For the NEW employees in RTO or Surface...

RTOMan

This  new "system" they have down here is a  NIGHTMARE.....

BCS some folks checks are short some arent even getting paid.

Your hrs are mostly are Straight now due to Schoolcar but take my advice on it, Every Extra Nickel you earn when you come out mark it down keep records!

You will have a chance to make Overtime so dont let these folks mess with your money if you are short this is the Number..

646-376-0123

This is getting serious......

BTW Payroll isnt doing any better they have been having "issues". Watch your hrs...

This  new "system" they have down here is a  NIGHTMARE.....

BCS some folks checks are short some arent even getting paid.

Your hrs are mostly are Straight now due to Schoolcar but take my advice on it, Every Extra Nickel you earn when you come out mark it down keep records!

You will have a chance to make Overtime so dont let these folks mess with your money if you are short this is the Number..

646-376-0123

This is getting serious......

BTW Payroll isnt doing any better they have been having "issues". Watch your hrs...

I had no issues. I have a car payment this paycheck, I would have been dead if I got shorted.

When I first posted, I got shorted ALL of my overtime. I had to get in contact with timekeeping and put in for an extra 7 hours. They will only pay you 8 hours a day unless you submit a late clear form, and be sure to make a copy of it before handing it over to the dispatcher!

Becareful with the posting school car only suppose to pay you 8 hr and in the Yard your suppose to go home after 8 hours unless the YD lets you work the whole job and is relected on the payroll.

Hey Dave when I was yard posting my TSS's told us that any overtime we get we must claim by submitting the late clear form or not we will only get paid 8 hrs a day.  I got every single bit of overtime I work. I was lucky not to get shorted any hours. While in school car we are only allowed overtime when Yard and Road posting. Your right though when we are back with our instructors after posting we are only allowed 8hrs.

When you post put in an overtime slip for EVERY single bit of overtime you work.

-That includes overtime that's built into the job.

-That includes deadhead (travel time) that's built into the job.

-That includes any unscheduled variations.

-That includes any time you wait from the time you report to the dispatcher as per your posting papers to the time whatever job you're assigned to actually starts (use code 58 - Early Report - for this...don't use code 46 "extra board" because you're not available to the dispatcher, you're posting and you are paid from the time the job starts, or the time schoolcar told you to report to the dispatcher, whichever is earlier).

In other words, quick 2 examples with no late signouts...#1)your posting paper tells you report to location X at say, 1511 hours. You get there early at 1500. You see the dispatcher and are posted on a job that begins at 1505 and clears at 2317 at the same location. Your pay will be from 1505 to 2317. Your job ends with a trip. You work the whole job. When you're done, go to the dispatcher, and sign out. Submit an overtime slip claiming code 40 (late clear) for 2305 to 2317 (12 minutes OT + 6 minutes bonus) and in the comments write that you are posting and that you are putting in for "late clear" for the penalty on the job you are posting. WORKS 8:12 PAYS 8:18.

Example #2:your posting paper tells you report to location X at 1511 hours. You get there early at 1500. The dispatcher informs you none of the immediately arriving crews take students, so you are told to wait and that the dispatcher will try to find someone. At 1600, the dispatcher informs you are being posted on a penalty job that begins at 1615 and clears at 0030 at the same location. Your pay will be from 1511 to 0030. Immediately fill out an overtime slip claiming code 58 (early report) for 1511 to 1615 (1h 4 minutes OT + 32 minutes bonus) and in the comments write that you are posting, you reported at the time assigned to you as per posting papers, and that you were posted on job ### which begins at 1615. You then work the whole job, which ends with a trip. When you finish, go to the dispatcher and sign out. Submit an overtime slip claiming code 40 (late clear) for 0015 to 0030 (the excess of the job duration beyond 8 hours, which is 15 minutes OT + 8 minutes bonus) and in the comments, write that you are posting and that you are putting in for "late clear" for the penalty on the job you are posting. JOB WORKS 8:15 PAYS 8:23 with an extra 64+32 for early report. TOTAL PAY: 9:59 for 9:19 worked

and make SURE you sign out at the end of the day, especially when posting.

The only time you do NOT have to sign off is as follows:

You have a penalty job (more than 8 hours worked) that ends with a trip (does not end in "WAA") AND

-you are NOT putting in an overtime slip or claiming a late clear, etc.

-everything you want to claim is already built into the job (ie if you were extra board somewhere else before picking up the job, you need to sign out to claim your deadhead).

-you are not posting.

Keep track of your hours worked and check your pay for any discrepancies. Fill out a wage shortage form if anything is missing - to do so you will have to be able to write out everything you worked for that entire 2 week pay period, so keep records.

When you post put in an overtime slip for EVERY single bit of overtime you work.

-That includes overtime that's built into the job.

-That includes deadhead (travel time) that's built into the job.

-That includes any unscheduled variations.

-That includes any time you wait from the time you report to the dispatcher as per your posting papers to the time whatever job you're assigned to actually starts (use code 58 - Early Report - for this...don't use code 46 "extra board" because you're not available to the dispatcher, you're posting and you are paid from the time the job starts, or the time schoolcar told you to report to the dispatcher, whichever is earlier).

