B/Os in training

Via Garibaldi 8

I was on a BxM2 the other morning and saw a 3G I believe over by Central Park West and 81st.  As usual there was a B/O in training and then a bunch of other folks on the training bus. I actually see a lot of them in the city, usually near Union Sq, and this was the first time that saw a training bus elsewhere.  My question is how many of these B/Os actually make it and become B/Os?

I saw 4 or 5 training buses at Cooper Square on Tuesday. I believe that a lot of the guys are just getting their yearly recertification, not the initial test to become a B/O. 

Yeah well I always see a lot of those training buses around a certain time of the year, usually around the Union Square area.  It's odd that I've never seen any in any of the outer boroughs though.

You know what I've noticed is that they barely train people on RTSes any more, seems like those are 19As only. I used to see the training class on 106th and Lex almost every Monday, and each time it was an RTS (8809 or 4949 from ENY, 9206 from FP, 9216 from 126, 4936 from JA, some 9300 from LGA, few various GA and FB buses...now that I think about it, Ulmer used to send some 1996s as well). Haven't seen RTSes there in over a year now, it's all NGs from KB and the like. Shame, I liked seeing those buses up there, and unless the ops are tall I'm sure those are better buses to train on.

You know what I've noticed is that they barely train people on RTSes any more, seems like those are 19As only. I used to see the training class on 106th and Lex almost every Monday, and each time it was an RTS (8809 or 4949 from ENY, 9206 from FP, 9216 from 126, 4936 from JA, some 9300 from LGA, few various GA and FB buses...now that I think about it, Ulmer used to send some 1996s as well). Haven't seen RTSes there in over a year now, it's all NGs from KB and the like. Shame, I liked seeing those buses up there, and unless the ops are tall I'm sure those are better buses to train on.

Yeah the RTS's seem to be pretty much out... I've noticed that too...

I saw a training bus like two weeks ago in Little Neck. It was an Orion VII NG HEV, but the weird thing was, it wasn't filled with B/Os like you saw VG8. It had what looked like one B/O driving and then what looked 4 managers or guys in suits. They were walking around the bus, touching things and what looked like inspecting. But there was a sign in the front that said "Training" as you can see in my video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKkvx0_xw0A

I saw 4 or 5 training buses at Cooper Square on Tuesday. I believe that a lot of the guys are just getting their yearly recertification, not the initial test to become a B/O. 

I didn't even know you had to take a yearly recertification. That's for all drivers? Is it an entire day, or just like an hour or two, then the B/O's get to do their regular shifts that day?

I saw a training bus like two weeks ago in Little Neck. It was an Orion VII NG HEV, but the weird thing was, it wasn't filled with B/Os like you saw VG8. It had what looked like one B/O driving and then what looked 4 managers or guys in suits. They were walking around the bus, touching things and what looked like inspecting. But there was a sign in the front that said "Training" as you can see in my video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKkvx0_xw0A

I didn't even know you had to take a yearly recertification. That's for all drivers? Is it an entire day, or just like an hour or two, then the B/O's get to do their regular shifts that day?

I think that might be a Q19A training bus.

• 3 weeks later...

Almost everyday after school as I'm walking home from Bway 225th St (1) i see an XD60 parked between exterior street & Bailey avenue with training bus on the LED. And sometimes I see te same bus on exterior and then again on Bailey. I guess this is what they do. From parked on top of the Deegan, turn right on Broadway, right on W230th , right on Bailey and then right on to Kingsbridge Rd/W225 and park again where they were..

Anybody know why?

Almost everyday after school as I'm walking home from Bway 225th St (1) i see an XD60 parked between exterior street & Bailey avenue with training bus on the LED. And sometimes I see te same bus on exterior and then again on Bailey. I guess this is what they do. From parked on top of the Deegan, turn right on Broadway, right on W230th , right on Bailey and then right on to Kingsbridge Rd/W225 and park again where they were..

Anybody know why?

Speaking of West 230th st. I've seen buses from Kingsbridge going down Kingsbridge Avenue when I've been on the express bus, but they don't turn on West 230th.  Instead they keep down Kingsbridge Avenue.  Maybe they take a shortcut back to the depot at some point and cut onto Broadway since there are no buses that run over there??

Anybody know why?

There you go right there

Speaking of West 230th st. I've seen buses from Kingsbridge going down Kingsbridge Avenue when I've been on the express bus, but they don't turn on West 230th.  Instead they keep down Kingsbridge Avenue.  Maybe they take a shortcut back to the depot at some point and cut onto Broadway since there are no buses that run over there??

If they are already heading west down kingsbridge rd heading to the depot, then there is no need to turn anywhere until you get to broadway and turn left across heading to the depot

If they are already heading west down kingsbridge rd heading to the depot, then there is no need to turn anywhere until you get to broadway and turn left across heading to the depot

Not Kingsbridge Rd... Kingsbridge Avenue... They must be heading to the depot or something because there is really nothing over there.  I imagine they must cut over to West 228th street and then take that into Broadway, otherwise I don't get what is over there because I've seen several OOS buses taking that route by West 230th street when I'm on the express bus going to the city.

Not Kingsbridge Rd... Kingsbridge Avenue... They must be heading to the depot or something because there is really nothing over there.  I imagine they must cut over to West 228th street and then take that into Broadway, otherwise I don't get what is over there because I've seen several OOS buses taking that route by West 230th street when I'm on the express bus going to the city.

oh.. pardon self

Archived