Hope May Be on the Way to Reduce Bus Bunching and Much More

BrooklynBus

M7 is the worst bunching line of all Manhattan routes..... You will literally wait 20 mins for an M7 and a gang of them will come at one time....Once they hit 42 one the first one will be sent to 14th the rest will be turned at 23rd some will make their final stop at 34th for a short turn at 32nd or 30th... M7 is a mess.. It provides no relief to the M20's at all, which will almost always be in front the gang of M7s.

20 minutes? I laugh! (And I cry) My personal record is a 55 minute wait for an M2 when 7 came at once, and the general wait time is probably about 25-35 min on average (on a route with supposedly 15 minute headways). Only other Manhattan route with so many buses allotted to it and such rough service is probably the M103, which got better when TU got new buses, but back when the old D60s were dropping like flies you could wait 45 minutes easily for that bus (also scheduled for 15 min headways).

That said, you haven't experienced pain if you haven't waited for the Q66 on a summer day. CIA used to send Guantanamo detainees to wait for that bus as an alternative form of torture.

M7 is the worst bunching line of all Manhattan routes..... You will literally wait 20 mins for an M7 and a gang of them will come at one time....Once they hit 42 one the first one will be sent to 14th the rest will be turned at 23rd some will make their final stop at 34th for a short turn at 32nd or 30th... M7 is a mess.. It provides no relief to the M20's at all, which will almost always be in front the gang of M7s. 

lol... It's true... I don't use the M7 a lot but I do notice that they generally come in bunches when I'm either on the BxM2 or waiting for the BxM2 somewhere.  You would think that with them being streamlined a bit more and cut back from Union Square that they would be more reliable, but that hasn't been the case.

20 minutes? I laugh! (And I cry) My personal record is a 55 minute wait for an M2 when 7 came at once, and the general wait time is probably about 25-35 min on average (on a route with supposedly 15 minute headways). Only other Manhattan route with so many buses allotted to it and such rough service is probably the M103, which got better when TU got new buses, but back when the old D60s were dropping like flies you could wait 45 minutes easily for that bus (also scheduled for 15 min headways).

That said, you haven't experienced pain if you haven't waited for the Q66 on a summer day. CIA used to send Guantanamo detainees to wait for that bus as an alternative form of torture.

why you think I don't use the M2 LOL your better off with walking to the lex line or taking M3/1 ect anything that shows up. You think Q66 is bad you will not know the true meaning of HELL until you wait in LI in 30 degree weather at rush hour for suffolk SCT S71 that makes the M2 and Q66 look super frequent your better off walking the deathtrap that is the LI road network on foot.

Well, they're saving money on fuel with new, more efficient buses. That, and the fare increase.

The hybrids are anything but fuel efficient. The OG's have worse milage than RTS and the NG's aren't too far behind. I don't know about the BT&E orders though...

The hybrids are anything but fuel efficient. The OG's have worse milage than RTS and the NG's aren't too far behind. I don't know about the BT&E orders though...

Those are supposed to be really efficient. I checked the Altoona numbers, and the Orion VII 3G/NG/4G/pineapple got pretty good overall mileage.

http://146.186.225.57/buses/400

The New Flyer had insane mileage: http://146.186.225.57/buses/416

The Nova LFS: http://146.186.225.57/buses/354 Absolute shit, but based on date probably older engine. Still, this bus blows in every way.

Agree on hyshits. Never liked them, as they take both downsides of electric and ICE propulsion, without any of the actual upsides. Would have been much better as extendend-range plug-ins (off-peak charging is cheap as hell and increases power grid efficiency overall). Pure electric would've been much better, but the tech wasn't really ready at the time to have the buses go long-range on one charge.

Those are supposed to be really efficient. I checked the Altoona numbers, and the Orion VII 3G/NG/4G/pineapple got pretty good overall mileage.

http://146.186.225.57/buses/400

The New Flyer had insane mileage: http://146.186.225.57/buses/416

The Nova LFS: http://146.186.225.57/buses/354 Absolute shit, but based on date probably older engine. Still, this bus blows in every way.

Agree on hyshits. Never liked them, as they take both downsides of electric and ICE propulsion, without any of the actual upsides. Would have been much better as extendend-range plug-ins (off-peak charging is cheap as hell and increases power grid efficiency overall). Pure electric would've been much better, but the tech wasn't really ready at the time to have the buses go long-range on one charge.

Too late to edit...

I just noticed...that New Flyer one is a fail by the Altoona web folks. That's the report for a small people carrier they posted under the XD40 site. Amazing. Actual mileage average was 4.82 mpg, still a bit better than the O7 VII 3G.

sad useless buses they are LOL.

What the hell are you talking about?

As much as anyone may resent them, they're can at least operate in service without much problem. Useless would be a non-operational bus.

50% of LGA's fleet are near consideration for the latter category.

What the hell are you talking about?

As much as anyone may resent them, they're can at least operate in service without much problem. Useless would be a non-operational bus.

50% of LGA's fleet are near consideration for the latter category.

LGA is in rough shape indeed.

RE: LFS, I definitely like the build quality of those buses. Hopefully they come up with an interior that manages the space better.

Archived