Welcome to the 2013 Major & Minor League Baseball Thread

alejr88

And Joba continues to suck.. at this point a minor leaguer is a better option than him. Joba makes me hate Hughes less. At least Hughes can pitch 4-5 innings. You can't even trust Joba with a blowout lead, why trust him while the game was still close? Can he even pitch an inning anymore? 

As one of my friends (who was at the game) put it, "Kelley blew it, Logan blew it, and Joba was typical!"

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you have a crucial series against the Red Sox, I don't care how good your defense is, you can't have an automatic out (ahem Chris Stewart) hitting in front of Ichiro... Romine is a great defensive catcher himself has hit much better the past month.. why not put him in

...almost on cue for the 2nd time in this game Chris Stewart can't drive in the tying run with men on 2nd and 3rd

Jeez, 8-4 lead and they can't hold it? They finally put Hughes in the pen and he blows the one area he probably could've had a chance to redeem himself in ... god him and Joba picked the worst year to screw up royally....

:sigh: start of the year they can't hit, after that the starting rotation was shaky, now it's the pen. There's always one area that falls apart at the worst time instead of being all at once. I think it'll be best they save themselves the embarrassement of being bounced in the wc match. smh.

What's worse now is that the Yankees bullpen is very THIN. Robertson is injured with a bum shoulder, Logan has a sore bicep and Mariano tossed 2 innings yesterday. I wonder who is going to close tomorrow. Maybe Shawn Kelley who is coming back from a tricep injury, a rookie named Cesar Cabral who is a lefty guy, The chubby alcoholic, Mr. I don't have an out pitch, Wild Betances, or scrubs like Jim Miller and Matt Daley. That is all they got against the Orioles this upcoming series. At least Baltimore and Cleveland lost. Damn how you gonna get shut down by Daisuke Matsuzaka of all pitchers.

At least there's offense for now but they need their pitching to step up.

Like I said before, they have the worst times to have one key area fail on them. I'm glad they can finally hit for some more runs now, but the pen was the main thing that made this flawed team better than the others in the wc race.

Just sad how they lost 3 and the first 2 were winnable if not for the pen meltdown. Even saturday's embarrassement wasn't too far out of reach. That's why this was such a devastating series. All the flaws were exposed. I can let Mo's blowup pass because he was forced to pitch 2 innings, but he frankly hasn't done well in the series at all. I frankly was surprised they actually won given how Kuroda has been shaky against Boston. This would've been one of the games I expected them to lose, but they won it.

I'd be livid if I still thought this team has a shot, but even with the trade for Soriano, I still had my doubts about this year. The other teams like the A's are just way too good and if it is the A's as the 1 WC spot, then I'd expect a slaughter with the way this team has been playing.

Tampa Bay has been playing terrible for the past few games. Cleveland and Baltimore is the one the Yankees should worry about if Boston keeps beating them.

Don't forget about the Kansas City Royals. They beat Cleveland earlier today, 6-2, and are, at this point, 2.5 games behind Tampa Bay.

With how poor Texas has also played, there's a possibility both the Rangers and Rays may be on the outside looking in once the season's over.

Tampa Bay has been playing terrible for the past few games. Cleveland and Baltimore is the one the Yankees should worry about if Boston keeps beating them.

And by them I mean the Rays.

sad thing is the yankees could've won that home series vs boston and could've taken tb's place now. I am glad the team has been able to come back against baltimore like last night with :sigh: the long ball.

Either way, it doesn't really matter. It's probably going to come down to either boston, tigers, or the a's winning it all in the alcs. Dunno about the nl, so won't comment on that.

Jeter officially shut down for the year and i kinda blame him trying to rush back and wanting to play ss instead of being just the dh. If he was the one that insisted to play on the field, then he has himself to blame for pushing his limits especially at his age. I dunno what he will have left if he can play next year.

Who'd have thought arod would play more games than jeter (and maybe also youklis)?

Vladimir Guerrero has officially retired:

All-time great slugger Vladimir Guerrero has decided to officially retire from the game, Hector Gomez of Dominican outlet Listin Diario recently reported (Spanish-language link). "I decided to announce my retirement due to my desire to spend more time with my family," said Guerrero (in Spanish), "as well as because of the two operations that I've had on my right knee."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/09/vladimir-guerrero-announces-retirement.html

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, this thread is dead. But yeah, no surprise about the Yankees being eliminated. I will say the farewell tour for Mo was the highlight of this depressing season and having Andy and Jeter go out and pull him out of the game was a classy move. If it was Girardi's idea, very very good job for that. Technically he could've done it himself as he was with Mo in the early years too, but Andy and Jeter doing that was better. Andy getting that CG win at Houston (his 'home') was as perfect as you can get and evens his record to ensure he never had a losing season (never knew that). So I guess the big thing will be who stays and who goes. I also hope ARoid gets suspended the whole year so they can save on that. Cano, I dunno, given Texira and ARod's history, and now CC, I don't think long term contracts are a good thing especially a guy who's at his prime and not very young anymore. If the price is the $300 mil I heard about, then forget it and let him walk.

