MetroCards can be converted under plan that will include $1 green fee for new cards

Harry

None of the details make any sense. Seems like the MTA realized last minute that they needed to give more options to let people hold onto their cards longer when they should ahve given peopel these options years ago. 

This situation is so silly on many levels.

• Cause: The MTA introduces Metrocard and phases out the token.

Effect: For two decades, the MTA has been distributing countless non-recyclable pieces of plastic that eventually ends up as litter versus the tokens which mostly get returned to the MTA.

• Cause: The MTA runs "out of money" and realize that the Metrocards and the related accessories (like turnstiles and vending machines) cost them a large amount of money to maintain.

Effect: The MTA decides to charge $1 to offset the costs.

I don't think the MTA has ever thought about the "green" aspect of reusing Metrocards. It just so happens that being green when it saves money makes it convenient to use the term in place of "surcharge".

Addendum: I just found this.

Effect: For two decades, the MTA has been distributing countless non-recyclable pieces of plastic that eventually ends up as litter versus the tokens which mostly get returned to the MTA.

• Cause: The MTA runs "out of money" and realize that the Metrocards and the related accessories (like turnstiles and vending machines) cost them a large amount of money to maintain.

I don't think the MTA has ever thought about the "green" aspect of reusing Metrocards. It just so happens that being green when it saves money makes it convenient to use the term in place of "surcharge".

Nice find!

Censin: the only good thing about the metrocards is the subway to bus transfer and the elimination of the ppr bus transfers (the long orange or blue ones, not the ppr card) when using the card. But I too wouldn't mind going back to the simple days of the token. At least then I won't have to worry if the reader took another fare when it wasn't supposed to.

What they should do is get the ppr cards to allow for a transfer from the bus to the subway and for the turnstile to offer a transfer after depositing the token in to use on a bus. This way we can get rid of the metrocards.

I just have a question with all of this new metrocard system changes, say you have a 30-day unlimited and you want to put $$ for the Express Bus, would the card get rejected or would the money balance be paid?

The money balance that is on the card would be paid.

Yep, I noticed that early this morning also....

For the hell of it, I'm going to see for myself what constitutes the "add time" feature on a dummy/null MC......

My exact words when I saw that prompt at nevins whilst refilling the MC was "C'mon, add time, what the f*** is this shit now"....

If you do it via the MVM, it'll tell you your card is about to expire, and it'll prompt you if you want a new one..... Hit yes, then it'll give you a new card w/ whatever amount you wanna put on it (plus w/e amount you had on the old card) & you'll be good to go... No one dollar fee or nothin like that.... If you do it via the s/a, he/she will tell you your card's about to expire & will automatically give you a new one (that happened to me once also).....

Now if they were to charge people $1 for getting a new card due to an old one expiring, yes, that would be some bullshit IMO... If that's the case, these things shouldn't have expiration dates on em.....

Well the other day I went to refill one of my MetroCards and I decided to refill one that still had cash on it.  I wanted to add the Unlimited Express Bus Plus option and it allowed me to do so.  The thing is though, when you get your receipt, it doesn't show you that you have the 7 Day Unlimited $50.00 pass AND the amount of money you have for pay-per-rides. I had to swipe the card at one of the machines to get that info. That needs to be changed and fast.

@jemcclain: So are you saying that for example, if someone buys a regular 7 day card (not the Express Bus Plus option) and let's say they want to ride the express bus and have cash on the card as well that the card would automatically deduct the monies from the card?  In other words, in the past I've seen people try to use the regular unlimited Metrocards on express buses and it would just say not valid and they would have to pay the $5.50 or get off and get change or a pay-per-ride Metrocard. Now from what you appear to be saying the system would automatically fall back on the monies that is on the card once it sees that the unlimited card can't be used on the express bus right?

I ask this because when I used my card the other night, it started deducting from "the time" I had as it is supposed to do and left the $6.00 I had left over.

Well by what the others are saying, it seems you can have an unlimited ride card with some $ on it. So basically the Path would take the $, but you can still use the unlimited for the MTA.

The money balance that is on the card would be paid.

It has been confirmed by the MTA: 

http://www.mta.info/metrocard/mcCombinationValue.htm

Note:  On PATH, AirTrain and Express buses, a MetroCard with both time and value will deduct the value based portion of your card (as these services do not accept 7- and 30-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCard).

This applies to almost any use of "green" by corporations. Companies trying to be "green" is generally trying to save money. But being "green" is the perfect PC/Consumer Relations way to admit it.

Edit: I wonder if you can add unlimited 7 day Express time to a card that already has 7 day or 30 day unlimited time on it and be able to use them simultaneously.

Edit: I wonder if you can add unlimited 7 day Express time to a card that already has 7 day or 30 day unlimited time on it and be able to use them simultaneously.

And why would one do that anyway? It would probably be cheaper to just get the Express Bus card since you can use that on the local bus and subway.

Well the other day I went to refill one of my MetroCards and I decided to refill one that still had cash on it.  I wanted to add the Unlimited Express Bus Plus option and it allowed me to do so.  The thing is though, when you get your receipt, it doesn't show you that you have the 7 Day Unlimited $50.00 pass AND the amount of money you have for pay-per-rides. I had to swipe the card at one of the machines to get that info. That needs to be changed and fast.

@jemcclain: So are you saying that for example, if someone buys a regular 7 day card (not the Express Bus Plus option) and let's say they want to ride the express bus and have cash on the card as well that the card would automatically deduct the monies from the card?  In other words, in the past I've seen people try to use the regular unlimited Metrocards on express buses and it would just say not valid and they would have to pay the $5.50 or get off and get change or a pay-per-ride Metrocard. Now from what you appear to be saying the system would automatically fall back on the monies that is on the card once it sees that the unlimited card can't be used on the express bus right?

