Crosstown Bronx routes

Via Garibaldi 8

Are you crazy????  The Bx27 warrants no sort of extension. 

Consider the source.... The guy clearly doesn't know what he's talking about....

....You say that cause you don't think of buses being fast.

He's saying that because he's SANE

Furthermore why does the Bx27 need to go to Riverdale??

It doesn't.....

It uses bronx river to pelham parkway linking to bx12SBS & (2) then via allerton and mosholu parkway linking to several other lines then (4) towards sedgwick to the (1) then manhattan college parkway to riverdale via riverdale ave. Connectivity however other routes may be able to do the same thing.

More extending Bronx's local buses onto highways huh....

The BS never ends with you, does it....

....No doubt that the Bronx crosstown bus network is garbage, but you can't complain since you knew exactly what you were getting into when you moved all the way up into isolated Riverdale.  What would take you less than half an hour with a car is going to end up taking you over an hour with the local bus, and since you'll probably be too stubborn to deal with the "riff raff" on the local bus, the express bus will take you at least an hour and a half, maybe even more.....

....This is the same guy who suggested taking the X1 to the X27 to go to Bay Ridge instead of just taking the S79 directly there. The express bus is the solution to everything, remember? :rolleyes:

...Which is why his posing of this concern reeks of disingenuity to me.... Like he would take the locals if the borough's (this includes Riverdale btw !) east-west network were to actually be improved.....

Shit, He said it himself - "I obviously will be using the express bus"....

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That connection to the (2) is replaced by extended Bx35 trips to soundview morrison (6). The connection can still be made at pelham parkway. This speeds up intra bronx travel considerably. LOL @ X1 to X27 seriously no sane person would do that!!! Must of been strong shit.

Dude it will take a long time to explain it. I will after getting off my phone.

Yes, I know it can be made at Pelham Parkway. That's why I said it's more roundabout.

I don't know why I waste my time explaining to you exactly why these things won't work, but you do realize that the Bx35 would still do nothing for the people south of the Bruckner, right? People aren't going to take 2 buses to reach the subway line that they want.

Yes, I know it can be made at Pelham Parkway. That's why I said it's more roundabout.

I don't know why I waste my time explaining to you exactly why these things won't work, but you do realize that the Bx35 would still do nothing for the people south of the Bruckner, right? People aren't going to take 2 buses to reach the subway line that they want.

Bx27 evening doesn't link to the (2) this actually links to regional links and northern area via (2) and others. I am quite sane however it may also be doable with that new line instead and maybe a better choice strangely enough. That was an idea before MTA made that new line. If demand wasn't there then that roadway would be almost empty. At rush. Getting around the bronx by bus shouldn't be so slow yet you defend it anyway. Most people on the Bx27 take the (6) not the (2).

...Which is why his posing of this concern reeks of disingenuity to me.... Like he would take the locals if the borough's (this includes Riverdale btw !) east-west network were to actually be improved.....

You're right, I personally don't care deeply since this isn't a normal commute for me, but a guy can be curious... If it's a legitimate thing that folks in the Bronx have to deal with, I think it should be addressed somehow.  I support improving transportation for all folks if it can be done without someone else having to sacrifice.

The Bx7 + Bx12SBS + Bx8 (or Bx31) looks like a good choice and will certainly be faster than the BxM1 + BxM10 combo.  You'd need to go all the way down to 86th Street in Manhattan, wait for potentially up to 30 minutes, and then take the BxM10 back up.  You have to be crazy if you would do that.

This is why I don't understand how people in the outerboroughs live without cars.  No doubt that the Bronx crosstown bus network is garbage, but you can't complain since you knew exactly what you were getting into when you moved all the way up into isolated Riverdale.  What would take you less than half an hour with a car is going to end up taking you over an hour with the local bus, and since you'll probably be too stubborn to deal with the "riff raff" on the local bus, the express bus will take you at least an hour and a half, maybe even more.

lol... To be honest this is only the second trip I've made to the Bronx, so I have no reason to travel to the Bronx like that.  My destination is usually Riverdale to Manhattan and back.  This is a special trip and one that quite frankly won't be that complicated at all since I actually need to stop off in the city anyway so any Riverdale express bus will be just fine.  Then I'll finish my errand and take the BxM10 over to Morris Park and back.  Two buses with one errand done vs three buses with waiting in between wins easily in my book.  But yeah, you're right about Riverdale being isolated, which is fine by me.  I was simply trying to understand how things work in the Bronx in terms of crosstown routes because we don't have a need for them up here, but I would imagine that Bronxites would.  