So the Yankees are done, we all knew that. I'm lookin forward to tonights Rays vs. Rangers game. Cleveland making the postseason since 2007, I wonder if Terry Francona wins manager of the year, nobody expected Cleveland of all teams to get the 1st Wild Card.

I just hope the Yankees don't overpay Cano. They got CC, Teix, & A-Rod to worry about. Idc if Vernon costs the minimum next year, keep him on the bench and play him vs. lefties. He and Ichiro do not deserve to go and play everyday. Hopefully the Yankees sign Brian McCann so they don't rush J.R. Murphy to the bigs. The rookie ain't ready for the majors just yet, he only played b/c Romine was out with a concussion and Stewart, yeah he sucks.

Rangers pretty much said they want no part of this year's playoffs....

The Rays put up Price & you (they) put up.... Martin Perez ??!?!

...I just hope the Yankees don't overpay Cano. They got CC, Teix, & A-Rod to worry about. Idc if Vernon costs the minimum next year, keep him on the bench and play him vs. lefties. He and Ichiro do not deserve to go and play everyday. Hopefully the Yankees sign Brian McCann so they don't rush J.R. Murphy to the bigs. The rookie ain't ready for the majors just yet, he only played b/c Romine was out with a concussion and Stewart, yeah he sucks.

Even if George was still alive & Cano presented such an offer, George would've had to been a fool to oblige....

These 2 clowns Hank & Hal, who knows what they're up to.... Personally, I think they're looking to wash their hands w/ the Yankees - but that's another topic.....

Anyway, Cano's a great player, no doubt... But he's not A-Roid A-Rod (jokes aside), and they can not afford to indulge in another long term, hefty salaried contract..... I don't like the idea of long term contracts anyway (the NHL is gettin rather crazy with them); IMO it tends to make  players complacent (just wth happened to Pujols this year anyway ??)....

Was I right or what on the Rangers? It's been downhill for them since 2011. Take that Nolan Ryan, you smug bastard. 

The sons, well they're damned either way on the Cano issue. Fans (because they don't give a damn about the future) will pressure them to retain Cano because there's no one left. Even without Aroid to worry about, it remains to be seen which other players they keep and god knows they need to shore up the rotation. The team is going to be at best 4th place next year unless they find some players from within or at least take some other teams' sloppy 2nds that won't fade out by the year's end.

Rangers have been overrated for the longest now.... Only player I ever liked from the rangers in the past decade or so was Michael Young....

As for the Yankees... The return to mediocrity is coming, as was predicted (not by me on here, but to peers offline... which wasn't a hard thing to predict... lol... eventually these guys were gonna get old & retire... I just didn't think it would be as bad as who they got/would have left when the vets go)..... See, I believe in the law of averages; and with the yankees having done damage in the Torre era with all those 'ships, I gotta say the 2020's (screw it, I won't even go that far... the rest of the 2010's) are lookin reallllll bleak right now.....

The question I suppose is, will Hal & Hank even try to be competitive for these next few years to come... Or will they simply try to "get by" on the Yankee name (Look at how that's working for the Lakers)......

Obviously it will be cheaper to go under the limit to 'reset' the tax. So I fully expect a very lean 2014. 2015, well that's where it'll be interesting. Obviously there's still players to get rid of and others to bring in (if there are any like in 2009). The free agency lists looks worse and worse by the year and slightly above average players are getting overpaid because of the thin market. The Yankees need to look at hiring the scouts that the Rays have. Clearly the Rays have been doing things right with their poultry payroll.

I think Jeter needs to announce his retirement next year because there's not much he can do and it may as well keep some of the fans around to see him play for the last time. Jeter's mistake was trying to play the field when he should've stayed as just the DH. I dunno if it was him making the call to play the field (ego thing or over zealous sense of helping his team at his expense), but whoever's call it was, they should be fired (if it wasn't Jeter).

A.J. Burnett from 2010-2011 showed up on game 1 and well you know what happened. Cards took game 1 while former Yankees first round draft pick Gerrit Cole shut down the Cardinals in game 2 and now the series is tied. Damn if only the bastard signed with the team on 2008, Yankee fan my a**

Clayton Kershaw dominates on game 1 and wins while Don Mattingly does stupid things and costs the Dodgers the second game. Intentionally walking REED JOHNSON to get to Jason Heyward?? That's just dumb.

Archived