I ask this because when I used my card the other night, it started deducting from "the time" I had as it is supposed to do and left the $6.00 I had left over.

If you have money AND unlimited on the same card, the unlimited is used up first.

If you have money AND unlimited on the same card, the unlimited is used up first.

lol... You didn't get the question... The question was if I have a regular Unlimited Metrocard AND cash on the card and I want to ride the EXPRESS BUS, will the reader see that the Metrocard is NOT an Unlimited Express Bus Plus card and deduct the money from the card? In the past one could only use a 7 day Express Bus Plus card, as regular Unlimited MetroCards could not be used and this is still the case.  Since the cards are set up to take the time from the card before the money and the time can't be used in this case, I want to know if the reader will take the money or will it just kick back the card and say card invalid or what?  

I've just learned via subchat that PATH is implementing the same policy concerning the surcharge.Not suprised in the least, just throwing it out there....

http://www.panynj.gov/path/metrocard.html

http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1207632

Effective March 3, 2013, a $1.00 fee will be charged for each new MetroCard purchased at a MetroCard Vending Machine (including those at PATH stations) or station booth, or commuter rail station. Click here for additional information about the MetroCard $1.00 New Card Fee.

PATH accepts the Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard as well as the Unlimited Ride MetroCard, provided the Unlimited Ride MetroCard has sufficient value on it to pay the PATH fare. PATH does not accept any EasyPayExpress MetroCard. MetroCard may be purchased from any PATH vending machine as well as from any New York City Transit vending machine. The current full fare is deducted each time the MetroCard is used at a PATH turnstile. MetroCard can be used for the payment of up to four fares during any 18 minute period. Click here for additional MetroCard information, including MetroCard terms and conditions.

lol... You didn't get the question... The question was if I have a regular Unlimited Metrocard AND cash on the card and I want to ride the EXPRESS BUS, will the reader see that the Metrocard is NOT an Unlimited Express Bus Plus card and deduct the money from the card?

Yes.

It works like this people: 

If you have cash and unlimited on the same card...Unlimited will be accepted where applicable, where invalid it will deduct the appropriate fare from the Cash portion. Very Simple to understand.

My question is (not really critical, but still want to know) if you pay 6$ on Express bus and Xfer to the Subway/Local Bus what gets used first the Unlimited or the Xfer?  

How many Unlimited can you store on a Card? when they first started allow refilling it was 2 sets of the same unlimited can be stored on a card (2 7days or 2 30days)...Now it sounds like you can buy several unlimiteds but the days added keeps rolling regardless if you break in between  or not...

Example: I have 3 days left, I buy a 7 day unlimited that now gives me 10 days from today, there's no longer 3 days, then the 7 starts with the When you first swipe. Someone let me know if I have this wrong. So if I want to take a break in between my 3 days left and the new 7 day, I can't refill until my 3 days runs out then the new 7 days will start with my first swipe. 

Let me know if I have this right. 

My question is (not really critical, but still want to know) if you pay 6$ on Express bus and Xfer to the Subway/Local Bus what gets used first the Unlimited or the Xfer?  

My first reaction was that it doesn't make a difference, but I suppose you might want to ride a second express bus after the subway, in which case that transfer should still be valid. No idea if that's how it's actually implemented, though.

If the card has $12 on it, can it be used by two people boarding an express bus? If it's then swiped at the subway, does it let them both enter?

How many Unlimited can you store on a Card? when they first started allow refilling it was 2 sets of the same unlimited can be stored on a card (2 7days or 2 30days)...Now it sounds like you can buy several unlimiteds but the days added keeps rolling regardless if you break in between  or not...

I believe it's still two, and they're treated as separate unlimited periods, so you can take a break between them if you like.

At least I think that's right - I'm sure someone will correct me if not.

My first reaction was that it doesn't make a difference, but I suppose you might want to ride a second express bus after the subway, in which case that transfer should still be valid. No idea if that's how it's actually implemented, though.

If the card has $12 on it, can it be used by two people boarding an express bus? If it's then swiped at the subway, does it let them both.

This leads me to believe Xfers will be taken over Unlimiteds in those situations....otherwise people could do a lot of three legged Xfers.....Express bus 6$ - Subway/Local Bus Unlimited - Express Bus Xfer

$1 surcharge is crazy.

I refill my 30-Day MetroCard before, but got damaged from NICE (former MTA Long Island Bus) farebox. It sent my 30-Day MetroCard to old expirations day, even thought it was suppose to be new one (That was in Jan 2013.

$1 surcharge is crazy.

I refill my 30-Day MetroCard before, but got damaged from NICE (former MTA Long Island Bus) farebox. It sent my 30-Day MetroCard to old expirations day, even thought it was suppose to be new one (That was in Jan 2013.

If a $1 surcharge is crazy, you my friend need a better paying job.

My mom buys Unlimited MetroCard but she don't trust refilling MetroCard.

(MTA) needs to fix turnstile, NICE needs to fix farebox, etc.

Refilling cards are fine, my cards last the whole year, even when I used to get transit check and swiped/dipped the card several times a day. get one of those metrocard holders to prevent it from bending

I only had an issue one time where my unlimited card got bent, it worked on the subway, but the buses couldn't read it.

I had to buy a new unlimited card and send the old one in.. Can one can get the fee waived if you're replacing a damaged card?

My mom buys Unlimited MetroCard but she don't trust refilling MetroCard.

(MTA) needs to fix turnstile, NICE needs to fix farebox, etc.

Well, refilling a card isn't terrible. It's that or she has to pay the $1 surcharge. Just explain to her that there is nothing to worry about regarding refills. Or keep a pay per ride card handy. (let the monthly card expire after the 30 days and then refill it at a MVM so there's no worry about some overlap).

Archived