E train morning rush overcrowding solution

alekr

I would imagine those LIRR trains are really crowded in the AM rush, so I doubt a seat is easy to get if you're getting on at Jamaica...

I done some train watching along the main line between Woodside & Kew Gardens during the PM Rush and some of those trains be SRO.

I make this commute daily - it is possible. Most standing passengers are only doing so because they have luggage with them, or because there was a delay somewhere along the line. Seats can be had.

You also can't send the (E) down 2nd Av, because the 53rd St tunnel is also at capacity, there's no interlocking planned there, and -most importantly- SAS Phase III doesn't exist yet.

I would hope the MTA would close some of the more annoying transfer gaps (Fulton (G) and Atlantic, QBP and Queens Plaza, Hewes (J) and Broadway (G), Livonia (L) and Junius (3), 63rd (F) and 59th (N)(Q)(R)(4)(5)(6)), but I wouldn't hold my breath. Specifically, with 63rd, there are some pretty severe elevation changes, and constructing such a transfer would be complicated and expensive due to the depth of the Manhattan bedrock and the multi-billion dollar properties around it.

The OP meant 2 av station on the (F).

As unpopular as this might sound: should they make the E skip 74th or install a barrier on the platforms (basically splitting the local and express sides to prevent local riders from piling onto the express)? As for 53rd-Lex, should they have Queens bound trains (am rush) skip that stop and vice versa for the pm rush?

I've been on the E and it's at 74/Roosevelt where things get bad. The E should probably skip 74th/Roosevelt. Many of the riders at 74/Roosevelt are coming from the 7 (why cant they just stay upstairs?), some actually take the E to Queens Plaza or Court Sq (again the 7 and the R&M also serve those places). Having the E skip 74th will force those ppl to use those other choices.

As unpopular as this might sound: should they make the E skip 74th or install a barrier on the platforms (basically splitting the local and express sides to prevent local riders from piling onto the express)? As for 53rd-Lex, should they have Queens bound trains (am rush) skip that stop and vice versa for the pm rush?

Splitting the platform at Roosevelt Av will just shift the transfer over to 71 Av, especially for those coming off Hillside looking for 53rd Street and/or 8th Avenue. As for having the E skip Roosevelt Av, how do we know riders aren't bound for Eighth Avenue from the Flushing platform?

Having the E trains skip Lexington Av will force riders to use the M trains. That means there will be more people transferring between trains at either Queens Plaza, Court Sq or 5 Av.

Well the idea about splitting the Roosevelt av stop platform is to keep the people from directly bailing from the local to the express. The 7 riders will still be able to get to either the express or local IND lines. The E and F would still stop there. if it means shifting the burden to qp and 71st av, then that's what has to be done.

As for 53rd lex, my idea is to leave the platform for only one direction to minimize the crowding. Both E and M trains running in the 'non peak' direction would skip that stop leaving it free for only the peak direction riders.

Archived