Welcome to the 2013 Major & Minor League Baseball Thread

alejr88

- The yankees actually hit for scoring production tonight... Was shocked to see double digits in the runs column on their side (and their name in yellow, denoting a win... smh) on the bottom ticker of ESPN...... How bad was the losing streak before this latest win?

- I'm not buying into the hype w/ the Pirates.... after 80 games last year, they also got off to a good start (44-36) - but they tanked down the stretch (35-47)..... It may look like a stark difference being 20 games over .500 right now, but they're only 6 games better this year after 80 games (at 50-30) than they were last year..... I think they'll be in the wildcard running this year, but MLB network need to tone it down a bit w/ the overpraising of the pirates.....

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- The yankees actually hit for scoring production tonight... Was shocked to see double digits in the runs column on their side (and their name in yellow, denoting a win... smh) on the bottom ticker of ESPN...... How bad was the losing streak before this latest win?

Five. Every other week since the Mets series they've had a five game losing streak. And that was after going nearly two months without losing more than two in a row.

Five. Every other week since the Mets series they've had a five game losing streak. And that was after going nearly two months without losing more than two in a row.

Embarrassing.

Which is part of why they're only 4 stinkin games over .500 now.....

Look on the bright side though, the Yankees are going to Minnesota, and even when they're doing badly they always dominate the Twins, so theoretically this should be something of a breather.

Maybe this gets the Yankees rolling. Three good wins in a row.

Also, anyone else like that Chair of Broken Dreams the Twins gave Mo?

I would've loved to have seen it. Very classy and appropriate given how many bats Rivera has broken. I'm glad some of the bats were indeed broken due to Rivera, so that makes the chair extra special.

It's a very cheeky gift and it blows everyone else's out of the water... I'd love to see another team top that...

(Boston probably has the only shot of outdoing it, honestly.)

This kid Puig is over-exerting himself; he better be careful.... He injured his thigh catching a fly ball in this past game; the thigh of which ended up hitting a padded section of the wall *shrugs*.....

Maybe this gets the Yankees rolling. Three good wins in a row.

Also, anyone else like that Chair of Broken Dreams the Twins gave Mo?

Yup, during yesterday's (well, tuesday's) game..... LMAO'd when I saw it !

I would've loved to have seen it. Very classy and appropriate given how many bats Rivera has broken. I'm glad some of the bats were indeed broken due to Rivera, so that makes the chair extra special.

ku-xlarge.jpg

Tell us something we don't know. I am a little pissed Kuroda was snubbed, but then remembered they usually don't allow pitchers who pitch the last game before the break to play (or something like that). But basically despite his poor run support, he's been their best pitcher this year. I dunno about Robertson and why he gets the nod, but whatever.

Looking bleak about Texiera, looking even smarter about the odd experiment in putting overbay in the of as now he'll be the 'everyday' 1b again. Would've been big trouble if they released him and having no one decent at 1b now. Nunez, the guy can hit and proved to be the difference in yesterday's game.

Tell us something we don't know. I am a little pissed Kuroda was snubbed, but then remembered they usually don't allow pitchers who pitch the last game before the break to play (or something like that). But basically despite his poor run support, he's been their best pitcher this year. I dunno about Robertson and why he gets the nod, but whatever.

Looking bleak about Texiera, looking even smarter about the odd experiment in putting overbay in the of as now he'll be the 'everyday' 1b again. Would've been big trouble if they released him and having no one decent at 1b now. Nunez, the guy can hit and proved to be the difference in yesterday's game.

That doesn't mean they can't be named... I've actually heard they name "ineligible" starters to the team just so they can be honored as an all-star, and then have an "eligible" starter pitch. So since he didn't make the team, he got snubbed. W-L record is the godliest of stats. (Just like how no one pays attention to the inherited runners-scored stat, except Michael Kay.)

I'd actually posit that he, right now, is just as good as Matt Harvey if not better. The Yankees can't score runs to back Kuroda up, so he should have a better record than he does -- while it seemed for a while that the Mets would bail Harvey out every time he was in line for a loss, so he really should have a worse record than he does. The only reason Harvey gets so much attention is that he's a great player on a bad team.

