Flushing Meadow Park is Endagered by Mayor, USTA, Major League Soccer

FamousNYLover

http://www.savefmcp.org

http://queenscrap.blogspot.com/2012/12/developing-flushing-meadows-would-be.html

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-Flushing-Meadows-Corona-Park/411957452216181?fref=ts

What everyone think about Flushing Meadow-Corona Park getting destroy for development of USTA Tennis Stadium extetion and parking lots, Major League Soccer proposoling new stadium, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and Relate Company want to extention CitiField Concession Stand, built new shopping malls with parking lot?

To me it's not good idea because Flushing Meadow-Corona Park is our important lifeline like every other parks and state parks.

To me, Flushing Meadow-Corona Park plays important role.

1. Enjoying the peace and quiet.

2. Meeting dog owners, enjoying peaceful small zoo where animals are taken good care by wildlife converstation society.

3. I remember I enjoy the OpenHouseNY with park ranger, with historical trolley bus owned by Queens Tourism.

4. Plays an important role for cultural event such as Dragon Boat and Cinco de Mayo festival.

5. People of all ethnic cultures plays in this beautiful wonderful park, with small happy Botanical Garden.

6. Everyone loves this park.

If Flushing Meadow-Corona Park was destroy, festivals will not be same.

It will be unhealthy for people with health problems and animals in zoo.

There is no need for mall by CitiField because we already have various small Chinese Flushing Malls, well as Rego Park and Queens Center Mall, Atlas Park Mall

What everyone thinks about Flushing Meadow-Corona Park?

Does anyone here who has good experience with this park?

I think having a Soccer stadium would be a great thing for the area, since soccer is very popular in South America and Europe, and thats where many Queens residents come from. The extra parking would be a good thing for CitiField and the Tennis stadium since its not really straightforward to get there from Long Island. You either have to change at Woodside where the LIRR connection isn't timed like it is for Jamaica, or park at Great Neck or one of the other Port Washington branch stations, which is difficult to do since they require parking permits most of the time and parking is already taken up by regular commuters, not to mention tailgating before the game which is a big thing for some sports fans.

Reviewing those plans, the waters doesn't seem to be affected for the dragon boat races so I doubt it'll affect that.

I don't think another mall is necessary though.  Yes there's Flushing Mall but there's nothing there.  QCM is where it's at.

No comment really on the MLS and Tennis extension.

As long as they don't take away the parking lots near the Van Wyck (ie. some of the drift events and car meets take place there), I'm content then.

Mets suck (No Offense) so they don't need the extra parking, and i have never heard a problem with parking at Citi Field, The new MLS Stadium can do a bit good for the community (Other than going to NJ, Which is a long ride and cost more). Malls......why i see no point especially since Flushing is RIGHT THERE and a new mall just opened too. Idk about Tennis so....no comment

We don't need a new mall. SkyView Center is right there and barely has any tenants.

I'd be very uncomfortable with a soccer stadium even closer to my house than the tennis center, which I consider a good distance away -- far enough that the crowds aren't too close to my house, but close enough that I can walk there. There's definitely not enough room to put the soccer stadium where they want it without tearing up that whole area. On top of that, let's just hypothesize that whatever team that moves in, say the Red Bulls, suddenly becomes popular -- where are they going to put the parking for the stadium?

Of the three, the additions to the USTA seem to have the least impact as they would be literally right on the edge of the existing grounds, and from experience it is badly needed, although I will miss the old Grandstand whenever they tear it down. Watched the best match I've ever seen from the overhang that leads into Louis Armstrong several years ago, and the view from there is simply amazing.

I think having a Soccer stadium would be a great thing for the area, since soccer is very popular in South America and Europe, and thats where many Queens residents come from. The extra parking would be a good thing for CitiField and the Tennis stadium since its not really straightforward to get there from Long Island. You either have to change at Woodside where the LIRR connection isn't timed like it is for Jamaica, or park at Great Neck or one of the other Port Washington branch stations, which is difficult to do since they require parking permits most of the time and parking is already taken up by regular commuters, not to mention tailgating before the game which is a big thing for some sports fans.

The thing is, the soccer stadium would be closer to the Flushing residents than the Corona residents. Most of the Hispanic population lives on the opposite side of the park from where the stadium would be located. On top of that, you'd be taking away the very soccer fields that they use -- heavily -- over the summer for recreation.

Parking lots wouldn't be a good idea, either -- all of a sudden, so many people driving to the tennis center or whatnot, and the roads are all one lane in each direction. I see problems.

I've never seen tailgating before a baseball game, and certainly not for tennis.

well just cause' you've never seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen, because there are people who do tailgate in Flushing.

I hate to be mean to yuki, but most of his reasons don't hold any water in this arguement.

The MLS project will not "destroy" the park. It's not going to have any effect on the dragon boats, the zoo or the garden.

it's not a "life line".

he makes it sound like they are gonna buldoze the entire park for a stadium.

well just cause' you've never seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen, because there are people who do tailgate in Flushing.

I hate to be mean to yuki, but most of his reasons don't hold any water in this arguement.