In short are three transfers common for Bronxites that need to travel crosstown in the borough or what's the norm?

Oh and as for your comment on "riff raff", I'm sure the BxM10 has its fair share of people of color since it ends to my understanding in a minority neighborhood, so I'm not so sure how I would be avoiding the riff raff. LOL!  The last time I took the BxM10 it was actually mainly minorities on it. It is the Bronx afterall so the only way to really "avoid" the riff raff would be to drive, which I'm sure you would do, so who is really the high and mighty one?   :lol:

You're right, I personally don't care deeply since this isn't a normal commute for me, but a guy can be curious... If it's a legitimate thing that folks in the Bronx have to deal with, I think it should be addressed somehow.  I support improving transportation for all folks if it can be done without someone else having to sacrifice.

lol... To be honest this is only the second trip I've made to the Bronx, so I have no reason to travel to the Bronx like that.  My destination is usually Riverdale to Manhattan and back.  This is a special trip and one that quite frankly won't be that complicated at all since I actually need to stop off in the city anyway so any Riverdale express bus will be just fine.  Then I'll finish my errand and take the BxM10 over to Morris Park and back.  Two buses with one errand done vs three buses with waiting in between wins easily in my book.  But yeah, you're right about Riverdale being isolated, which is fine by me.  I was simply trying to understand how things work in the Bronx in terms of crosstown routes because we don't have a need for them up here, but I would imagine that Bronxites would.  

In short are three transfers common for Bronxites that need to travel crosstown in the borough or what's the norm?

your going to have to look elsewhere if you want people who want to address it or givea damn.

your going to have to look elsewhere if you want people who want to address it or givea damn.

lol... Well there are some Bronxites in here who travel about the borough, so surely they can give some sort of feedback.  I think the Bronx may be similar to Brooklyn with the lack of crosstown service.  The question is if any sort of crosstown service improvements necessary or would my hypothetical three bus trip be an irregular one...

lol... Well there are some Bronxites in here who travel about the borough, so surely they can give some sort of feedback.  I think the Bronx may be similar to Brooklyn with the lack of crosstown service.  The question is if any sort of crosstown service improvements necessary or would my hypothetical three bus trip be an irregular one...

If it was truly uncommon pelham parkway traffic and bronx river traffic would be much less.

So then the question is what could be done to improve Crosstown routes in the Bronx?

I think it's funny that you sit here and slam me when you yourself have started taking the express bus more.  Hell I have an Unlimited express bus card and I think I should get the full use of my $50.00 that I pay each week for my express bus pass.  One would be a fool to schlepp on the local bus if they can ride in more comfort, esp. since they've already paid for the more expensive option anyway.  That's like paying for business class and sitting in the economy section.  :lol:

So then the question is what could be done to improve Crosstown routes in the Bronx?

I think it's funny that you sit here and slam me when you yourself have started taking the express bus more.  Hell I have an Unlimited express bus card and I think I should get the full use of my $50.00 that I pay each week for my express bus pass.  One would be a fool to schlepp on the local bus if they can ride in more comfort, esp. since they've already paid for the more expensive option anyway.  That's like paying for business class and sitting in the economy section.  :lol:

Especially if the local bus method is longer. However if the express bus is slower then just take the bloddy local bus. It's not all about comfort it's about getting to your destination quickly and getting peace of mind. He has too much time on his hands. But sometimes your methods are beyond insane. No sane person would use BM3 to X1 to reach SI from brooklyn buddy. X27 to X1 is outright laughable. Then again so is 3 local buses that are barely timed. It all depends on where your going. To be honest my other so called highway idea would have cut your travel time in almost half eliminating the need to use the express bus altogether. It would have taken a 3 bus trip and turned it into a 2 bus trip and via a much faster more direct routing to boot. Now that I think about it Bx16 left alone is a better idea. Sometimes your better off with the Bee-line anyway.

