The longest distance you have traveled on foot.

j express

Damn, son. And I thought I was a cheapskate. LOL.

When you talk about 20 miles and 35 miles, is that round-trip or one way?

And yeah, for me, I live around a half mile from the bus, and then from the bus stop to school is another quarter mile or so, so that's bascally a guaranteed 1.5 miles of walking a day. And then add in the time I walk around the hallways at school, and then anything I have to do after school, and it's a decent amount.

They say 20 minutes of walking a day (about a mile) is generally recommended to maintain a healthy body weight, so that's one advantage of using public transportation.

Both were one-way. If you only get around by walking out here, on average you can do 10 miles all in all. I blame the massive sprawl and inadequate planning, as well as it is very suburban the Inland Empire.

I would compare yesterday's walk as walking 1/3 the length of Manhattan.

And the health benefit is another plus of using public transit.

From Fordham Road and Webster Avenue to 138 St Grand Concourse.

From 167 Street and Morris Avenue to East 233 St and White Plains Road (jogging).

Tried making it to Wakefield but got too exhausted and nearly dehydrated.

Damn, son. And I thought I was a cheapskate. LOL.

When you talk about 20 miles and 35 miles, is that round-trip or one way?

And yeah, for me, I live around a half mile from the bus, and then from the bus stop to school is another quarter mile or so, so that's bascally a guaranteed 1.5 miles of walking a day. And then add in the time I walk around the hallways at school, and then anything I have to do after school, and it's a decent amount.

They say 20 minutes of walking a day (about a mile) is generally recommended to maintain a healthy body weight, so that's one advantage of using public transportation.

I think you mentioned a while back that you walked from Bushwick to Midtown & Brownsville to Downtown Brooklyn (or something to that effect).

I'm suprised you remembered cuz I sure as hell forgot lol

...walked from my old place in Bushwick to Benjamin Banneker high school (was in some little crap program back in high school), then one day I walked all the way downtown...only took about an hour and a half

Thats 12 miles! Take it from someone who walked twelve miles total 2 weeks ago.....

.....Dont! 

I couldnt walk at all for 2 days after that!

Manhattan is 12 miles long? Shit, I walked half of that on Friday. I could probably do it all in 70 minutes.

I broke my record of my longest distance walked. I walked from my house in Sunset Park to the Flatbush Av (2) in 94 minutes. I followed the B11 bus route from 5 Av/50 St to its terminus. One thing that was ironic that when I passed the C40f B11 bus at Fort Hamition Pkwy it didn't move until it caught up with me at Gleenwood Av and East 29 St. I just did this walk today.

In Manhattan, I guess the longest single burst I've taken was from the East Village up to West Harlem, something like 130 blocks, more depending how you count crosstown blocks. Then again, there've been plenty of days where I've walked downtown and then back uptown or vice versa and probably done more than that. Out of Manhattan, hard to really keep track but I'll walk from Flatbush / Windsor Terrace up to Queens Plaza time to time, or at least from Queens Plaza to Southside Willyburg pretty frequently, so that probably counts for something. 

Generally fine with walking up to about 60-70 blocks on any given day, anything more than that I've gotta set aside time for in advance.

Back sometime in November I had talked it from school, West 49th Street and 9th Ave in Midtown to my home the East Village, FDR Drive and East 4th Street, around 4.5 miles, took me around 2 hours to talk it, even though if. I take the bus and subway it takes around an hour, not bad at all.

• 4 months later...

Probably the time I walked from Beach 94th to Beach 116th for the Q35, this is when the (A) was out and no buses were able to get across the Crossbay Bridge because of a big pileup in Broad Channel, decided to do that instead of going back to Mott on the (H) for the shuttle bus. Then once I got there I remembered that the MTA had enabled 3 way transfers from the Q22 to the Q35 and (2)(5), I swear I felt like such an idiot. And yeah, I use a PPR Metro (obviously) so it's all about that $2.50...

I did something similar to that except I walked all the way down towards the beach and walked along it for over 10 blocks before turning back to that road where the Q21/Q53 runs along. I could've just walked to the closest Q53 stop and gone directly, but missed a bus and walked to the bus stop before another showed up. Wasn't too bad plus I did intend to take some pics of the area anyway.

I ran last week from Bay Ridge Avenue to the Manhattan Bridge (halfway over the Manny B obviously I am not superman) with breaks for rehydration. I had to walk back, that was a rough run. And it took me one day to recover from the severe pain in my feet and also my lower back, shit the pain was bad, although not in my thighs or calves. Not trying that again for a good long while.

Today, saw the primary care doctor for monthly check up, lost almost 30 pounds from early 2013 all and all, I'm at 182 lbs right now at 5'10". BP good, Glucose levels good, almost at my IBW. Considering weightlifting again soon to get that Bruce Lee type of tone. If i can do it. forget it, I'll be breaking alot of ladies hearts once I get beck into the maddening and chaotic NYC dating scene.

Forget the running shoes from that run, they're totaled. Tossed them, the soles were so worn out after that run.

Got to keep it moving....

Whenever I want to catch a train on the weekends, I walk (well, more like run) to Hempstead, which is a bit over a mile away from where I am.

It's 30 minutes if I'm fast on my feet.

Wow, you must have a tight schedule to adhere to man, lol. That's good.

Archived