Profile Pic Cropping Problems

Mysterious2train

Question

I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like I'm being forced to crop my new profile picture.

I previously had a teal M101 avatar up for a while with no problems, yesterday I re-colored it to blue and when uploading the new version, I had to crop it. The crop box can't seem to expand to cover more of the pic, just that small square you see.

If I hit 'cancel' or 'done' without doing anything I'm just left with the crop shown in the lower box.

I know the box in the top of the screen in the background shows the full picture but as soon as I go to a new page the cropped image returns.

I even re-sized it different times and tried linking to the picture from online to avoid having to crop it, but no dice. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

croppingissue_zpsab5fb148.png

5 answers to this question

From my understanding of it (after I have fiddled around with profile pics and looked at others' profile pics), your profile pics should be square in the first place since everyone's avatar all around the forums is confined in a square box. The same goes for the crops. A rectangular avatar like yours will stretch till it fits the entire square. It may display correctly on your profile page, but it looks stretched everywhere else on the forum.

Your best solution is to skew the rectangular image so it fits into a square canvas, and then upload it. That way, you will see it in its correct size.

My profile pic is an example of what I am talking about, if you need an example.

Bleh...sorry, Mysterious2train, I didn't read your post carefully, so I'll just cross out everything I wrote before.

I can't exactly remember how your previous avatar looked like, bot for now what you're doing wrong is uploading a rectangular image. It seems the forum will crop images that are not square until the entire square for your profile pic is filled (with the exception of what you see in the top-right hand corner of the image in your post). It may be Harry's intent, or it may be temporary.

For now you have two options to fix your avatar, depending on what you want:

• If you want your M101 logo to keep its original dimensions (meaning you don't want it to stretch):
    • open an image editor software (Paint, GIMP, or something similar)
    • make a square canvas that has side lengths equal to the longest side of your M101 avatar
    • paste your blue M101 pic onto that square canvas
    • center your blue M101 pic so the white space on the top is equal to the bottom (optional)
    • save and upload

This is only if you don't want to distort the original image (and what I would recommend).

• If you don't care about the stretching/if you don't want the white space mentioned above/if you just want your entire logo to fill up the box:
    • in the image editor, simply stretch the M101 pic till it becomes a square
    • save and upload

Hope this helps.

Archived