Dogs in the subway

JubaionBx12+SBS

On the topic of dogs on the subway/bus, I've seen women carry a small dog in their purses. All I'll say is if the dog stays in there, fine. Honestly with the amount of screeching and other loud noises, it's kinda abuse subjecting the dog it. the largest dog I've seen is a labrador as a service dog, other times it's the NYPD german shepherd k9s.

As a dog person I don't mind someone bringing one on as long as the dog doesn't make a mess in the train/bus. Not worth the hassle to argue why the dogs should be in the cage. That's the cop's job.

I barely see service dogs period anymore; let alone on the subway.... Ladies carrying toy dogs in their handbags & what not, that I've started to notice an increase of over the years on the subway... Seem like ever since Vick got imprisoned, more people became dog lovers in this city... Working in the west village, all you see are people walking their dogs around the neighborhood... From the time I get in, til lunchtime, til I leave the place, and I don't doubt for a second dogs are being walked well into the night..... Tend to get a kick out of the ones that be carrying like 10 dogs at a time; it's usually a guy & a woman that walk like 20 dogs (between the 2 of them) along greenwich st around christopher during lunchtime...... The one thing I'll say about the west village (unlike park slope) is that dog-owners do clean up after their dogs more.....

Anyway, as for dogs in the subway in-particular, I don't have a problem w/ anyone bringing em on - as long as they're leashed/under control of course.... I personally wouldn't own a pet, but don't let me catch you abusing one.... My cousin's friend had a chow-chow given to him by someone on the block... cute little thing, until dude stopped giving a damn about the dog, keeping it chained in the backyard (never walking it) tossing bologna out the damn window like it's a savage beast..... My cousin told me that his friend would do that because it got to a point where he was scared of his own dog (as it grew up)... You kept me chained in a backyard surrounded by my own urine & fecal matter & having to survive off rain water & I would attack you too!  Speaking of attack, a couple times (back when it was still a pup) it got loose & bit 2 neighborhood kids (one of those kids, twice).... Whether any lawsuits came from any of those bites/attacks, I don't know....

Long story short, the both of us (my cousin & I) called the ASPCA on dude.... I mean, before the fact, we would all get together & play 'ball or football & what not.... But I lost all respect for him after the way he treated that dog; and he would make a game out of "tossing bologna for distance".... He was a kid at the time, but that's still no excuse - and his moms (who's house it was) didn't care about the animal either.... My cousin recently stopped talking to him, now that he ran off to the military (supposedly dude's in VA) & some scuzzbucket suckered him into marriage... His girl wears the pants in that relationship, so I hear... Wonder if she got him on a leash "tossing bologna for distance".... smh....

You wanna piss me off quick, abuse a pet.....

Garibaldi hates dogs so much you must have to wonder if he is part Asian. :lol:

Don't see what's so funny about that.... Crass is more like it.

I kid you not, I once saw a lady walking a small monkey on the (Q). This was a few years back but has stood out in my memory for obvious reasons. And the monkey was wearing a small diaper! 

When I scrolled back up to read the rest of the thread, this was what I really came back to reply on....

lmfao @ 1] seeing a monkey on the subway, period... and 2] the fact that the monkey had a diaper on.... Mojo the monkey (simpsons)....

I'm not one of these candid camera types, quick to pull out a camera/phone - But I would've had a time laughing in that subway car....

You got me beat by a mile with that one.... Strangest animal I ever saw on the subway was a lizard; before then, I didn't know they had actual leashes for lizards.....

Don't see what's so funny about that.... Crass is more like it.

When I scrolled back up to read the rest of the thread, this was what I really came back to reply on....

lmfao @ 1] seeing a monkey on the subway, period... and 2] the fact that the monkey had a diaper on.... Mojo the monkey (simpsons)....

I'm not one of these candid camera types, quick to pull out a camera/phone - But I would've had a time laughing in that subway car....

You got me beat by a mile with that one.... Strangest animal I ever saw on the subway was a lizard; before then, I didn't know they had actual leashes for lizards.....

It was definitely an unusual sighting! This was back in 2009 or so, before I had a phone with a camera, so I only have that image burned into my brain to laugh at. 

LOL... Actually I like dogs... Just not ones that bark incessantly.  Why do Asians supposedly hate dogs??  :huh:

I'm not sure... I heard they eat them.

Dogs should be allowed in the subway. You don't understand the cost to transport the animal via Taxi or other service.

Dogs should be allowed in the subway. You don't understand the cost to transport the animal via Taxi or other service.

It's not that I don't understand, it's that when you buy/adopt/are given a pet, you should understand that there are other costs associated with that pet... Taking it to the vet and so on and if you can't afford a car then you don't need a pet.  I have relatives that had dogs and when they needed to go to the vet, they drove them.  I think it's insane to be trying to carry a dog to the vet on public transit.  It's not only inconvenient to folks on the bus and subway but irresponsible as a dog owner to the dog.  

the subway is for the transportation of People.

An animal is just that, an animal. no matter how well it's trained, if it's scared it's going to revert to instict. If the doors close on thier tail, someone's liable to end up bit.

which is another thing, they are a liabilty issue. There are enough of those around now, we don't need any more.

IF, and that's a ginormus IF, they were allowed, then they should have to be paid for also. If I had my way it would be $5 and on a zone basis.

Dogs can be very inconvenient for the other passengers, they can be afraid by it. (This is not only a matter of price).

Imagine what could happen, if someone steps on the tail of a dog during rush hours.

It is normal that dogs or other animals are not allowed in the subway, except small animals in a container.

