Welcome to the 2013 Major & Minor League Baseball Thread

alejr88

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Angels really? I expected to see the Blue Jays at the top but whatever. I still don't think the Angels are winning the Series, they have a mediocre manager in Mike Scioscia. A man who played Jeff freaking Mathis over Mike Napoli and Hank Conger. Sure they have offense, but I'm still skeptical with their pitching. Still think the Rangers have better pitching than them even if they lost Hamilton.

As for the Yankees, yeah they lost a lot of power in their lineup but they are still solid and can work the count to try to get on base (except Cano). I really don't care about Swisher leaving at all, thank you for the regular seasons from 09-12 but thank goodness I don't have to sit on another postseason AB by Swish. Yanks are the underdogs, that's fine and all but I just want to see if Jose Reyes can survive astroturf and if Josh Johnson stop bitching about Girardi ruining his arm. Not his fault that you're injury prone.

I'm not in the baseball "mode" yet, so I don't know what's goin on so far.... Well, outside of Granderson's injury or w/e.....

Lol about vernon wells.... not exactly sure when it happened, but he went from an all star caliber type player to over-the-hill almost overnight.... kind of like paul pierce with the celtics....

(as a yankee fan), You knew it was gonna eventually get to this point - it was simply a matter of when.

I still say they should've kept Russell Martin around, but then again, none of us could've predicted Swisher throwing the tantrum that he did, leading up to him leaving the team.... We lost a lot of HR production in the offseason.... All I gotta say at this juncture is, get used to seeing a shitload of sac' bunts & CS' (caught stealing's) this year... If that's the case, I won't be watching too many yankee games - even if they end up winning playing that way... That style of baseball bores the hell out of me.....

Yeah, but I guess the 2 yr thing was the killer. If Martin okayed a 1 yr deal, I think he'd still be here. I think Swisher was gone regardless. I think he was a fine regular season player, but he can't shake that dreadful post season numbers and may as well be off the team. Once they got back Ichiro for 2 yrs, I think the OF is stable. Of course it also depends on if they want to keep Granderson (so it remains to be seen if the injury forces him to focus more on the small ball over the long ball+strikeouts).

I don't blame you, nothing excites people more than homers, but the way they had to rely on that to beat the Os and stay alive vs the Tigers showed how badly flawed that idea was. They aren't facing 3-5 type starters in the playoffs. So I'm keeping a low expectation of this team. But I don't think they will roll over and die, the pitching should still be decent, they just need to score some damn runs with risp.

The Angels really? I expected to see the Blue Jays at the top but whatever. I still don't think the Angels are winning the Series, they have a mediocre manager in Mike Scioscia. A man who played Jeff freaking Mathis over Mike Napoli and Hank Conger. Sure they have offense, but I'm still skeptical with their pitching. Still think the Rangers have better pitching than them even if they lost Hamilton.

As for the Yankees, yeah they lost a lot of power in their lineup but they are still solid and can work the count to try to get on base (except Cano). I really don't care about Swisher leaving at all, thank you for the regular seasons from 09-12 but thank goodness I don't have to sit on another postseason AB by Swish. Yanks are the underdogs, that's fine and all but I just want to see if Jose Reyes can survive astroturf and if Josh Johnson stop bitching about Girardi ruining his arm. Not his fault that you're injury prone.

I dunno, I still see the Jays as last years Angels and later the Dodgers: they get the big named guys they wanted, but still failed to make it to the playoffs. I do think if the players all gel and work as a team instead of individuals, the Jays have a shot, but I won't say they are automatic locks.

Yes, the astroturf issue, that's going to be very bad for a 'fraile' guy like him. He never should've 'okay'ed' that trade unless it involved a 3rd team that plays on a normal grass field. Lol, he's still bitter about that? damn.

Yeah..

In addition, this is Joba Chamberlain's final year on his contract. After this season he'll be a free agent. Joba stated that he wants to be a starter, I've always been a supporter of Joba starting games and felt he didn't get enough of a chance to do so. Maybe the Chicago Cubs or some other team give him a chance to start, Jeff Samardzija had a heck of a year as a starter given that he also was being moved from the bullpen. Somehow I don't understand why Joba didn't get more chances to prove he can start and mediocre guys like Ivan Nova and Dellin Betances (who can't find the strikezone) get tons of chances.

