Welcome to the 2013 Major & Minor League Baseball Thread

alejr88

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It might be one of those cases where they can stand toe to toe with the best, but lose to the worst*. Baseball is crazy that way. Robertson did ok, well he has to as he's pretty much the heir to Rivera's spot. Kuroda still the undeniable ace (snubbed unfairly at the asg, f**k you Leyland). 

*Yankees have done pretty well in the regular season against the Tigers, but it's the playoffs where the Tigers still pwns them.

Kuroda still the undeniable ace (snubbed unfairly at the asg, f**k you Leyland). 

Girardi believes he's Cy Young worthy. If he keeps going the way he's going and the baseball writers can get the anti-Yankee blinders out of their eyes, he just might win.

Hem. Tough call. Sure they don't have a shot this year, but I can't see them actively tanking the season. ARod may have given the network a boost in ratings, but if the team sucks, that also affects the bottom line which can be worse than trying to go under the $189 mil mark.

If this was a week ago, that is possible as this team can't keep winning/losing by 2-3 run margins.

Hem. Tough call. Sure they don't have a shot this year, but I can't see them actively tanking the season. ARod may have given the network a boost in ratings, but if the team sucks, that also affects the bottom line which can be worse than trying to go under the $189 mil mark.

If this was a week ago, that is possible as this team can't keep winning/losing by 2-3 run margins.

I wouldn't say they don't have a shot. Just remember what happened to the Braves and the Sawx two years ago.

If only they can look past the win/loss record. His era has been fairly consistent. Extremely unusual considering how usually NL pitchers have difficulty in their transition to the AL (with few exceptions :damn Boston:).

King Felix won a Cy Young Award and didn't have a winning record. Chris Sale of the White Sox doesn't have a winning record and yet they mention him in the CY discussion. Max Scherzer doesn't deserve the award, f**k his 17 wins.

Damn Boston on what? Ryan Dempster who isn't the same pitcher once he left the NL? Yeah I agree.

Nope, it seems CC is just his now subpar self. Kuroda could've used that run support as at least he gave up fewer earned runs. The only positive is Andy finally had a good start and Mo calmed everyone down in closing the game and not giving up a run. On the Arod thing, the pitcher threw 4 inside pitches, it was obvious he was trying to hit him. The ump should've issued a warning after the 1st pitch. Joe was right to argue.

On the Arod thing, the pitcher threw 4 inside pitches, it was obvious he was trying to hit him. The ump should've issued a warning after the 1st pitch. Joe was right to argue.

Only the Red Sox would pull something like this off. No one from Chicago or Detroit or Los Angeles even thought of doing such a thing. Dumpster should be suspended.

just came down Dumpster suspended 5 games  and fined undisclosed

It's a pathetic slap-on-the-wrist suspension. Since the Sucks have a few off-days coming up he doesn't even have to miss a start... then again, if he keeps pitching the way he has been as of late, maybe it's better he doesn't (for us).

Also heard during the second game today that he got fined 2500 -- while Girardi was fined 5000 for defending his player.

And that he was "genuinely" surprised that he was suspended.

Expect nothing less from our great commissioner, Butt Selig.

It's a pathetic slap-on-the-wrist suspension. Since the Sucks have a few off-days coming up he doesn't even have to miss a start... then again, if he keeps pitching the way he has been as of late, maybe it's better he doesn't (for us).

Also heard during the second game today that he got fined 2500 -- while Girardi was fined 5000 for defending his player.

And that he was "genuinely" surprised that he was suspended.

Expect nothing less from our great commissioner, Butt Selig.

well i think the fine was worth it for girardi hell i would have went nuts too and i think they fined girardi a little extra cause he went after dempster swearing at him and screaming on the way in to the clubhouse SOMEONE'S GONNA GET HIT SOMEONE'S GONNA GET HIT! 

well i think the fine was worth it for girardi hell i would have went nuts too and i think they fined girardi a little extra cause he went after dempster swearing at him and screaming on the way in to the clubhouse SOMEONE'S GONNA GET HIT SOMEONE'S GONNA GET HIT! 

I still object to it. It sends the message that it's more "wrong" to blow up at an umpire while defending your player than to intentionally hit someone with a baseball.

Yes, Girardi should have gone nuts. Yes, Girardi should have been fined, but at the very least the fines should have been even. Which is the greater offense?

Indeed. If the fines were the same, then ok. Just shows the imbalance in fairness. Or maybe it's a message that MLB is subtly saying they don't care what happens to ARod?

As for the suspension: hollow and meaningless. For a pitcher, he'll just miss a day at most, if it was a position player that would be a real impact. If this was a real suspension, he would've had to miss a start (has to wait till the rotation is done without him). So although he was suspended, it's not really a punishment.

Lol, I feel sorry for Toronto. Dead last, when they were supposed to have improved themselves with all those free agent signings. And they were exactly what the Yankees needed with the double header win. Hughes to his credit pitched his best game in a while. Nova was actually less sharp and was bailed out due to a good run support. It is nice the team does get the game winning run in the 9th again. It's the few times the team can be happy given the subpar season and arod mess.

Indeed. If the fines were the same, then ok. Just shows the imbalance in fairness. Or maybe it's a message that MLB is subtly saying they don't care what happens to ARod?

dempster was only fined 2,500  Girardi fined 5,000  and you are right the suspension is not fair  they can just tinker the rotation and they have days off ahead 

As for the suspension: hollow and meaningless. For a pitcher, he'll just miss a day at most, if it was a position player that would be a real impact. If this was a real suspension, he would've had to miss a start (has to wait till the rotation is done without him). So although he was suspended, it's not really a punishment.

If the team has no days off, then the pitcher has to miss a start because you have to keep everyone else on regular rest. But Boston has a few days off coming up so they could jiggle the rotation so that Dumpster doesn't.

It is very clear that MLB is out to get A-Rod at this point, although I would expect that the next pitcher that intentionally throws at him would get a much stiffer penalty.

Archived