Especially if the local bus method is longer. However if the express bus is slower then just take the bloddy local bus. It's not all about comfort it's about getting to your destination quickly and getting peace of mind. He has too much time on his hands. But sometimes your methods are beyond insane. No sane person would use BM3 to X1 to reach SI from brooklyn buddy. X27 to X1 is outright laughable. Then again so is 3 local buses that are barely timed. It all depends on where your going. To be honest my other so called highway idea would have cut your travel time in almost half eliminating the need to use the express bus altogether. It would have taken a 3 bus trip and turned it into a 2 bus trip and via a much faster more direct routing to boot.

LOL... Well seeing that I've used the so called other options I have no problem using the BM3 to the X1 and here's why... The other option (which I've used involved over the years (so much for avoiding "riff raff" lol) the B4 and then a walk to the S53) is close to a two hour commute. If timed properly, the BM3 to the X1 commute could be an hour depending on your destination.  Any other commute from Sheepshead Bay to Staten Island without the express bus would involve multiple transfers if the B4 to the S53 wasn't used and actually when I didn't feel like walking from 77th to 86th & 4th I would hop on the (R) at 77th if I heard it downstairs and could catch it.

All I have to say is if you (Via) were going to use the express anyway, that sort of makes this topic null and void. Also, I don't know how you can stay confined within your neighborhood. I would find it boring as hell in my opinion.

LOL... Well seeing that I've used the so called other options I have no problem using the BM3 to the X1 and here's why... The other option (which I've used involved the B4 and then a walk to the S53) is close to a two hour commute.  If timed properly, the BM3 to the X1 commute could be an hour depending on your destination.  

Have you tried (Q) to (N) or (D) to B1 to S53/79?

Have you tried (Q) to (N) or (D) to B1 to S53/79?

LOL... That's another option, but it still involves numerous transfers... I've done that backtracking nonsense too... I've even used the S53 to the B64 to the (Q) but that still involves two buses and a subway and waiting in between transfers and a commute that still clocks in over an hour.  With the other option if I do have to wait in the city at least I can have a nice bite to eat and get a nice nap while on the express bus. Face it, my option is faster and much more relaxing and you know it.  :lol:

All I have to say is if you (Via) were going to use the express anyway, that sort of makes this topic null and void. Also, I don't know how you can stay confined within your neighborhood. I would find it boring as hell in my opinion.

Actually it doesn't because the question is if there is a need for more crosstown Bronx routes, which seems to be the case seeing how crowded the Bx12 supposedly is. As for staying in Riverdale, Riverdale is isolated up in the hills #1 and we like that. #2 it's pretty big and quite diverse so there is plenty to explore here.  The idea of Riverdalians going from Riverdale to Manhattan is quite common since it is very convenient and we all explore... I'm in neighborhoods all over the city, regardless of the borough.  I'm not going to go to some crime filled dump though if that's your idea of "exploring" just because. Hell it was Morris Park that opened my eyes to the Bronx, so clearly I must do some exploring.

LOL... That's another option, but it still involves numerous transfers... I've done that backtracking nonsense too... I've even used the S53 to the B64 to the (Q) but that still involves two buses and a subway and waiting in between transfers and a commute that still clocks in over an hour.  With the other option if I do have to wait in the city at least I can have a nice bite to eat and get a nice nap while on the express bus. Face it, my option is faster and much more relaxing and you know it.  :lol:

All the more reason why an SI route should go beyond bay ridge. Most don't have time for that and just drive.

Oh and as for your comment on "riff raff", I'm sure the BxM10 has its fair share of people of color since it ends to my understanding in a minority neighborhood, so I'm not so sure how I would be avoiding the riff raff. LOL!  The last time I took the BxM10 it was actually mainly minorities on it. It is the Bronx afterall so the only way to really "avoid" the riff raff would be to drive, which I'm sure you would do, so who is really the high and mighty one?   :lol:

So let me get this straight: Minorities are automatically riff-raff? (Well, actually you believe that whether you want to admit it or not)

And don't tell me you actually think a route's ridership base is determined based solely on where the terminal is.

....I think it's funny that you sit here and slam me when you yourself have started taking the express bus more.  Hell I have an Unlimited express bus card and I think I should get the full use of my $50.00 that I pay each week for my express bus pass.  One would be a fool to schlepp on the local bus if they can ride in more comfort, esp. since they've already paid for the more expensive option anyway.  That's like paying for business class and sitting in the economy section.  :lol:

See, You make statements like that about local bus riders (or those that choose to take local buses) & sit here & wonder why you're being "slammed"..... Really? Why is it they gotta be fools.....

