Non-artic bus on M15 Local?

Gorgor

I don't know the names of bus models, so forgive me for not being too specific.

I was walking down 1st Avenue before and saw a low floor non-artic bus on the uptown M15 local in the 80s around 5:00 this afternoon.  Needless to say it was packed beyond belief. 

What would cause the MTA to do this? 

They've also been replacing the M31 line with low floor buses lately (and I saw one low floor artic on a week or two ago).

Was it a hybrid? Did you see "Clean Air Hybrid Electric Bus" on the bus? I can't believe they put one on the M15 though, that must have sucked for those riders. I'm willing to bet, the driver flagged stops with that 40 ft vehicle as well.

Wouldn't really surprise me as much, being that I've seen hybrids on the Bx12 LCL during occasionally trips to Fordham. It was bound to happen at some point....

I can confirm this... Seen the Hybrids on the Bx12 local myself...

Yes, there's no doubt that it was an M15.  It was also packed full of people.

It was the same type of bus as this: http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/972/800pxmtanewyorkcitybuso.jpg

That bus in the photo is an Orion VII Next Gen Hybrid... You saw one of those on the M15 eh? I can only imagine how packed that bus must have been...

Gorgor, that is a Orion VII Next Generation (NG) Hybrid Low Floor (LF). If you didn't know, the M15 and M15 +SBS+ both run out of 126th Street Depot. That depot also serves the M31, M116, and M35 with 40 foot (nonartic) service. Do you remember the #? Was it between 3877 and 3899?

If it was along the 80s along 1st Avenue, it's definitely an M15. They probably had a shortage of buses to have to run something like that out on the line. The only other route I could think of that goes up 1st is the M116, but its not in the general area you speak of.

I think the shortage is because too many D60HFs are leaving than LFSAs coming in.

Its a little bit more to that. The 1200s are having minor problems (forgot what exactly, nothing too serious) in which they are breaking down more often, which is why you would see some 5xxxs on the SBS routes from time to time.

...add that to the D60s kicking the bucket faster than expected and you got the problem right there

Its a little bit more to that. The 1200s are having minor problems (forgot what exactly, nothing too serious) in which they are breaking down more often, which is why you would see some 5xxxs on the SBS routes from time to time.

...add that to the D60s kicking the bucket faster than expected and you got the problem right there

The 12xx series of LFSA's are definitely having problems. The pressure is building too high in the fuel rails causing the computer to shut down the engine to avoid damage. The messed up thing with this problem is that the Cummins vendors can't even figure out the problem, and it's almost never the same solution to the problem.

The 12xx series of LFSA's are definitely having problems. The pressure is building too high in the fuel rails causing the computer to shut down the engine to avoid damage. The messed up thing with this problem is that the Cummins vendors can't even figure out the problem, and it's almost never the same solution to the problem.

Thats great. New buses and they're having these problems, yet we have a huge order for these things..

Wouldn't really surprise me as much, being that I've seen hybrids on the Bx12 LCL during occasionally trips to Fordham. It was bound to happen at some point....

I've seen O5s on the route on occasion. As for the M15, they used to have RTSs on the route until about 2003 (when the 7500-series Remans were retired).

How are even the Cummins people unable to find a solution? Fuel pump issue? Fuel getting too hot and expanding whilst on its way to injectors? Rabid curiosity has me interested. Keep us up to date on the issue.

For what its worth, the engine/transmission package (one or the other, maybe both, I'm not too sure) is different between the 1200's and the rest of the [Nova artic] fleet.

The 1200's in general suck, especially in the summer with their lack of AC. They are starting to prove themselves to be real lemons...

[edited for clarity]

Archived