The MLS project will not "destroy" the park. It's not going to have any effect on the dragon boats, the zoo or the garden.

it's not a "life line".

Keep in mind Yuki 'hates" sports and is into animal rights/parks and zoos.

it's not a "life line".

You say that as if those things are the only use for the park, but the area where the soccer stadium is supposed to be built is very, very popular for casual recreation and it would be a great loss if they were to take it away. Imagine the outcry if they were to remove the Great Lawn in Central Park for this project. Same principle.

I think a soccer stadium would be nice and would help bring in some money and jobs. I imagine that some of the immigrant communities in Queens have people that love soccer and would attend games. That said, it will definitely disrupt the park, and these projects usually do not help the economy as much as people anticipate. The parking/traffic over there will definitely be a problem. The area is not all that big, either, so I can't imagine this being a huge stadium.

I think a small stadium would bring in some money without being too disruptive. 

I dont see the point in building this stadium in the park. Why not use emenient domain to clear out the iron triangle of auto shops and build the stadium there? I'm sure people would take the 7 to the stadium (obviously it'd have to work around the mets schedule).

What? Why? I get a lot of good deals with those auto shops there, despite the horrible road conditions the street has.

Plus there are a couple of shops that has legit, legal, imported motors to swap out. (For any car enthusiasts here.)

Sports I most likely is "car racing", "horse racing", "tennis.", marathon/jogging but not stadium events.

If stadium was extended or built, it will destroy the natural habitats and mother natures.

There are lots of small birds in Flushing Meadow Park enjoys fresh air in beautiful nature park.

It need to be protected.

What? Why? I get a lot of good deals with those auto shops there, despite the horrible road conditions the street has.

Plus there are a couple of shops that has legit, legal, imported motors to swap out. (For any car enthusiasts here.)

if the city had it its way, that area would've been gone years ago. I'm just saying they'd be better getting rid of the eyesore than taking away park space. You can have the auto shops, but they don't need to be all in one location.

My stance on this issue is that parkland cannot be taken away as there aren't too many parks in Northern Queens other than Flushing Meadows. This is more evident west of the park, in Jackson Heights and Corona.

As for adding more parking, it would follow a redux of Yankee Stadium, as empty parking lots would be the norm at the expense of overutilized parkland.

In terms of malls, do not add another one. Not only are SkyView Centre and Queens Center nearby, but ethnic businesses in Flushing and Corona/Jackson Heights are nearby.

If the MLS wants a new stadium in Queens, build it on part of the Citi Field parking lot. Encourage the use of public transportation and create alternate routes, such as shuttle buses and ferries, from Manhattan and Long Island.

No way are you sacrificing the parking at citifield. Now if you were to build like a 4or more story garage there so the total amount of spaces is kept while the land is repurposed for the soccer stadium, then maybe. I do agree that they shouldn't add a parking lot that will sit empty on non game days and that it should be built closer to citifield so that they can use those parking spaces.

No way are you sacrificing the parking at citifield. Now if you were to build like a 4or more story garage there so the total amount of spaces is kept while the land is repurposed for the soccer stadium, then maybe. I do agree that they shouldn't add a parking lot that will sit empty on non game days and that it should be built closer to citifield so that they can use those parking spaces.

The 4-story garage would be perfect. As long as parkland is not removed.

if the city had it its way, that area would've been gone years ago. I'm just saying they'd be better getting rid of the eyesore than taking away park space. You can have the auto shops, but they don't need to be all in one location.

That's the beauty though, plus they are all not just auto shops (I'm assuming you think just to fix cars.)  There is variety there.  You could ask anybody that is a car enthusiast (Mainly Import's and some Euro's), they would know that location specifically for cars. 

I agree... Too many auto shops there...

Completely bias statement.  That's like me saying there's too much clothes stores along 86 Street in Brooklyn.  Then people will give me the bullshit answer like it's an open mall over there.  Well it's an open auto-specific parts/service mall over here.

-- 

Back to the real deal, another mall is not necessary but I liked that idea someone had of putting the soccer stadium next to Citi Field instead,  that should get some people to like the idea better.

Yes, I think the soccer stadium should share the Citifield parking lot at least. I dunno what the break down of fans are like, but I don't think they should over build a parking lot if there isn't that many drivers going. Not that they'd ever do a mixed stadium use, but couldn't they just use Citifield for soccer games? The field should be deep enough. Yankees can hold college football games, why not Citifield for soccer games?

Yuki, I hate to break this to you, but Flushing meadows is not "nature" there is no "natural habitiat" suff going on there. It's fake. it's not real. The park only exist becuase people put it there. the trees were put there, the flowers were put there. it's an artifical enviroment. 100 years ago it was a garbage dump. 50 years ago it was practicly Disneyland. If robert Moses had his way, it would have infact been sold to Disney as a second Disneyland after the 1964 fair ended, and you would have had to pay to get in.

You like car racing? those are the largest stadiums in the world, The brickyard can hold a quater of a million people. So to say you don't like stadium events is a lie.

Archived