Should there be more stops on the eastchester/dyre avenue line.

kingal11234

So why should  the Eastchester line have less stops than the White Plains line? It was planned to have  to have more stations in the first place

The stations are the stations from the New York, Westchester and Boston railway. Nothing changed. There were no plans to have more stations on that stretch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York,_Westchester_and_Boston_Railway

The only thing that would benefit Co-Op City is if the Dyre Ave line gets extented to Co-Op which would be doable since it kinda follows the old ROW and then with a curve goes into Co-Op. But that costs a lot of money. But *if* something should be done to benefit Co-Op this *would* be it.

Stations in between won't help 'em and it won't help others either.

Lower is density, higher is the distance between stops.

Looking with Google, the area seems to be dominated by little single familly houses.

The distance between stations is not even high (only 1km) and the stations have a pretty low ridership.

I don't see the need of a new station in this section.

It is because the frequencies are low but if you look the overal traffic of the stations, it is not high.

Eastchester – Dyre Avenue: 1,309,695

Baychester Avenue:  1,106,959

Gun Hill Road: 1,683,011

Pelham Parkway: 897,433 

Morris Park: 554,320

It means that Gun Hill Road, the busiest station had about 5,500 entries per workday in 2011.

And that is not high??? What have you been smoking???

Still, people in the area are asking for extra service because service is really bad at the moment so demand is there. If you don't believe me, people from here can tell you.

No it is not high, the median station of New York subway by traffic, Winthrop St, had a ridership of 2,173,945 in 2011.

All those stations are below the median.

Morris Park is among the least used stations of New York subway system.

Still, people in the area are asking for extra service because service is really bad at the moment so demand is there. If you don't believe me, people from here can tell you.

This is not surprising because the frequencies are low (5tph now according Google) but this doesn't means that the overall traffic is high.

Woah guys. Just claim down. All of us already agreed that there are no possibilities of any new stations along the esplanade cut. Let's just leave it as that.

In any case, how does a station in the hundred thousands+ entries not considered as high? :mellow:

No it is not high, the median station of New York subway by traffic, Winthrop St, had a ridership of 2,173,945 in 2011.

All those stations are below the median.

Morris Park is among the least used stations of New York subway system.

This is not surprising because the frequencies are low (5tph now according Google) but this doesn't means that the overall traffic is high.

5,500 riders a day is higher than some bus lines. To give you an idea, the S61/62 out on Staten Island carry a little less than that (individually). And keep in mind that this is in a city with very high transit usage. (By U.S. standards anyway)

Because Morris Park also sees usage from Metro-North. Still, let's wait for the people here to tell you that there is demand on the Dyre Ave line for extra service without extra stations.

Morris Park doesn't have Metro-North service. That plan is a proposal.

Exactly whom is demanding this increased service on the Dyre Avenue Line? What time of day is this increased service needed? Weekday or weekend? I worked the Dyre (5) for over a quarter century and except for a few rush hour intervals I've never encountered this supposed need for more service. Dyre, Gun Hill, and Pelham Parkway(to a lesser extent) have higher ridership during rush hours because of bus traffic and that's about it. Outside of rush hours you could probably fit the patrons at Morris Park into one car. At 3 pm the only crowds I've seen on the line are schoolkids at Baychester, Gun Hill, and Pelham Parkway. Surely we're not advocating schooltrippers like they do on the buses, are we? As far as adding an additional stop or two on the line the idea is "foam" as far as I'm concerned. Additional trains or stations on the line aren't justified no matter how you look at the statistics. That's my opinion but you are entitled to your own. No offense to anyone. Carry on.

5,500 riders a day is higher than some bus lines. To give you an idea, the S61/62 out on Staten Island carry a little less than that (individually). And keep in mind that this is in a city with very high transit usage. (By U.S. standards anyway)

Even for a bus 5,500 riders a day is not high.

The median local bus line by traffic of NYC Transit Bus, line Bx17, had 10,000 riders per weekday in 2011. 

Even for a bus 5,500 riders a day is not high.

The median local bus line by traffic of NYC Transit Bus, line Bx17, had 10,000 riders per weekday in 2011. 

But remember that's one station. So that one station has higher ridership than lines like the S62. If you want to consider the whole line (which is still shorter than a lot of bus lines in the system), that's what, 5 stations on the line? Multiply that by 5, and we're talking about over 25,000 riders. (Probably closer to 30,000, if Morris Park has the lowest ridership)

Honestly, a station with less than 2 million entries is a station with a rather low ridership.

The ridership of the five stations of the Dyre Avenue Line combined was 5,551,418 in 2011. That's 19,439 entries per weekday. 

For five stations this is not what I would call high, especially when you know that there are 76 stations (or 66 stations per weekday traffic) with a higher ridership than those five station combined. 

Honestly, a station with less than 2 million entries is a station with a rather low ridership.

The ridership of the five stations of the Dyre Avenue Line combined was 5,551,418 in 2011. That's 19,439 entries per weekday. 

For five stations this is not what I would call high, especially when you know that there are 76 stations (or 66 stations per weekday traffic) with a higher ridership than those five station combined. 

Well, that's what I'm saying. Relative to other subway lines, it may be low, but it's still not something you can brush off like that. But let's just agree to disagree on that.

Don't forget that a subway system costs a lot of money to operate and maintain. 

A subway station with only 1.5 million entries annually cost more money than it brings back.

Except to lose even more money, there are not enough demand to built an other station on this line.

Everybody would love to have a subway next to its home (as long it does not make too much noise) with frequencies under 2 minutes but it is not possible everywhere.

MTA has already enough financial difficulties. 

Archived