Yeah I have started taking the express bus.....

....Except, I don't wax poetic about express buses & look down upon local buses & the people who ride them.... I don't have a bias either way, you clearly do....

I'm not the one sitting on these forums making statements like "I obviously will be using the express"; like the local bus is beneath me or some shit.... Then you got the unmitigated gall to ask about crosstown bronx local routes like you really give a damn - Which YOU yourself say you personally don't care deeply since it isn't a normal commute or whatever..... This is coming from YOU, not me.... I'm not the one that has made statements talking about taking two express buses to avoid taking local buses (especially within the borough you live in), like you have in the past.... There isn't a soul on here that has ever seen a post emanating from me about taking two express buses to avoid taking local buses - and they won't either.....

Seriously, look at the premise of this reply of yours.... It reeks of pro-express bus & anti-local bus....

See, You make statements like that about local bus riders (or those that choose to take local buses) & sit here & wonder why you're being "slammed"..... Really? Why is it they gotta be fools.....

Yeah I have started taking the express bus.....

....Except, I don't wax poetic about express buses & look down upon local buses & the people who ride them.... I don't have a bias either way, you clearly do....

I'm not the one sitting on these forums making statements like "I obviously will be using the express"; like the local bus is beneath me or some shit.... Then you got the unmitigated gall to ask about crosstown bronx local routes like you really give a damn - Which YOU yourself say you personally don't care deeply since it isn't a normal commute or whatever..... This is coming from YOU, not me.... I'm not the one that has made statements talking about taking two express buses to avoid taking local buses, like you have in the past.... There isn't a soul on here that has ever seen a post emanating from me about taking two express buses to avoid taking local buses - and they won't either.....

Seriously, look at the premise of this reply of yours.... It reeks of pro-express bus & anti-local bus....

LOL... If you have a MetroNorth ticket and a MetroCard and you decide to use the subway which is a longer commute over MetroNorth which is the shorter one and put yourself through unnecessary transfers and waiting around then yes, I'd say that person is a fool.  No different here.  I see no reason to put myself through using three buses (on relatively unreliable routes at that esp. with the Bx7) when I can use fewer buses with less aggravation. I do the same thing with the local bus and subway in the city.  If the subway is the faster and more comfortable ride then I use it.  

And now you're going to sit here and talk about me having gall when you yourself have said you didn't feel like taking the subway so you took the express bus instead or have used multiple local buses or walked to avoid it.  Come on now... Let's be honest... And you're sitting here telling me that I'm taking round about ways, when in fact the ways I use are faster than the alternatives. Now that's funny!  :lol:

This is simply an issue of comfort and convenience and nothing to do with poetic wax or any of that nonsense, because I've endured multiple transfers on local buses in similar commutes so I speak from experience.  If I "avoid" set ups like this it's because they're a PITA, just like taking the S53 to the B64 to the (Q) is from Staten Island to Sheepshead Bay as opposed to the X1 to the BM3.  

The point that I was getting at was that clearly the outerboroughs are set up to serve Manhattan primarily and whether or not in the Bronx there is really a need for more crosstown buses.  

LOL... If you have a MetroNorth ticket and a MetroCard and you decide to use the subway which is a longer commute over MetroNorth which is the shorter one and put yourself through unnecessary transfers and waiting around then yes, I'd say that person is a fool.  No different here.  I see no reason to put myself through using three buses (on relatively unreliable routes at that esp. with the Bx7) when I can use fewer buses with less aggravation. I do the same thing with the local bus and subway in the city.  If the subway is the faster and more comfortable ride then I use it.  

And now you're going to sit here and talk about me having gall when you yourself have said you didn't feel like taking the subway so you took the express bus instead or have used multiple local buses or walked to avoid it.  Come on now... Let's be honest...

This is simply an issue of comfort and convenience and nothing to do with poetic wax or any of that nonsense, because I've endured multiple transfers on local buses in similar commutes so I speak from experience.  If I "avoid" set ups like this it's because they're a PITA, just like taking the S53 to the B64 to the (Q) is from Staten Island to Sheepshead Bay as opposed to the X1 to the BM3.  

The point that I was getting at was that clearly the outerboroughs are set up to serve Manhattan primarily and whether or not in the Bronx there is really a need for more crosstown buses.  

