Welcome to the 2013 Major & Minor League Baseball Thread

alejr88

Well, doesn't change my opinion about the WBC. imo, it should be played after the regular season is over. (only players on teams that were eliminated are allowed to participate.) That  way any injuries that happens to the players have no impact on the season and they'd have a few months to recover before the next. Spring training is to 'shake off the rust', not 'get thrown to the fire'.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, the WBC should be in October, I mean it's only a 3 week tournament.

Speaking of WBC, Last night (3/8/13) the US team lost to Mexico 5-2 in Phoenix at Chase Field. Thus they now in danger of not making it out of the 1st round.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/dickey-roughed-mexico-wbc-opener-article-1.1283800

Yeah so Mexico is done. Now all that's left is Canada & the US at 4pm to see which of those two teams advance to the second round.

As for Pool 1 in the second round, I wouldn't be surprised to see Japan and Cuba advance. Those teams take this tournament very seriously.

@ShortlineBus lolz wwe/hockey fight

USA advances to the second round by defeating Canada and faces Puerto Rico on Tuesday night. Meanwhile the Dominican Republic will face Italy on Tuesday afternoon. These games will be played at Marlins Ballpark.

@7linefan: Yeah so Manny goes to Taiwan, let's see what he does overseas.

This wasn't mentioned but Mariano Rivera held a press conference on Saturday stating that he will retire after the 2013 season. Derek Jeter and Mariano played in their first Grapefruit League game as well. Jeter played DH and went 1 for 2 that day and Mariano tossed a 1-2-3 inning with 2 strikeouts. Jeter will play on Monday again as the DH and maybe on Wednesday he'll play at SS.

I would prefer Jeter take his time than to rush back to play SS. Also imo, they should make Nunez field there more. He's terrible because he is always shifted around playing so many positions. I just hope he isn't too 'damaged' where he'd have to be a permanent dh. I want Jeter to succeed, but he should step down and let someone else take over his spot.

How many teams are in that WBC anyway?

Yeah it's glorified exhibition baseball, despite what David Wright said after they had to comeback against canada....

In that on field/post game interview, the way he was talking about it, you'd have thought olympic baseball was being played......

In his defense though, I'd rather be on Team USA over the Mets......

There were 16 teams, now there are 6 teams left with 2 of them going to the semifinals at San Francisco. The two teams are Japan and Kingdom of Netherlands who upset Cuba in order to advance. The other teams are Italy, USA, DR, & PR and only two of these four teams can advance to the semis this weekend.

There were 16 teams, now there are 6 teams left with 2 of them going to the semifinals at San Francisco. The two teams are Japan and Kingdom of Netherlands who upset Cuba in order to advance. The other teams are Italy, USA, DR, & PR and only two of these four teams can advance to the semis this weekend.

Cuba is gone? Wow. Other than Japan, the DR and of course the US, they been a global baseball power for like forever. :o

Wow, that DR/USA game was one hell of a game. The DR advances to the semifinals with a 3-1 victory over the Americans. Now USA has to face Puerto Rico tomorrow for a do or die matchup. The winner of that game advances and the loser goes home. By the way, Angel Hernandez is the worst MLB umpire ever, tonight's WBC game just proved it.

Met fans, David Wright just went to Port St. Lucie with an injured back.

Wow, that DR/USA game was one hell of a game. The DR advances to the semifinals with a 3-1 victory over the Americans. Now USA has to face Puerto Rico tomorrow for a do or die matchup. The winner of that game advances and the loser goes home. By the way, Angel Hernandez is the worst MLB umpire ever, tonight's WBC game just proved it.

Met fans, David Wright just went to Port St. Lucie with an injured back.

That means the Mets will get off to a slow start this season. I have a bad feeling that this could be the career-turning point for Wright.

That means the Mets will get off to a slow start this season. I have a bad feeling that this could be the career-turning point for Wright.

And that why all MLB teams worry about  their players playing in this so called "tournament" especially pitchers. So I agree with concourse that the WBC should be played in November right after the world series. While here in US, it would get overshadowed by the NFL and college football, at least any minor injuries occurred could have time to heal couple of months till the following spring for training camp. 

And the David Wrightless Americans, lose to Puerto Rico by the score of 4-3. Former Met Nelson Figueroa shut out Team USA for 6 solid innings.

I just saw in MLB Network that David Wright could start the season on the DL. Then again the Mets aren't contending so maybe Justin Turner or Murphy would fill in on Opening Day.

And the David Wrightless Americans, lose to Puerto Rico by the score of 4-3. Former Met Nelson Figueroa shut out Team USA for 6 solid innings.

I just saw in MLB Network that David Wright could start the season on the DL. Then again the Mets aren't contending so maybe Justin Turner or Murphy would fill in on Opening Day.

