Welcome to the 2013 Major & Minor League Baseball Thread

alejr88

Obviously Team USA would beat everyone if the all star players participated in the Olympics, especially Cuba who fields the same team on every tournament they participate. Let it be the Pan American Games, the WBC, The Summer Olympics etc. R.A. Dickey (the hard throwing pitcher before he became a knuckleballer) participated in the 1996 Olympics (think it was in Athens) and pitched for Team USA and I bet you nobody knew who the hell he was at the time. I also found out that the baseball team did not participate in 2012 but did in 2008. Look at this roster, at that time I didn't know who those players were since they were in college or in the minors.

http://web.usabaseball.com/events/events.jsp?ymd=20081222&content_id=36018&vkey=event_usab

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PR just knocked off Japan. No three-peat.

One of the writers on a popular sports blog suggested that during years they play the WBC they start the regular season a week early and end a week late (I'm guessing this would also go for NPB and any other league that sends players), and have a two-week period during the summer where they play all the games. There would be sort of a revenue-sharing thing on merch and the like so it wouldn't be a total loss, but host teams would keep all the ticket sales. Thoughts?

PR just knocked off Japan. No three-peat.

One of the writers on a popular sports blog suggested that during years they play the WBC they start the regular season a week early and end a week late (I'm guessing this would also go for NPB and any other league that sends players), and have a two-week period during the summer where they play all the games. There would be sort of a revenue-sharing thing on merch and the like so it wouldn't be a total loss, but host teams would keep all the ticket sales. Thoughts?

Not bad idea. However (1) big problem? I don't think almost any MLB Owner in North America (probably ditto in the NPB)wants to lose $$$ in middle of summer even if the season was extended and this replaced the ASG break.

Not bad idea. However (1) big problem? I don't think almost any MLB Owner in North America (probably ditto in the NPB)wants to lose $$$ in middle of summer even if the season was extended and this replaced the ASG break.

What he said.

As for the other semifinal, the DR defeats the Netherlands 4-1 as the Dominicans advance to the finals and matchup against Puerto Rico.

Obviously Team USA would beat everyone if the all star players participated in the Olympics, especially Cuba who fields the same team on every tournament they participate. Let it be the Pan American Games, the WBC, The Summer Olympics etc. R.A. Dickey (the hard throwing pitcher before he became a knuckleballer) participated in the 1996 Olympics (think it was in Athens) and pitched for Team USA and I bet you nobody knew who the hell he was at the time. I also found out that the baseball team did not participate in 2012 but did in 2008. Look at this roster, at that time I didn't know who those players were since they were in college or in the minors.

http://web.usabaseball.com/events/events.jsp?ymd=20081222&content_id=36018&vkey=event_usab

The '96 Olympics was in Atlanta.

DR has won the 2013 WBC beating their Carribean neighbors Puerto Rico.

Now that the WBC is over, more bad news is happening in Yankeeland. Derek Jeter has inflammation on his surgically repaired ankle and received a cortisone shot yesterday. Brian Cashman says that Jeter might start the season on the DL.

Jeter has played I think it's 2 ST games at SS but he leaves after 5 or 6 innings and he has not played Shortstop in back to back days. He clearly is not ready to play yet in the season.

Man, I think this might be Jeter's last season if the ankle becomes a huge issue for him. We all know the kind of player he is, he's going to play through the pain this year. I don't know if he's going to pick up the player option for next season but only time will tell.

In other terrible news, Vernon Wells is coming to NY.

What up with cashman and these AARP or near ancient players?  And he did not resign Raul and Martin? Wells 5-6 years ago was a good player. Now at best he's a bench player on a good team. Not to mention Jeter's injury and this could be a long season in the Bronx. Saving grace is that the AL East is maybe the weakest it's been in years with no clear favorite. Other than the Sox any of the (4) other teams can win it.

Man this is the 1st time maybe in my lifetime that the opening of the MLB season here in NY area not be pumped up as normal. Few times circa 1999/2000 both teams were world series contenders or say 1980 Yankees were good and Mets crappy or 1988 Mets WS Contenders and Yanks at best a 2nd-3rd place club. reactions why?

Man this is the 1st time maybe in my lifetime that the opening of the MLB season here in NY area not be pumped up as normal. Few times circa 1999/2000 both teams were world series contenders or say 1980 Yankees were good and Mets crappy or 1988 Mets WS Contenders and Yanks at best a 2nd-3rd place club. reactions why?

I'm still a bit hyped but not normally as I would be... I guess it's because I haven't seen a season game in a while... The AL east is up for grabs this year instead of being battled by the usual contenders which should add a bit of hype for this season...

Can't edit my last post so I'll make a new one...

After getting released by the Red Sox, Lyle Overbay has signed with the Yankees for a minor league deal:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130326&content_id=43320498&vkey=news_nyy&c_id=nyy

Yankees also claim Dan Otero off waivers from the Giants:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130326&content_id=43351786&vkey=news_nyy&c_id=nyy

I'm still a bit hyped but not normally as I would be... I guess it's because I haven't seen a season game in a while... The AL east is up for grabs this year instead of being battled by the usual contenders which should add a bit of hype for this season...

Hey it probably been as far back as say 1968 when either or both NY area MLB clubs was not a  top playoff/world series contender at same time.

Hey it probably been as far back as say 1968 when either or both NY area MLB clubs was not a  top playoff/world series contender at same time.

Nah, I think it would be 1991. The Mets had just lost Darryl Strawberry and the Yankees were depleted (while Don Mattingly was injury-prone and George Steinbrenner was under suspension).

This is gonna be a long and hard season to watch if Cashman keeps digging through trash,

2013 Yankees: Worst team since 1992?

Hey the Knicks in very weak NBA Eastern Division should win at least a round in the playoffs and keep attention away from our local baseball clubs not having a great season. And only 4 months until NFL Trainning camps if both teams stink up the joint.

I'll admit that Lyle Overbay from the many times I've seen him play when he was with the Blue Jays, he's a way better defender than Juan Rivera. Or did they pick him up for a 1B platoon until Tex get's back? Same thing can be said with crappy Ben Francisco, hopefully he gets cut since Brennan Boesch is already on the 40 man roster and that the Yanks gave him a major league deal.

This is gonna be a long and hard season to watch if Cashman keeps digging through trash,

2013 Yankees: Worst team since 1992?

More like 1991. 1992's Yanks had more promise thanks to Buck Showalter as manager. Speaking of Showalter, I have a bad feeling that the Orioles will collapse because players will grow tired of Showalter's micromanaging style.

Mighty funny how all these players are coming up injured....

This MLB season's gonna be a joke (I'm talkin league-wide, not just regarding the yankees)...

What up with cashman and these AARP or near ancient players?  And he did not resign Raul and Martin? Wells 5-6 years ago was a good player. Now at best he's a bench player on a good team. Not to mention Jeter's injury and this could be a long season in the Bronx. Saving grace is that the AL East is maybe the weakest it's been in years with no clear favorite. Other than the Sox any of the (4) other teams can win it.

1st question: They've gotten desperate.... I'd laugh at it all if it weren't so embarrassing.....

2nd question: Guess you didn't get the memo....

Both those players are gone - Ibanez back in Seattle & Martin's catching for the lowly Pirates....

I just read that Johan Santana of the Mets is probably out for the season. It appears he has re-injured his shoulder. It seems this baseball season in NY should be called 2013, old and broken down. If there's a Subway Series scheduled for this year it's probably set for a hospital or a rest home. It looks like the Yankees and Mets are taking their cue from the Knicks. Carry on.

Archived