I think that year they allowed him to be a starter was botched because they kept putting so much restrictions on him. I too think he is maybe talented to be a 4 or 5 type starter and with kuroda likely retiring and maybe Andy, I think they could put him in one of those spots. I dunno what to expect with nova; Hughes's latest setback worries me and if he asks too much, he's gone; Pineda, have to hope he comes back from his shoulder surgery... So I do think there could be a shot for him if the management wouldn't be so stubborn and keep him as a reliever only.

Yeah, but I guess the 2 yr thing was the killer. If Martin okayed a 1 yr deal, I think he'd still be here. I think Swisher was gone regardless. I think he was a fine regular season player, but he can't shake that dreadful post season numbers and may as well be off the team. Once they got back Ichiro for 2 yrs, I think the OF is stable. Of course it also depends on if they want to keep Granderson (so it remains to be seen if the injury forces him to focus more on the small ball over the long ball+strikeouts).

I don't blame you, nothing excites people more than homers, but the way they had to rely on that to beat the Os and stay alive vs the Tigers showed how badly flawed that idea was. They aren't facing 3-5 type starters in the playoffs. So I'm keeping a low expectation of this team. But I don't think they will roll over and die, the pitching should still be decent, they just need to score some damn runs with risp.

Roll over & die, no.... But at best, I see them being one of those teams on the lower end of a WC race come season's end... To be competitive, they're gonna have to rely too much on solid SP.... Aside from their recent RLISP issues, they don't have the personnel to perfect (or be all that competitive in playing) that small ball type of game.... On the bright side (I guess), I don't see them bringing up the rear in the AL east b/c I think the Rays & the Red Sox are gonna be worse....

In addition, this is Joba Chamberlain's final year on his contract. After this season he'll be a free agent. Joba stated that he wants to be a starter, I've always been a supporter of Joba starting games and felt he didn't get enough of a chance to do so. Maybe the Chicago Cubs or some other team give him a chance to start, Jeff Samardzija had a heck of a year as a starter given that he also was being moved from the bullpen. Somehow I don't understand why Joba didn't get more chances to prove he can start and mediocre guys like Ivan Nova and Dellin Betances (who can't find the strikezone) get tons of chances.

The Yankees successfully fu*ked up Joba's career/progression.... I wouldn't blame him if he left after this season to take on a starting role on some other team, either.......

True. Really rays that bad? Well then again with 5 teams here, someone has to be 4th. Agreed about the Red Sox.

No question they did. The only way to make it right is next year (they are going to need all the help they can get) let him try out for the starter spot if he resigns. I like phelps, but I see him as the long reliever type. I don't think he can successfully be a starter unless he goes like 5 good innings and the pen takes over.

True. Really rays that bad? Well then again with 5 teams here, someone has to be 4th. Agreed about the Red Sox.

No question they did. The only way to make it right is next year (they are going to need all the help they can get) let him try out for the starter spot if he resigns.

I like phelps, but I see him as the long reliever type. I don't think he can successfully be a starter unless he goes like 5 good innings and the pen takes over.

Lol... yup... I don't think these Rays will be better than the O's (nowhere near it), I think the Jays will be a few games better than the Rays, and the Yanks & Rays will be pretty close to each other (but I don't think the Yanks would end up worse than the Rays though)..... The Red Sox I think will be bottom dwellers this season.... In the next couple years, the Yanks might take their place, but that remains to be seen... The Sox look to be that bad, current date - I don't think anyone would argue that the Yanks are worse off than the Sox right now....

About Phelps, I have mixed feelings about the guy....

I think Toronto has a pretty good chance this year.  Although I'm a Red Sux fan I favor the Jays as well.

*Post # 1,000!!

Fixed! lol... ;)

I do agree that the Blue Jays do have a chance this year...

------

Has anybody been watching the spring training games? Only caught one and that was the one where Granderson got his injury...

Fixed! lol... ;)

I do agree that the Blue Jays do have a chance this year...

------

Has anybody been watching the spring training games? Only caught one and that was the one where Granderson got his injury...

School pretty much covers the game time for me, except Fridays. I haven't watched any, and I usually don't watch spring training games.

