Welcome to the 2013 Major & Minor League Baseball Thread

alejr88

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as they hand out the suspension before he returns... seems that injury bought them a few more days...

On the trade rumors, is it a good idea to bring former 2b Alfonso Soriano? I don't think he's going to help this team much, but otoh, I kinda doubt the Yankees will be sellers even if their playoff chances are slim. As long as the Cubs aren't asking for a big name prospect, I wouldn't be too much against it. Maybe with Soriano, they can get rid of Haffner.

As long as they hand out the suspension before he returns... seems that injury bought them a few more days...

On the trade rumors, is it a good idea to bring former 2b Alfonso Soriano? I don't think he's going to help this team much, but otoh, I kinda doubt the Yankees will be sellers even if their playoff chances are slim. As long as the Cubs aren't asking for a big name prospect, I wouldn't be too much against it. Maybe with Soriano, they can get rid of Haffner.

The deal is all but done, according to mlb.com.

Frankly, anyone would be better than Hafner right now. Even Wells has picked it up recently.

Also A-Rod won't be returning until August. Hell, at this point we could use him too.

Well other than when Kuroda and Rivera pitches, I was equally happy seeing Soriano back in pinstripes ready to bat. Yeah he didn't do much, but he sure didn't stink up the place like CC did. Good god, what's wrong with him? I don't want to wish it is an injury, but he's been doing very poorly that even games Hughes pitches are a little better and that's just sad.

Seems like while Soriano is here, ARod's still gone, so I guess it must be fate they never play together as Soriano was part of the package that sent ARoid from Texas to the Yankees following Aaron Boone's f'up playing basketball.

he sure didn't stink up the place like CC did. Good god, what's wrong with him? I don't want to wish it is an injury, but he's been doing very poorly that even games Hughes pitches are a little better and that's just sad.

I think Pettite needs to tutor him a little on adding deception and guile to his pitching... that 95 mph fastball is a thing of the past.

It's a pity the games they score runs in, they still get out slugged, but close games like today with a very good pitching performance and they lose...

I was at today's game... as soon as the Rays scored their run someone behind me said, "That's it, game's over."

I'll be at tomorrow's too. Hope things turn out differently.

I was at today's game... as soon as the Rays scored their run someone behind me said, "That's it, game's over."

I'll be at tomorrow's too. Hope things turn out differently.

and their honoring matsui at the game and hopefully jeter plays in the field..

Much as I want Jeter back, I feel they are rushing him back too soon. He'll injure himself again because he has to be a hero and overexert himself for the team. I want Jeter to be at 100%, not like 80%...

I don't want to be the demoralizer, but I'm frankly pessemistic this year. AL East is too crowded and unless Boston and the rest have major setbacks, I don't see the Yankees even having a shot for the 2nd wc spot. And even if they get in, they'll get 'shut out' because this team can't hit for shit and it's probably worse than last year's team.

How many times have the Yankees been shutout this season so far?

I come home, and I see they lost 1-0.... I don't know what it is, but the Yankee franchise as far back as I can remember, has always had trouble with pitchers they've never faced before......

Much as I want Jeter back, I feel they are rushing him back too soon. He'll injure himself again because he has to be a hero and overexert himself for the team. I want Jeter to be at 100%, not like 80%...

I don't want to be the demoralizer, but I'm frankly pessemistic this year. AL East is too crowded and unless Boston and the rest have major setbacks, I don't see the Yankees even having a shot for the 2nd wc spot. And even if they get in, they'll get 'shut out' because this team can't hit for shit and it's probably worse than last year's team.

Yup, I don't know why they rushed him back the first go-round.... Now look what happened....

As for your pessimism, I think the very reason you stated (in bold) may actually help the Yankees remain in it.... You're not gonna have 2 teams in the AL east racking up a large amt. of wins.... In other words, if you have a situation where Boston, Tampa Bay, and Baltimore all canceling themselves out, you're gonna have a pretty decent race for the AL east.... This seems to happen almost every year in the AL Central, so it seems....

Now as far as the Yankees getting a WC spot by the skin of their teeth, I'd agree that they're not gonna do shit but get ousted in the 1st round...

Good points, in years past, it used to be a 2 horse race, then 3 and now with Baltimore, 4.

I know it'll never happen, but I think it's time to go back to a 2 division system, but have 3 wc spots (1 for each division and the 3rd being for either division, and the team with the lowest record of the 4 playoff teams has to play the 5th team). For the most part the Central (al) and sometimes the Western (nl) teams are the weaker divisions. 

i'm getting a bit tired of seeing the team with the least best record squeak by and then get hot in the playoffs (cardinals, tigers) while other teams with better records labor in the playoffs. If we have the current 2 wc set up, then punish the team with the weakest record than the team in the tougher division.

i'm getting a bit tired of seeing the team with the least best record squeak by and then get hot in the playoffs (cardinals, tigers) while other teams with better records labor in the playoffs.

LMAO... I gotta agree with you on that one.... Same recent trend is happening in the NFL as well.

Omg, you know my stance on the NFL. Why do they need 4 divisions of 4? And you have the idiot Cowboys staying in the East just to be with the Giants. Why can't they form their own rivalry with the 49ers? At least those 2 are closer together. The divisions sound good on paper, but when you have teams that are in the 'wrong' location, then what's the point? Just have 2 divisions of 8 or have 1 super division like the NBA/NHL and have the top 6 teams fight for the spots. They should also keep the leagues separate and try to have each each team play all the teams in their league (15 games) and the 16th be a city/state rival. This keeps things nice and fair as everyone played the same teams at least once and no more of the 'easy' or 'hard' schedules.

And you have the idiot Cowboys staying in the East just to be with the Giants. Why can't they form their own rivalry with the 49ers? At least those 2 are closer together. The divisions sound good on paper, but when you have teams that are in the 'wrong' location, then what's the point?

TV/ratings/money.

On another note I was at the games yesterday and today... different crowds each. But much louder than the replays suggest. The place was booming when Jete hit that homer.

Got my bobblehead too. Very classy thing done by the Yankees regarding Matsui. Wish him the best in his future endeavors; he was one of my favorite players when he was still here.

Part of me hopes A-Rod doesn't play tomorrow in Chicago. If he comes back they have to free up a spot on both the 25-man and the 40-man. If he gets suspended shortly after, he would have forced the Yankees to make one or two roster moves they didn't have to make. There's no way he's getting out of this, so he might as well just accept the penalty and come back to collect in 2015... if he can still play.

Right now he's putting himself before the team, much more so than he ever has before.

Yeah, i don't buy it about how the team can use him. Even though he'd be an improvement over who's playing at 3rd, the negative distraction he brings will make things worse. As for Jeter, they've been rushing him too soon. I don't get why they let him play SS. He should be the dh and let Nunez get comfortable in one spot for a change. Nunez will never develop if he isn't given a clear spot.

Yeah, i don't buy it about how the team can use him. Even though he'd be an improvement over who's playing at 3rd, the negative distraction he brings will make things worse. As for Jeter, they've been rushing him too soon. I don't get why they let him play SS. He should be the dh and let Nunez get comfortable in one spot for a change. Nunez will never develop if he isn't given a clear spot.

I think Nunez has been given enough time to develop. He's been playing mostly shortstop for a good long while now, so he'd better put up or go somewhere else. Cruz is a much better defensive shortstop, and Lillibridge has been really impressive at third.

Archived