Welcome to the 2013 Major & Minor League Baseball Thread

alejr88

Smh. Hughes gave up a grand slam after walking Ortiz intentionally. Funny enough Buck and McCarver were both talking about where Hughes would be better pitching at (Detroit, Citifield, etc). I'd say the Yankees should trade him now if he has any value as he's as good as gone next year either way.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a wind of this, why is Girardi starting Overbay at RF? Overbay has played only 1B in his entire ML career. When was the last time Overbay played the outfield? In 2001, in the minors, at LF. How about RF? In 1999.

OF Wells is there for you, Girardi. You've already had him play 3B and 2B, but you're going to put him in the outfield tonight?

Got a wind of this, why is Girardi starting Overbay at RF? Overbay has played only 1B in his entire ML career. When was the last time Overbay played the outfield? In 2001, in the minors, at LF. How about RF? In 1999.

OF Wells is there for you, Girardi. You've already had him play 3B and 2B, but you're going to put him in the outfield tonight?

That's like when Girardi was playing Wells at 3B a while back...

EDIT: Oops... Didn't read the last part... Still, I find playing Overbay at RF weird...

I'm a bit surprised no one is talking about the two biggest pieces of news from baseball last night.

1. Cuban prospect Yasiel Puig made his Major League Debut last night for the Dodgers and batted leadoff. He went 2-4, but his biggest play came here in the ninth inning. In just one night, he showed nearly all of his tools.

2. The Houston Astros, with a $21.1-million payroll, swept the LA Angels four straight at "LA." They finished a perfect 6-0 on the road trip and won seven of their last eight games (winning three out of four against Colorado). The Angels are a team with a lot of talent, but they just can't play this badly, not with the severely high expectations surrounding them, and not especially to what is a very bad Astros squad.

The Angels' record against the Astros as of today?

3-7!

and more umpires interjecting themselves into the game, first molina now russell martin and the pitt manager

That's a bit of an apples-and-oranges comparison.

The Molina situation is more of an overreaction by the umpire, because Molina lost the grip of his helmet as he slammed it to the ground. But I definitely see where the ump's coming from: Throwing down the helmet immediately after a call is often viewed as showing up in an ump's perspective.

Martin harped about balls and strikes, which you don't do in baseball, and added in an expletive towards umpire Dan Iassonga. The ump had every right there to eject Martin for that.

That's a bit of an apples-and-oranges comparison.

The Molina situation is more of an overreaction by the umpire, because Molina lost the grip of his helmet as he slammed it to the ground. But I definitely see where the ump's coming from: Throwing down the helmet immediately after a call is often viewed as showing up in an ump's perspective.

Martin harped about balls and strikes, which you don't do in baseball, and added in an expletive towards umpire Dan Iassonga. The ump had every right there to eject Martin for that.

about martin, yeah your right and did you see martin get squeezed on the same pitch it gets called for him and then  he gets squeezed whenc catching it and it shows iassonga had a bad game made worse.. 

Well I guess the Mets shouldn't feel too bad about losing to the Marlins in a sweep. Almost everyone expected the astros to be the bottom dwellers of the league. But for the Angels to do that bad is sadder because of all the high profile free agents they have.

I get the case you're tryna make, but I'm still gonna say this....

The Mets organization absolutely should feel very bad about that.... It's a pathetic showing after having swept the Yanks yourself - to lose out in a sweep to a team like the lowly Marlins in the next series.... You don't sweep a team, to then get swept by the worst team in the league in the very next series & not feel too bad about that... If I was their GM, I would be quite irate.... By the Marlins - Who, by anyone with an iota of baseball knowledge/sense, had them bottom dwelling right along with the Asstros..... It wouldn't have been as bad if the mets took a game from the Marlins......

I don't know what the Angels did in their preceeding series b/c I don't follow them at all....

But for them to get swept by the Asstros is infact pretty damn pathetic too on their own right.....

Guest Charles

There's something with Martin and umps -- remember when he was Yankee and argued with an ump about throwing the ball back to the pitcher? That was actually ridiculous (on the umpire's part).

It looks like Martin did act unprofessional in this instant though, so I'm gonna agree with his ejection.

I guess I was thinking proportionally. The Mets are just better than a AAA team while the Marlins and Astros are like AA or low AAA. I still think the Angels getting swept was worse, but alright, Mets should feel bad about that loss (never meant take the loss like nothing, but that they weren't the only one that lost a series in embarrassing fashion).

And speaking of embarrassments, looks like MLB could hit ARod and the others over the biogenesis scam with a big ban. ARod likely to get 100 games. :crosses fingers: I hope it is more ammunition to void his contract ($30 mil can be a huge relief off the books per year).

