Should there be more stops on the eastchester/dyre avenue line.

kingal11234

The Eastchester/Dyre Avenue line has many gaps in its service. There are at least 5 different streets with buses that intersect the line but dont connect to it because their are no stations there. I know that this is because the 5 train simply replaced station stops along the former New York ,Westchester,and Boston Railroad, but to me there should be more stops in this line? Your thoughts people

No need to slow service with new stations.

- Riders of the Bx26 come always just get off at White Plains Road and get the (2) and (5). Really one of the reasons way some (5)s runs via White Plains Road on rush hours.

- Bx30 riders can get off at either Dyre Avenue and walk down two blocks to the terminal station without transferring to the 16 (Most people from Co-op City would be smart to use the Bx12SBS or Bx28/38 route, of course.) OR Baychester Avenue, walk down a half-a-block south and the station is right there.

- From the Bx31 getting off at Gun Hill Road, it's an easy walk two-three blocks west to the actually station.

With that being said, agrees with VG8.

I'm pretty sure the OP is referring to the section between E180th and Dyre Ave.

That's what I thought, too although I'd love to have operated my (5)north of Dyre Avenue into Westchester County on the original ROW. I think the line is fine the way it is because it was laid out as a railroad and not a subway line. If it was built today the only place I could envision an added stop would be between Pelham Parkway and Gun Hill Road at the point it crosses Allerton Avenue and I'm not sure the cost would outweigh the benefit. It would be too close to the existing stations,IMO. Carry on.

How many stops are we going to have? It's a friggin' subway not a personal car service! There's something called walking... 

No need to slow service with new stations.

- Riders of the Bx26 come always just get off at White Plains Road and get the (2) and (5). Really one of the reasons way some (5)s runs via White Plains Road on rush hours.

- Bx30 riders can get off at either Dyre Avenue and walk down two blocks to the terminal station without transferring to the 16 (Most people from Co-op City would be smart to use the Bx12SBS or Bx28/38 route, of course.) OR Baychester Avenue, walk down a half-a-block south and the station is right there.

- From the Bx31 getting off at Gun Hill Road, it's an easy walk two-three blocks west to the actually station.

With that being said, agrees with VG8.

Why should BX 26 riders have to get  at white Plains Road to get to the subway? Of cause coming from Bedford Park it's not a problem. But if you are coming from Baychester or co-op city it only adds more time to their commute to than the should have. Why should  there not be anymore stops on this line. If you look at the NYC Subway Map you will find that most subway stations or located at points of intersections with subway lines. While its not common for trains to have stops at points with no bus service. It is not common to have buses and trains intersect each other without a connection, and for good reason. Trains and buses feed into each other. Take a look at the Station stats for stations with a bus a connection and for those with it. You would that stations with bus transfers tend to have higher ridership than those that dont have. The same is true  for buses. Buses that have many train connections tend to have higher riderships than those that dont.

The Eastchester/Dyre Avenue line has many gaps in its service. There are at least 5 different streets with buses that intersect the line but dont connect to it because their are no stations there. I know that this is because the 5 train simply replaced station stops along the former New York ,Westchester,and Boston Railroad, but to me there should be more stops in this line? Your thoughts people

The way stations are spaced on that line will probably be the future of all new lines. Turn to Second Avenue for example.

Even in my town the new bus stops are way more spaced out than the old ones (my town is full of separated bus lanes). That is the way the future is gonna be, like CenSin says. And even then, would enough people use any new station that would be built along the Dyre? It's not like you're gonna build it for free. People need to actually use it else it's just a lot of money thrown away.

Why should BX 26 riders have to get  at white Plains Road to get to the subway? Of cause coming from Bedford Park it's not a problem. But if you are coming from Baychester or co-op city it only adds more time to their commute to than the should have. Why should  there not be anymore stops on this line. If you look at the NYC Subway Map you will find that most subway stations or located at points of intersections with subway lines. While its not common for trains to have stops at points with no bus service. It is not common to have buses and trains intersect each other without a connection, and for good reason. Trains and buses feed into each other. Take a look at the Station stats for stations with a bus a connection and for those with it. You would that stations with bus transfers tend to have higher ridership than those that dont have. The same is true  for buses. Buses that have many train connections tend to have higher riderships than those that dont.

Oh boy... Baychester and Co-Op city have other options besides the subway and if people want to be near a subway move closer to a subway then.  Besides if the Metro North stations are built the lack of rail options in those areas won't be an issue anyway.  

1. Baychester and Co-op City residents are close enough to the subway. Most Baychester residents can walk to the (5) and Co-op residents are a short bus ride away from either the (5) or (6)

2. The Dyre Av line doesn't need any more stops.

Not only that but Co-Op City esp. gets good bus service to the subway anyway and if they don't want to deal with that they have the BxM7 which sometimes runs every 5 minutes.  I mean Christ, how spoiled does this person want to be?? 

(I try to avoid touching upon this kind of topic, but I guess I have to in order prove my POINT!)

And if you look at Google maps/earth, you may see my point. You're looking at the subway map with no perfect road detail, where on Google Maps you can see all the detail even the Dyre Avenue Stations' open-cut sizes from that view. I'm standing by my point that the riders can catch the (2)(5) at White Plains Road. I think they can survive a 28-minute commute and take the rush hour (5) that skips stop between 180 Street & 149 Street or the (2) if they don't give a damn much. As I said before: FROM CO-OP CITY, THEY CAN EITHER TAKE THE BX12SBS OR THE BX28/38 INSTEAD.  :rolleyes:  On the Bx28 from Co-op City, it takes 19 minutes to get to the (5). On the Bx12SBS, they'll pretty much just take the <6> on rush hours. Plus, Gun Hill Road is only two block from the Gun Hill Road Station from Allerton Avenue. The stations would be TOO close together being they Pelham Pkwy and Gun Hill are only 2 minutes apart on the line.

The Bx26 route is mostly for people who prefer to go to Grand Concourse for the (B)(D), (4) at Jerome or mainly for the students of Lehman College. Gotta to tell ya, that's a prefect peaceful for those students and I'd know. I've done my running-around research exploring the bronx. I've been everywhere in the city to know this. Thank You!!! ^_^

Just so know my side of it....

So why should  the Eastchester line have less stops than the White Plains line? It was planned to have  to have more stations in the first place

Ugh..... If YOU have that chunk of capital, by all means.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Further more, What are these plans do you speak of? <_<

So why should  the Eastchester line have less stops than the White Plains line? It was planned to have  to have more stations in the first place

You may not understand. The Eastchester line was part of the New York, Westchester, and Boston Railway. The TA bought it from them when it closed down. The stops were the ones that exist now.

Archived