In other words, quick 2 examples with no late signouts...#1)your posting paper tells you report to location X at say, 1511 hours. You get there early at 1500. You see the dispatcher and are posted on a job that begins at 1505 and clears at 2317 at the same location. Your pay will be from 1505 to 2317. Your job ends with a trip. You work the whole job. When you're done, go to the dispatcher, and sign out. Submit an overtime slip claiming code 40 (late clear) for 2305 to 2317 (12 minutes OT + 6 minutes bonus) and in the comments write that you are posting and that you are putting in for "late clear" for the penalty on the job you are posting. WORKS 8:12 PAYS 8:18.

Example #2:your posting paper tells you report to location X at 1511 hours. You get there early at 1500. The dispatcher informs you none of the immediately arriving crews take students, so you are told to wait and that the dispatcher will try to find someone. At 1600, the dispatcher informs you are being posted on a penalty job that begins at 1615 and clears at 0030 at the same location. Your pay will be from 1511 to 0030. Immediately fill out an overtime slip claiming code 58 (early report) for 1511 to 1615 (1h 4 minutes OT + 32 minutes bonus) and in the comments write that you are posting, you reported at the time assigned to you as per posting papers, and that you were posted on job ### which begins at 1615. You then work the whole job, which ends with a trip. When you finish, go to the dispatcher and sign out. Submit an overtime slip claiming code 40 (late clear) for 0015 to 0030 (the excess of the job duration beyond 8 hours, which is 15 minutes OT + 8 minutes bonus) and in the comments, write that you are posting and that you are putting in for "late clear" for the penalty on the job you are posting. JOB WORKS 8:15 PAYS 8:23 with an extra 64+32 for early report. TOTAL PAY: 9:59 for 9:19 worked

and make SURE you sign out at the end of the day, especially when posting.

You have a penalty job (more than 8 hours worked) that ends with a trip (does not end in "WAA") AND

-you are NOT putting in an overtime slip or claiming a late clear, etc.

-everything you want to claim is already built into the job (ie if you were extra board somewhere else before picking up the job, you need to sign out to claim your deadhead).

-you are not posting.

Keep track of your hours worked and check your pay for any discrepancies. Fill out a wage shortage form if anything is missing - to do so you will have to be able to write out everything you worked for that entire 2 week pay period, so keep records.

Damn your briliant

This is very important information that anyone who is just coming out or posting needs to know. I'm sure a lot of people have been short changed while posting because they simply didn't know how to claim the OT, thought it was automatic, or the dispatcher and their instructors didn't explain it to them. But this is your money, make sure you get it and don't work for free!!

Becareful with the posting school car only suppose to pay you 8 hr and in the Yard your suppose to go home after 8 hours unless the YD lets you work the whole job and is relected on the payroll.

Yard let me work the whole job. Called Wage Adjustment today; the woman I talked to was very helpful and will fix the mistake for my next check.

You have a penalty job (more than 8 hours worked) that ends with a trip (does not end in "WAA") 

Actually, if you have a job that ends with clearing/deadheading to a signout location, that WAA is actually specific and is marked as WAA* on the schedule card (and has a note in the work program that will say something like "WAA is to lay up a train" or "WAA is to deadhead to clearing location"). As long as the job still PAYS MORE than 8 hours, you can leave from the location you are at (i.e. 205 St) and go straight home, rather than returning to the dispatcher's office (i.e. Bedford Park CRC) to sign out. My job 3 days a week is like that. However, DO NOT leave the premises until you verify with the T/D that your work for the job is complete, because if they are looking for you to do a relay and you are still on the clock but left already, you are toast.

However, when posting (and really, through the end of probation), I highly recommend signing out every single day, even if you fall into one of those exceptions.

Some of these dispatchers act like this overtime is coming out of their own pocket and will try to fight you. Don't let them push you around though - unless your late clear is due to your own neglect (we all know a certain C/R who has a reputation for operating slow on his last half to get late clears) then you have the right to be compensated for ALL of your time on the clock, and be sure to thoroughly explain in the comments field WHAT caused you to claim extra OT.

Actually, if you have a job that ends with clearing/deadheading to a signout location, that WAA is actually specific and is marked as WAA* on the schedule card (and has a note in the work program that will say something like "WAA is to lay up a train" or "WAA is to deadhead to clearing location"). As long as the job still PAYS MORE than 8 hours, you can leave from the location you are at (i.e. 205 St) and go straight home, rather than returning to the dispatcher's office (i.e. Bedford Park CRC) to sign out. My job 3 days a week is like that. However, DO NOT leave the premises until you verify with the T/D that your work for the job is complete, because if they are looking for you to do a relay and you are still on the clock but left already, you are toast.

However, when posting (and really, through the end of probation), I highly recommend signing out every single day, even if you fall into one of those exceptions.

Some of these dispatchers act like this overtime is coming out of their own pocket and will try to fight you. Don't let them push you around though - unless your late clear is due to your own neglect (we all know a certain C/R who has a reputation for operating slow on his last half to get late clears) then you have the right to be compensated for ALL of your time on the clock, and be sure to thoroughly explain in the comments field WHAT caused you to claim extra OT.

If you have a layup at the end of your job, it's still better to be safe than sorry, and you can sign out on the manual at the yard without claiming deadhead (just list the sign out location as the terminal). If the layup is to somewhere that doesn't keep a payroll, use your judgment...some dispatchers will let you sign out before you do the layup since it's a non-revenue move. If your layup comes fairly late and you're entitled to a late clear, then you can either sign out and claim it, or not sign out and forfeit it. Up to you. However signing out is good practice and for the new people good to establish until they learn where besides the standard penalty job ending in a trip they can get away with not doing it without hurting their pay or a TD sending out a search party or writing them up.

Archived