease on life... good stuff!

Thumbs up if you were trolled. I thought they were in revenue service.

Good! Though I wished they would use them, or at least some of them, on the Grand Central Shuttle.

And now, there's also the 110B's. Would be nice if they found something else for them to do besides three of them sitting dormant just for training purposes.

I really agree with you. The R110A's should of gone in service on the shuttle, as there would be no need to put them anywhere else.

I will say I wished I could've rode it or got to check out the interior of the car (transverse seating) I do hope they keep at least 1 car intact even if it has to be a 'b car' for the museum. That said, I am glad they are recycling the the cars for something useful than to just sit around gathering rust and dust.

Thumbs up if you were trolled. I thought they were in revenue service.

I really agree with you. The R110A's should of gone in service on the shuttle, as there would be no need to put them anywhere else.

But I think they were linked 5 car sets. The only way that could've happened is if they ever get around to renovating/reconstructing the TS end of the S to allow the platforms to hold a full 5 car train.

Very nice.... So the pump trains are being pimped out...  :lol:

Lol. Indeed. 

@Dan05979: What a incredible set of pics on the R110A's being converted to pump trains at 207 st yard! Never saw this coming in a million years. This is a breakthrough where we are seeing an actual NTT in the works to be utilized as a non-revenue work service car for track and maintenance service. Certainty something for the transit history books.

Lol. Indeed. 

@Dan05979: What a incredible set of pics on the R110A's being converted to pump trains at 207 st yard! Never saw this coming in a million years. This is a breakthrough where we are seeing an actual NTT in the works to be utilized as a non-revenue work service car for track and maintenance service. Certainty something for the transit history books.

To bad they coudn't go back in service, that would have been better, but the problem alot of these folks don't understand with that is there needs to be speacial training to operate these, that means all A div crews must be trained to operate a special consist of 1 train doesn't make sense when you have crews working all over the place. 

Thanks for the very interesting photos and information, Dan.  Good to see these cars are finally going to get some use.

Anytime

• 2 years later...

Archived