B35, post #30: great post, yeah I have no respect for those that abuse their dogs and those who aren't even accountable for their dogs. There's this one guy down my block who never closes his driveway gates. So on 2 occasions his dog got loose and both times it attacked/almost attacked my dog. I wanted to file a complaint against the guy, but my relatives advised against it. But I'm going to put this on the record: I will beat the crap out of that dog if I have to. No dog or person harms my dog and gets away with it. that pos dog drew blood in one instance and the 2nd time I blocked the dog before it got close to my dog on the other.

Actually, the only animal I ever recall seeing on any mode of transportation period, was a lizard on the S46. The guy had him in a shoebox, though, not on a leash.

For some reason, I don't recall seeing any dogs (whether service or not) or cats or any other pets for that matter on the bus or subway.

B35, post #30: great post, yeah I have no respect for those that abuse their dogs and those who aren't even accountable for their dogs. There's this one guy down my block who never closes his driveway gates. So on 2 occasions his dog got loose and both times it attacked/almost attacked my dog. I wanted to file a complaint against the guy, but my relatives advised against it. But I'm going to put this on the record: I will beat the crap out of that dog if I have to. No dog or person harms my dog and gets away with it. that pos dog drew blood in one instance and the 2nd time I blocked the dog before it got close to my dog on the other.

Thanks.... And it wouldn't be abuse if you're protecting your pet/family member from another animal.

There was a guy like that on my old block; Everyone had to be on the lookout in the mornings when they left for school/work in fear of that dog... Luckily I never got attacked.... His idea of walking the dog was leaving the gates open at night & letting the dog roam free... Most times it did back in the yard by itself, but still, that's not the point...... The cops eventually got called on him by this one (self-appointed) nosy ass block blockwatcher.... growing up, we (me & the homies) couldn't stand her, but I'll admit I said to myself "good for her" when she got bit.... Even the adults on the block didn't care much for her either......

Actually, the only animal I ever recall seeing on any mode of transportation period, was a lizard on the S46. The guy had him in a shoebox, though, not on a leash.

For some reason, I don't recall seeing any dogs (whether service or not) or cats or any other pets for that matter on the bus or subway.

The guy w/ the lizard on a leash that I saw was at Union Sq..... And dude was walking him on the platform like he was walking a dog at dawn.....

Anyway, you haven't seen any dogs on the subway; not even along the broadway line when you had to travel out to Astor pl (I believe it was)? Of the times I do see ladies w/ toy dogs (small dogs) in their purses, most the time it's either along the lex lines or the broadway lines (local or express of both trunc lines)...

The guy w/ the lizard on a leash that I saw was at Union Sq..... And dude was walking him on the platform like he was walking a dog at dawn.....

Anyway, you haven't seen any dogs on the subway; not even along the broadway line when you had to travel out to Astor pl (I believe it was)? Of the times I do see ladies w/ toy dogs (small dogs) in their purses, most the time it's either along the lex lines or the broadway lines (local or express of both trunc lines)...

Yeah, it was Cooper Union by Astor Place.

Well, I guess it's possible and I just wasn't paying attention. I do recall seeing those dogs in public places before, but I don't think it was on the subway.

Not back to a good start I see. What do you have against asians?

Oh, Roadcruiser... fam, he has a history of making racist comments & "apologizing" afterwards....

It's not just asians with him, unfortunately.....

Yeah, it was Cooper Union by Astor Place.

Well, I guess it's possible and I just wasn't paying attention. I do recall seeing those dogs in public places before, but I don't think it was on the subway.

Alright, gotcha.....

Back in the mid '80's I was a C/R on the (3). Every night this guy would get on my train at Penn Station and head n/b with his pet monkey. He had a little leash on the monkey and a little red hat and he'd joke with the riders, especially the kids, all the way to 96th St. This went on for a whole summer 'til a busybody asked the man "does he bite"? The owner said "he's got teeth, what do you think". The busybody got off at 72nd St and when I got to 96th St Transit Police met the train and took the man and his monkey off the train. The man and his pet never rode the train again and the riders missed them. One night a few years later I was in a deli on Broadway and 95th St and I ran into the guy. I asked him what happened and he said that while the police were sympathetic (no summons issued) he was told the monkey had to be in a carrier while on the train and that it was probably illegal to have a monkey within city limits, train or no train. He said the officers, who were female, told him to keep the monkey out of sight because some people were uncomfortable around them. The sad part was that I never saw anyone complain about him and the monkey except that one night but they all complained about a dude who used to go from car to car blaring sour notes from his sax while panhandling. I never saw the police when this guy was on my train. Everyone hated him but loved the man with the monkey. Go figure. BTW, when I was a M/M on the (5) I had a man get on my train with a service dog every pm weekday at Brooklyn Bridge and ride up to East 180th St. Redbird or R142 they would enter the car directly behind my cab and I would leave my cab to get the man a seat. One day I asked him how he knew my train, a (5), from a (4), especially when we had redbirds. He never told me 'til one day I told him I was retiring soon. He laughed and told me that his dog knew me by sight and knew exactly where the doors opened at the Bridge..I asked some of my co-workers and some friends who were dog owners and they all said that some service animals were that smart. I don't know if they were all pulling my leg but what do you folks think?

Lol, I love that story about the guide dog. That kinda wouldn't surprise me too much. They are rigorously trained, so I guess that is possible. As for how the guy always ended up on your train, either that dog waits for you or they just so happen to meet up on your very train is another story.

=

@b35, post #48: yup, summed up perfectly, perhaps I might be going a bit far calling him a sort of Archie bunker?

Archived