Putnam Line

kingal11234

Don't we already have enough topics covering this? The last I heard on this forums was that the (MTA) preserves it for future use. But we're talking waaaaay further into the future then when they actually have the money to do something with it. Either way, MNRR is the owner of the Putnam line so it's up to them...

There is nothing to revive.

The only part of the line that has iron on it is from CP152 (just south of Brewster Yard) up the wye and it terminates near Putnam Ave by Eagle's Ridge.

The Putnam Trailway starts at the intersection of Rt 6 and Putnam Ave (near Drewville Rd) and roughly follows the old rail bed to Baldwin Place.  This section of trail is owned and maintained by NYS DOT and Putnam County.

The Westchester leg of the trailway is owned and maintained by Westchester County.  This starts at the north end at Baldwin Place and follows the old rail bed to the Westchester / Bronx boarder by Van Cortlandt Park.

The only rail left on the south end of Old Put is what is now known as Metro North's BN Yard south of Marble Hill Station.  There's only enough track there to store a few freight cars.

For whatever reason if MNRR decided to acquire it for train use they would have to widen it and replace most if not all the bridges.  Being it was abandoned for rail use over 50 years ago, I don't know why theywould start now.

Years ago when I was in emergency services I've had to take fire and ems equipment on parts of the trail in Westchester.  Being you can barely get an small fire vehicle or ambulance on the trail, a train is out of the question.

The line runs through mostly less dense suburbia as opposed to the other lines so restoring it would be an expensive waste.    Besides Westchester is planning a BRT/LRT Network which will service the dense sections along the Corridor south of I-287.    North of I-287 is even pretty rural in regional terms....

The line runs through mostly less dense suburbia as opposed to the other lines so restoring it would be an expensive waste.    Besides Westchester is planning a BRT/LRT Network which will service the dense sections along the Corridor south of I-287.    North of I-287 is even pretty rural in regional terms....

I didn't hear about this. Where you got this from? All I know is about the Rockland / Westchester TappenZee Project.

I didn't hear about this. Where you got this from? All I know is about the Rockland / Westchester TappenZee Project.

Westchester County and Various blogs , The First BRT line will run from Yonkers to White Plains , although alot of people wanted LRT , then an East-West line from Tarrytown to Port Chester....

Westchester County and Various blogs , The First BRT line will run from Yonkers to White Plains , although alot of people wanted LRT , then an East-West line from Tarrytown to Port Chester....

I didn't see this on Westchester County's website. And why would they convert a Rail Trail info a bus ROW for if the county doesn't have the money. Central Park Avenue BRT corridor funds hasn't even made it into the table at least.

Archived