Hard to believe that the birthplace of baseball the USA has not even been to the WBC Championship Final at least 1x let alone win it. As a huge MLB fan, I have not even seen 1 inning of this tournament. This should be held in November right after the world series.

Hard to believe that the birthplace of baseball the USA has not even been to the WBC Championship Final at least 1x let alone win it. As a huge MLB fan, I have not even seen 1 inning of this tournament. This should be held in November right after the world series.

I agree, the US team doesn't have time prepared enough compared to the other teams. The DR, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, and those other teams play baseball over the winter and are more prepared on March compared to the USA. Japan however, prepares on January for the Tournament. I agree that it should be not only be on November, but in October but only players that are not participating for their teams in the postseason like Grand Concourse said. Something has to change for the 2017 WBC, hopefully it's that. Also, Angel Hernandez is the worst umpire in all of MLB, Thursday's game showed why.

Lol, see I told you guys so. I don't care that these injuries would've happened anyway. It is spring training for a reason. You can't expect people to play at a higher level so soon when they haven't finished shaking off the rust. At least the pro bowl has the right idea: players who's teams are eliminated from the playoffs could be allowed to play and if they get injured then, they have all winter to recover. It allows players who would otherwise say no at the beginning of the year to join if the team is out of contention. IMO, all players should've picked their teams first than the WBC out of commitment to their contracts or forfeit games missed due to injury. That would be the only way to force this 'Olympics' to be moved to later in the year.

Lol, see I told you guys so. I don't care that these injuries would've happened anyway. It is spring training for a reason. You can't expect people to play at a higher level so soon when they haven't finished shaking off the rust. At least the pro bowl has the right idea: players who's teams are eliminated from the playoffs could be allowed to play and if they get injured then, they have all winter to recover. It allows players who would otherwise say no at the beginning of the year to join if the team is out of contention. IMO, all players should've picked their teams first than the WBC out of commitment to their contracts or forfeit games missed due to injury. That would be the only way to force this 'Olympics' to be moved to later in the year.

I'll spare myself the aggravation over this WBC crap & keep this post short....

Lol @ this whole WBC thing in & of itself.... I agree & will do you one better - At least the pro bowl is an all star game !

(regardless if the all stars don't wanna play in it, you have all star type players being selected for the whole squad)

Quite honestly, I think if you're an all star caliber player (particularly an american one), you'd have to be a fool to want to participate in this exhibition tournament.... I'm not even making this about Wright either because I don't care for the Mets & it's besides the point that "injuries can happen anytime", or whatever the counterargument is regarding that.... The point is, you should be working out the kinks/rust/whatever you wanna call it with your respective MLB franchise.... I will never understand why people get as hype as they do over this tournament..... Winning the WBC isn't indicative of anything.... Have America win one year & I'd propose they forfeit/vacate the (meaningless) gold medal - That's how worthless I think the whole thing is.....

Question@ B35, Concourse, alejr or anyone else? Then why does the world cup/olympics in soccer, basketball and hockey work so well and popular? Is is because they hold during their off season? Further reason the WBC should occur in late October/November right after the world series.

Question@ B35, Concourse, alejr or anyone else?

Then why does the world cup/olympics in soccer, basketball and hockey work so well and popular? Is is because they hold during their off season? Further reason the WBC should occur in late October/November right after the world series.

For one, because the best of the best is being put on those teams in those other respective sports to (better) represent their countries... That is clearly not done in the WBC...

The Olympics is way more different, well for baseball's Team USA that is. I never seen an MLB star on team USA since the event takes place during the season. Could that be the very reason that Americans want to participate in the WBC instead since they won't be allowed to participate during the Olympics? Who knows, Team USA in Olympic baseball is just minor leaguers and some top prospects when the event happens every 4 years. Comparing it to basketball since most of the NBA stars participate in Olympics is different, during that time the NBA season is over.

WBC and Olympics aside, the Yankees signed former Detroit Tiger Brennan Boesch to a 1 yr. Major League Deal. The 27 year old OF was released by the Tigers, played his first ST Yankee game today. Boesch definitely fits the Yankee mold, a one dimensional power hitter who can hit HR's and that's it. I don't know if he'll improve with Kevin Long since he's not the same player he was since 2011 but let's see if he just needed a change of scenery. As for the 5th starter, I want David Phelps to win it over Ivan Nova.

That's a good point. Forgot about that.

If the USA team had all stars playing, then for sure they'd probably get the gold and that'd just piss off the committee because 'America owns that sport'. No surprise they dropped it. And of course if the Olympics was on, I doubt MLB would ok a 1 month hiatus to accommodate the Olympics meaning all the players not playing would get rusty and they'd loose revenue during the busy summer months. So in a sense I guess I kinda understand why the WBC seems to be so important to the players than the Olympics.

Archived