BTW Tex is done for the season, so Overbay is it.

@GC I think Kuroda made the team, he's replacing Buchholz who is injured but I could be wrong.

It's possible Kendrys Morales could be available via trade, Lyle Overbay is not the solution. He's a has been.

Oic, if this is so, it must be recent because i didn't hear of this. But still the fact he's there as a replacement doesn't make me feel any better about it, imo

Yeah, that's true, eventually he's gonna 'run out of gas'. But at the moment, i dont see anyone from within doing the job and with youk out, 3rd base is also bleak.

@GC I think Kuroda made the team, he's replacing Buchholz who is injured but I could be wrong.

Oic, if this is so, it must be recent because i didn't hear of this. But still the fact he's there as a replacement doesn't make me feel any better about it, imo

Because it's not true.

Jim Leyland picked Bartolo Colon to replace Buchholz.

Per the Diamondbacks website, "Since Buchholz is currently on the disabled list and will be unable to participate in the All-Star Game, his replacement is Bartolo Colon of the Oakland Athletics, per Leyland’s choice.  Buchholz will be recognized as an All-Star and has been invited to New York with full All-Star honors."

See, here's the thing... Colon is always around the strike zone. That means he'll either make quick work of guys, or -- as the Yankees prove almost every time they face him -- everything will get hit. But that strategy has given him an 11-3 record this year.

In terms of ERA Colon and Kuroda are similar -- 2.69 to 2.77. But because W/L record is the godliest of stats Colon gets to go over the 7-6 Kuroda.

So, is anyone else sick of hearing about Puig? I know I am.....

Remember when Ethier was dickridden, then it was Kemp that got all this attention out of nowhere, now it's Puig.... Dodgers have a nact for acquiring players like this.....

Last year in particular, the dickridden player was Mike Trout..... I'll give him credit because he's at least keeping his praise-worthiness up this year to where it's still justified.....

As far as the ASG goes, I still believe that if you're in your first season of MLB play (regardless of how long you been in the minors beforehand), you should not be eligible to for ASG candidacy......

ESPN is having a hard on for the guy. I just don't bother hearing about him. If he was on the Yankees, maybe I'd care, but I don't want to hear it about some other team's guy. Didn't care about Hamilton, don't care about Trout... etc.

Wait, so they actually care about people who don't play for the Red Sox?

In other news Joba and Hughes are apparently on the trade block, and Jeter's equipment has been shipped to New York...

- ESPN actually isn't sackriding the Red Sox too hard this season - Hell must be about to freeze over..... Come to think of it, overall, the coverage the Red Sox been gettin has been rather minimal; They're the quietest 55-37 team I ever remember knowing of in a whie......

- Yankees actually do something productive with the bases loaded last night for once (Overbay GS).....

plus Another great start by Nova, 2 in a row now.......

- Yeah, Joba sealed his fate w/ that situation w/ Mo....

Long before that though, you can thank the Yankees for f***in up his career progression - he's damaged goods as it is.....

Long before that though, you can thank the Yankees for f***in up his career progression - he's damaged goods as it is.....

Yeah, anyone remember when Joba and Hughes came up they were supposed to be the next generation of homegrown Yankee pitchers?

Wait, so they actually care about people who don't play for the Red Sox?

In other news Joba and Hughes are apparently on the trade block, and Jeter's equipment has been shipped to New York...

That's a surprise with ESPN... :lol:

Yeah, anyone remember when Joba and Hughes came up they were supposed to be the next generation of homegrown Yankee pitchers?

I do... Not much hope for them now...

Honestly, nope. Just have to hope they get anyone half decent. Either way it'd be to dump both as half season rentals before they become free agents. For Hughes, it'd be a salary dump and one less player to worry about to get to that $189mil goal.

I think Andy might be trying to compensate for his back. Either way if he goes 5 decent innings now, that's pretty much all you can hope for.

Archived