I guess I was thinking proportionally. The Mets are just better than a AAA team while the Marlins and Astros are like AA or low AAA. I still think the Angels getting swept was worse, but alright, Mets should feel bad about that loss (never meant take the loss like nothing, but that they weren't the only one that lost a series in embarrassing fashion).

And speaking of embarrassments, looks like MLB could hit ARod and the others over the biogenesis scam with a big ban. ARod likely to get 100 games. :crosses fingers: I hope it is more ammunition to void his contract ($30 mil can be a huge relief off the books per year).

You're basically saying, since the angels are better than the mets & that they both got swept by mediocre teams, the angels gettin swept was worse.... It's not that cut & dry to me.... I know you didn't mean take the loss like nothing; and of course the mets weren't the only team that lost in an embarrassing manner....

As for the suspensions that's set to happen... Man, that's all you're gonna hear about today in sports media... Lol....

I sat there & laughed when I saw all those names on that list... A-roid, Braun, N. Cruz, Melky, Colon, etc.... Hell, nobody I know of looks at it like this, but like I told a couple colleagues - Today's players (in general) are gonna pay for all those HR's guys like McGwire & Sosa & company were juicing out of the ballparks back in the late 90's & early 2000's....

The repercussions of garnering all that revenue (by way of extra fans coming to the games & what not) the league got from so-called "chicks digging the longball" is gonna come back full circle on today's players.... I can almost guarantee you're gonna hear of more (star) players added to that list too....

The Yankee fan base has always been one of "what have you done for me lately"..... I've pretty much written A-Roid off since like last season anyway.... I personally don't care if the guy ever steps on the field as a Yankee again.... AFAIC, he's dead weight....

Well given the stars the Angels have compared to the Mets, that's been my point about how much worse, to me, it seems with the Angels, that is all.

Aroid fell back to his 2004 (after game 4) to 2007 form either 2010 or 2011. At this point if they can void his contract and use his $30 mil to keep a few more players around, then that would be a big bonus.

another umpire screws it up... randazzo's got an attitude.  

http://deadspin.com/tony-randazzo-ejected-mike-aviles-from-a-game-that-was-511364830

That's around the moment I caught the game while channel surfing (after the yankees did nothing in their half of the 8th.... decided to watch the top of the 9th only b/c of Mo')..... that first pitch that was called a strike (foul tip) wasn't tipped by aviles.... I saw it live on TV & said to myself he didn't tip it - dude did get screwed on that.... Forget who it was at the time, but one of the play-by-play guys said something to the effect of, the Indians was having problems w/ his strike zone all night....

smh @ throwing out aviles at the end of the game.... Like I've said on here before (and offline as well), MLB umpires want the spotlight on them... I personally think they get off on tossing players & managers out of games.....

That's around the moment I caught the game while channel surfing (after the yankees did nothing in their half of the 8th.... decided to watch the top of the 9th only b/c of Mo')..... that first pitch that was called a strike (foul tip) wasn't tipped by aviles.... I saw it live on TV & said to myself he didn't tip it - dude did get screwed on that.... Forget who it was at the time, but one of the play-by-play guys said something to the effect of, the Indians was having problems w/ his strike zone all night....

smh @ throwing out aviles at the end of the game.... Like I've said on here before (and offline as well), MLB umpires want the spotlight on them... I personally think they get off on tossing players & managers out of games.....

I'll be honest, I would toss him too if he runs right by me like that after the game finishes. For you to come back at me a second time, wagging your finger like that is a no-no for me, so get out of here.

Certainly though Randazzo missed the call, but I think the ejection was warranted just based on what Aviles did after the fact.

I'll be honest, I would toss him too if he runs right by me like that after the game finishes. For you to come back at me a second time, wagging your finger like that is a no-no for me, so get out of here.

Certainly though Randazzo missed the call, but I think the ejection was warranted just based on what Aviles did after the fact.

The game is already over, which is what makes it senseless.....

Personally, I would've commenced cursing his (Aviles') ass out..... If it's during the game, yeah you toss him out....

The game is already over, which is what makes it senseless.....

Personally, I would've commenced cursing his (Aviles') ass out..... If it's during the game, yeah you toss him out....

See, the thing is, if you throw him out, not only can you curse his ass out, but he also gets fined!

...not like it's gonna make any difference though (I've heard that lower levels have one game suspensions for post-game ejections, but not MLB). And Randazzo did start shooting his lip off at Francona as he was walking off the field.

See, the thing is, if you throw him out, not only can you curse his ass out, but he also gets fined!

...not like it's gonna make any difference though (I've heard that lower levels have one game suspensions for post-game ejections, but not MLB). And Randazzo did start shooting his lip off at Francona as he was walking off the field.

Hold on...

A player gets fined if he gets thrown out of a game that already ended..... That's news to me....

Archived