Your comparisons & counter-arguments are terrible.....

Yeah I started taking express buses more because I didn't feel like putting up with the subway.... Never denied that, Never lied about that, so it's not about coming on now & "being honest" like I'm concealing or lying about shit to people here..... Difference is, I don't look down on subway riders though... You look down on local bus riders.....  You can sit here & beat around the bush and try to divert attention from that, in some weak assed attempt to try to flip the script all you'd like..... Your guilty conscience is clearly showing when you sit there & reply to that original post of mine twice for one; and two, talkin about you think it's funny that I'm slamming you when I take the express bus too, when you bring shit upon yourself with what you say about local bus/riders....

Talking about "being honest"..... You don't give a shit about BRONX's local buses (which includes the Bx7 & 10 in Riverdale), so really, stop acting like you do all of a sudden within this thread, "wondering" about why the Bronx has such terrible options when it comes to crosstown routes......

Your comparisons & counter-arguments are terrible.....

Yeah I started taking express buses more because I didn't feel like putting up with the subway.... Never denied that, Never lied about that, so it's not about coming on now & "being honest" like I'm concealing or lying about shit to people here..... Difference is, I don't look down on subway riders though... You look down on local bus riders.....  You can sit here & beat around the bush and try to divert attention from that, in some weak assed attempt to try to flip the script all you'd like..... Your guilty conscience is clearly showing when you sit there & reply to that original post of mine twice for one; and two, talkin about you think it's funny that I'm slamming you when I take the express bus too, when you bring shit upon yourself with what you say about local bus/riders....

Talking about "being honest"..... You don't give a shit about BRONX's local buses (which includes the Bx7 & 10 in Riverdale), so really, stop acting like you do all of a sudden......

I don't have anything to be "guilty" about... If I truly looked down on local bus riders I wouldn't ride any local buses at all, so that's a very weak argument on your end.  What I take exception to is ghetto folks that can't control themselves in public settings, and those types of people exist everywhere, including express buses.  The only difference is that there are usually fewer of them on the more expensive modes of transportation (MetroNorth and the LIRR included), but I've talked about the X10 plenty of times and how ghetto it is.

As for giving a sh*t about Bronx local buses, well of course I don't.  Naturally people care about services that they use, so the services that I use I care about first and foremost, but that doesn't mean that I don't think that there shouldn't be improvements to service in the system. Hell I advocated for an S53 limited stop bus when for the most part I used car service, but I understood that it was something that was needed and could help many people, so I spoke out for it at the (MTA) hearing.

Oh and funny how you say you don't look down on folks but yet you would take several local buses to avoid the subway... Heh...  The pot calling the kettle black.  :lol:

Oh and funny how you say you don't look down on folks but yet you would take several local buses to avoid the subway... Hmm...  :lol: The pot calling the kettle black. 

He's not avoiding the subway because of the people that ride it (unlike you with the local buses). He's not looking down on the people that ride the subway. Nor is he saying that the local bus is the superior mode.

I don't have anything to be "guilty" about... If I truly looked down on local bus riders I wouldn't ride any local buses at all, so that's a very weak argument on your end.  What I take exception to is ghetto folks that can't control themselves in public settings, and those types of people exist everywhere, including express buses.  The only difference is that there are usually fewer of them, but I've talked about the X10 plenty of times and how ghetto it is.

Sure you do... It's all over your rebuttals in this back & forth thus far....

As far as not riding any locals at all; well that's easy to bring up when you know you can't ride express buses within boroughs like that, so that's a weak counter-argument in & of itself....  Don't front like you wouldn't take some express bus within boroughs if you could... Remember, "paying for business class and sitting in the economy section".....

....and why are you bringing up folks that can't control themselves in public settings anyway?

Better yet, resorting to telling me that those types exist everywhere - but also stating that there's fewer of them on expresses? You're making this too easy right now.....

He's not avoiding the subway because of the people that ride it (unlike you with the local buses).

He's not looking down on the people that ride the subway. Nor is he saying that the local bus is the superior mode.

That, and the same masses of people that take subways are the same masses of ppl. that come off local buses, so that retort to make like I look down on subway riders doesn't make any sense anyway....

I didn't notice that edit of his post, but thanks for calling that out..... He's trying to make this about me when it's clearly about him....

Archived