Welcome to the 2013 Major & Minor League Baseball Thread

alejr88

That's all Hafner was on the Indians anyway - a pull hitter w/ pop in his bat..... The older he got, he became a dead pull hitter....

When they signed the guy, I immediately knew what the deal was.... The Vernon Wells pickup though is one I don't really understand; esp. for 13 mil...

Yup.

Yeah, I mean supposedly they say Wells 'might not count against the cap', but i dunno how that works. I still think they will let either Granderson or Cano walk than keeping both of them. I still hold a slim hope they can get out from aroid's contract, but they're gonna have to find some ways of getting under the cap. I mean supposedly if Kuroda and Pettitte both retires with Mo, that's maybe $42-45 mil off the books.

The Metrodome's showing its age, even as a football stadium. Home field advantage, however, is phenomenal for the Vikings -- but the stadium was the absolutely worst thing for the Twins - a baseball stadium isn't supposed to be like that. Obviously the Vikings will get their better stadium, but there's a certain character to the Metrodome that the Trop (down in Tampa) doesn't have.

Regarding Target Field, I'm usually w/ you on MLB thoughts, but gotta disagree with you this time -- I think it was a great move for the Twins. It's a beautiful ballpark, and it's always better than a shared park. Yeah, it'll probably see it's share of snowouts in the future especially in April, but honestly it shouldn't be too big of a problem. It brings its own distinct character to MLB, which is obviously a plus. In addition, when the Twins become relevant again, a playoff game held at Target Field at night under a light snowfall should be a spectacular scene.

Oh no no, don't get me wrong. I fully agree the days of the mixed use stadiums is over. What I meant was in this emergency, the Twins should've gone back and use the Metrodome rather than to reschedule the game at a later time because the Mets are there for that 1 series and it isn't fair for the Mets to make that game up if they could've used the dome. I still don't like the idea of building an open air stadium as opposed to one with a retractable roof or a dome for an area known for snowfall. At the very least games should be played mainly in the middle of the season when it is warmer.

I believe its MLB that does the schedule. I recall either the broadcast, or Terry Collins himself, saying he took a look at how it's done and could not believe how hard it was to come up with it.

I mean it doesn't take a genius to figure out the north is still going to get hit with some snow storms this early in the season or the hurricanes in the summer for the south. Why can't they play all the games in a certain region to maximize the best weather opportunities?  

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup.

Yeah, I mean supposedly they say Wells 'might not count against the cap', but i dunno how that works. I still think they will let either Granderson or Cano walk than keeping both of them. I still hold a slim hope they can get out from aroid's contract, but they're gonna have to find some ways of getting under the cap. I mean supposedly if Kuroda and Pettitte both retires with Mo, that's maybe $42-45 mil off the books.

I'm not exactly sure how Wells' salary might not be inclusive within the cap...

Thing is, I'm looking on the (yankees) team salaries page, and it's showing wells' salary at over 24mil for this year.....

Found something that explains it....

from a NY Daily News article

Although Wells’ seven-year, $126 million contract has been looked at as an albatross for the Angels, the deal could actually be quite beneficial for the Yankees financially. Despite Wells’ bloated salary, his arrival may help the Yankees achieve their goal of staying below the luxury tax threshold next year.

The Angels are sending the Yankees roughly $29 million of the $42 million still owed to Wells, who will earn $21 million in each of the next two seasons.

That means the Yankees will pay Wells $13 million over the next two years, but some fancy accounting could actually make it so the three-time All-Star doesn’t count against the team’s luxury tax payroll figure at all in 2014 — or even better, earn them a credit.

Wells’ seven-year, $126 million contract carries an average annual value of $18 million, which is the figure used by MLB for luxury tax purposes. That figure decreases based on the money being paid by another team, so if the Yankees were to split the $29 million evenly, it would leave them with a $3.5 million tax figure on Wells’ deal in each of the two seasons.

But according to a league source, the Yankees are expected to pay Wells between $10 million and $12 million in 2013, leaving the Angels to pick up the other $9 million-$11 million.

Yup, that was the very article I read. How it works, I dunno, but as long as he isn't the reason they have to give up too many guys to stay below $189mil, then fine.

Jeter rushed too soon playing SS. He should've been DH only till he was 100%. I wouldn't be surprised if the team doesn't give him a contract extension or new contract to stay under the cap. Much as Jeter is the face of the team, it's still a business and the team could probably stand to go younger anyway.

Yup, that was the very article I read. How it works, I dunno, but as long as he isn't the reason they have to give up too many guys to stay below $189mil, then fine.

Jeter rushed too soon playing SS. He should've been DH only till he was 100%. I wouldn't be surprised if the team doesn't give him a contract extension or new contract to stay under the cap. Much as Jeter is the face of the team, it's still a business and the team could probably stand to go younger anyway.

jeter's got a player option next year

• 2 weeks later...

RoI (return on investment) on Hafner vs. LoI (loss on investment) on Swisher..... LMAO.....

I think it's a no-brainer that the Yankees won out on that one.... 

As the guys on MLBTonight stated, Swisher's "lost the will to play".... Whereas Hafner's come out to play.....