That Pineda trade bit the Yankees in the ass

Pineda didn't help his case being overweight and out of shape. But I don't think Montero was worth all the hype. I'm sure the shorter dimensions of the stadium would've helped him more than Safeco, but if he's bad defensively, he isn't that much better. I am hoping the other pitcher Campos is better.

Nope.... I make it a habit to not watch em...

Pineda didn't help his case being overweight and out of shape. But I don't think Montero was worth all the hype. I'm sure the shorter dimensions of the stadium would've helped him more than Safeco, but if he's bad defensively, he isn't that much better. I am hoping the other pitcher Campos is better.

Just heard that Mo' threw a couple pitches today.... What is/has Pineda been doing during spring training thus far? Or is he still injured....

Sick of gettin these pitchers that end up injured for most of, if not an entire season(s).... Last thing we need is another Pavano....

Yeah I read conflicting reports about Pineda, its as if no one even knows he's still here, I wouldn't expect him till after the asg. my guess is hell get some work in the minors if healthy and then by the break if they need him, he could start then. But just my speculation.

Oh god pavano and jared wright.... Shoulder surgery is bad, so if Pineda ever recovers..... I wonder where wang is? Last I remember he was with the Nats?

About Pineda, he just got on a mound and has only thrown fastballs and changeups in a bullpen session. Then he'll throw his sliders and keep up with the throwing program. He's progressing fine, don't expect much from him this year. Shoulder injuries can be a b*tch, hopefully he comes back healthy and better than before. Only time will tell.

@B35 Yeah, I hope the same for Joba. Find success as a starter just to rub it in the Yankees faces.

@Concourse Campos also got hurt last year, haven't heard anything from him at all. Must be in minor league camp rehabbing the elbow. Manny Bañuelos might as well rehab and wait for 2014, good thing he is still young enough to make it to the majors if he dominates AAA next year (barring setbacks and ineffectiveness).

I don't watch much ST games but I really like the arms and prospect the Yankees have based on the videos that I saw. Mark Montgomery can really dominate, he's kinda like Dave Robertson (strikeout guy) except he throws a slider instead of a curve. He'll probably start AAA this year or repeat AA who knows. Slade Heathcott, a hard nosed OF who can really hit, run, field, and throw. He can develop more power in the future, the problem with him is that he plays very hard and is prone to getting hurt. The former 2009 first round draft pick could make the team if he plays well in the spring but I doubt he gets to the majors this year, maybe next year he'll make it.

Damn campos is injured? Yeah I hope so. Last thing we need is both of the mariners pitchers to be derailed by injuries.

How amazing that in recent years, the M's have become a AAA-PLus low level developmental team for the Yanks. In the 1950's-early '70's it was the Kansas City club(now the current Oakland A's) and early KC Royals (before George Brett era)that the Bombers would get good upcoming players lol.

Meh, there wasn't much expectation this year given the goal to go under the limit. The only hope I have is for the team to not rely on the long ball as the only way to score runs (which was the big problem in the ALCS especially). Texiera is injured and out for about the same amount of time as Granderson. Another reason to hate the World Baseball classic.

Rivera announcing today or soon that this is his last season. So looks like it's gonna be up to Robertson to fill his shoes. It's him or Joba, but I dunno if the brass is gonna try to see if they will put Joba in the rotation next year since they're gonna need starters to at least replace Kuroda and maybe Andy. Hughes, I still have doubts. Given his injury history, if he asks for too much, I'd let him walk even if he has a good year this season.

2013 Season Predictions:   *wildcard

National League

East

Washington

Atlanta*

Philadelphia

New York

Miami

Central

Cincinnati

St. Louis

Pittsburgh

Chicago

Milwaukee

West

San Francisco

Los Angeles*

Arizona

San Diego

Colorado

American League

East

Baltimore

Toronto*

New York

Tampa Bay

Boston

Central

Detroit

Cleveland

Kansas City

Chicago

Minnesota

West

Anaheim

Texas*

Oakland

Seattle
Houston

Meh, there wasn't much expectation this year given the goal to go under the limit. The only hope I have is for the team to not rely on the long ball as the only way to score runs (which was the big problem in the ALCS especially). Texiera is injured and out for about the same amount of time as Granderson. Another reason to hate the World Baseball Classic.

The injury would have happened anyway if he didn't go to the WBC, he injured his wrist swinging off a tee. He didn't play a single game for the US, only took BP and then the injury hit.

Archived