Although I knew Hafner was a dead pull hitter, I have to admit I didn't think he'd be nearly as effective as he has been so far this season.....

As for the Boo Jays, you give up a 3-bagger to Hafner & you deserve to lose !

Damn, i figured swisher was going to drop off, but not that bad... But thats what he gets for not showing up when it matters in the playoffs. So far the new guys have done very well and so much for the 'experts' that said this was toronto's division to lose. For the moment, another damn about boston on top despite not having many 'well known 'players.

Damn, i figured swisher was going to drop off, but not that bad... But thats what he gets for not showing up when it matters in the playoffs. So far the new guys have done very well and so much for the 'experts' that said this was toronto's division to lose. For the moment, another damn about boston on top despite not having many 'well known 'players.

I didn't think he'd lose the will to play; that's bordering on Shelley Duncan status right there.....

Well, that's what he gets for saying what he did about Yankee fans....

Toronto's division to lose, yeah right.... damn franchise always finds some way to make it at or around .500 come season's end....

They always have the bats, but never the pitching - It's the same old song with this team, and Buehrle nor Dickey's gonna help their cause.....

Who'd have thought the Red Sox & the Yankees would be frontrunners in the division.....

Yeah when toronto stocked up this year, i was expecting them to be stagnant like Boston before the big trade with the Dodgers. Boston, i am surprised how good they've been. And of course, can't complain with the Yankees, as there was low expectations and it makes the current standing that much more satisfying.

i figured swisher was going since they had to cut payroll somewhere and as serviceable as he is, he isn't worth more than the $13 mil he was offered. It was damon all over again, they played their hand and got burned. Sure they get their money, but they lose the safety of the yankee lineup to protect them.

And the Yankees complete a 4 game sweep against the Toronto Blue Jays! Phil Hughes was very good today, striking out 9 Jays and not allowing the obligatory homer. Brennan Boesch (former Tiger) and Lyle Overbay (former Blue Jay) was the offense today as both hit homers today. Now tomorrow it's time to face the awful Houston Astros, now you can't take baseball for granted, but I expect the Yanks to take 2 out of 3 against these guys. A sweep would be perfect but it's not necessary..let's see what happens.

So far the two times the Yankees have lost to the Astros they've lost big... a combined no-hitter way back when and a 9-1 blowout yesterday...

I figured this was going to happen, what with the Yankees coming from behind four times in a row and the 'stros being swept by the Sawx. Baseball is a very cyclic sport.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Lord, Justin Turner played LF yesterday and Vernon Wells played 3B. Yanks have already played Cano at SS and Cervilli at 2B.

You can't predict defensive positioning??

Much as i hate the NL for not having a dh, that is one of the funniest things that can happen for AL teams in an Nl park with all the shifts.

As for tonight, everyone can relax, Andy bounced back (although the last game with 4 runs wasnt that end of the world if he had better run support). And only fitting Mo comes in to save another of andy's game. That starter-closer combo record just keeps going.... And sorry but vernon wells has been fairly productive and kudos to cashman for that trade. Wells and overbay have been excellent upgrades. Smh at youk. I get he is old, but i didnt think he'd be out this much. Looks like overbay or Tex might have to play 3rd if Youk is still out. That's how doubtful i am about youk coming back to normal.

Much as i hate the NL for not having a dh, that is one of the funniest things that can happen for AL teams in an Nl park with all the shifts.

As for tonight, everyone can relax, Andy bounced back (although the last game with 4 runs wasnt that end of the world if he had better run support). And only fitting Mo comes in to save another of andy's game. That starter-closer combo record just keeps going.... And sorry but vernon wells has been fairly productive and kudos to cashman for that trade. Wells and overbay have been excellent upgrades. Smh at youk. I get he is old, but i didnt think he'd be out this much. Looks like overbay or Tex might have to play 3rd if Youk is still out. That's how doubtful i am about youk coming back to normal.

Or Wells at 3B, lol.

Actually, not a bad idea since the of might get crowded when granderson gets back (though i'd imagine they'd slowly bring him back and could give ichiro some rest from the of). As for wells at 3b, i didn't see much of that, so i dunno if he can make that transition as an everyday thing.

Much as i hate the NL for not having a dh, that is one of the funniest things that can happen for AL teams in an NL park with all the shifts.

I love it when the Red Sox make their annual complaint about losing the DH for Interleague...

Meanwhile the Yankees keep plodding along without a DH, no problem...

Of course it helps that Girardi used to manage in the NL...

And even funnier the yankees abuse the hell out of the dh to give a bunch of different players some time to rest. Even guys like hafner can be used for ph duties off the bench than to be needed as a full time dh like with ortiz.

I wouldn't call that abuse.

- Baseball umpires though act like prima donnas; they want the spotlight to be on THEM just as much (if not more) as it is on the players..... I get that you aren't goin tolerate being shown up by these players, but they take it too far with wanting the spotlight on top of it..... Nobody comes to the games to see y'alls asses.....

- What's this I'm hearing about Mo' telling Joba to shush, and Joba firing back at him saying don't ever tell me to shush.... I mean, if that's how it went down, Joba may have just sealed his fate as a Yankee..... I think they're gonna get rid of him come season's end regardless.... He just might be better off on some other team.....

Archived