Your average MPH while on foot (walking & running)

Turbo19

While co-related to the thread The longest distance you have traveled on foot, I'd prefer to keep the two discussions independent from each other.

So knowing that those who reside in urban areas walk much more and at a faster pace than their suburban and rural counterparts, I'm interested in viewing some responses.

My average MPH while walking: 6-9 MPH

My average MPH while running: 19-24 MPH

Edited by Turbo19

You can run at 24 mph.  :huh:  This is more than the fastest world record of Usain Bolt for 100 metre race.

Even by taking the same number in km/h, these speeds would be quite fast but it would be more realistic.

Are you sure that you didn't confuse mph with km/h ?

Edited by Minato ku

You can run at 24 mph.  :huh:  This is more than the fastest world record of Usain Bolt for 100 metre race.

Even by taking the same number in km/h, these speeds would be quite fast but it would be more realistic.

Are you sure that you didn't confuse mph with km/h ?

Positive. I only use KMH when directing my sentence to those from outside the U.S.

To clarify, I can't run constantly at that speed, so those 24 miles could be done more realistically in 75-90 minutes, but I could probably do around 24 miles per hour for 5 miles straight at the max.

They don't call me Turbo for nothing.

While co-related to the thread The longest distance you have traveled on foot, I'd prefer to keep the two discussions independent from each other.

So knowing that those who reside in urban areas walk much more and at a faster pace than their suburban and rural counterparts, I'm interested in viewing some responses.

My average MPH while walking: 6-9 MPH

My average MPH while running: 19-24 MPH

I have no doubt that you move fast, but there's no way you're walking at 9 mph nor any way that you're running at 24mph. It's physically impossible to walk (heels to ground before toes) above 7-8mph and unless you're an Olympic runner, you're sure not moving at 24mph. I generally walk about 5ish mph, run around 9-10mph.

Yeah, his numbers aint making sense; there isn't a human alive that can run some 24 miles/hour for 5 miles straight....

------------------------------------

- Anyway, at top speed, I can walk a city block (the #'d "streets" not the #'d "avenues" in manhattan) consistently in 40 seconds for at least a mile.... So after doing the math, that's about 4.5mph (which sounds about right because I've walked 20 city blocks in slightly less than 15 mins).... I can guarantee you don't walk close to twice as fast as I do on average; You aint walking no mile in 6-10 minutes (which is what 6-9 mph suggests) on average..... At about 6-7mph, a human is said to be jogging, not walking.....

- I don't run all that often anymore, so I don't know how fast I can run (in mph).... But I'm sure as hell ain't claiming anywhere in the 20's....

Whatever's slightly faster than average, that's where I'm about.... 

I have no doubt that you move fast, but there's no way you're walking at 9 mph nor any way that you're running at 24mph. It's physically impossible to walk (heels to ground before toes) above 7-8mph and unless you're an Olympic runner, you're sure not moving at 24mph. I generally walk about 5ish mph, run around 9-10mph.

Really? 10 MPH seems to be a fast walking speed to me.

You have some major issues with your calculations.

Running 24mph means that you can run 20 city blocks in 2.5 minutes.

You can run 24mph for 5 miles straight? 

So you're saying you can run from Houston Street to 100th Street in 12.5 minutes?

I must be very confident, cocky, or both because while I wouldn't say within 12.5 minutes, I can with full confidence say no more than 15 minutes. Though that does go against my estimate.

Yeah, his numbers aint making sense; there isn't a human alive that can run some 24 miles/hour for 5 miles straight....

------------------------------------

- Anyway, at top speed, I can walk a city block (the #'d "streets" not the #'d "avenues" in manhattan) consistently in 40 seconds for at least a mile.... So after doing the math, that's about 4.5mph (which sounds about right because I've walked 20 city blocks in slightly less than 15 mins).... I can guarantee you don't walk close to twice as fast as I do on average; You aint walking no mile in 6-10 minutes (which is what 6-9 mph suggests) on average..... At about 6-7mph, a human is said to be jogging, not walking.....

- I don't run all that often anymore, so I don't know how fast I can run (in mph).... But I'm sure as hell ain't claiming anywhere in the 20's....

Whatever's slightly faster than average, that's where I'm about.... 

If anyone ever trailed a vehicle going around 20-25 MPH, with effort it wouldn't be impossible to do.

I'm actually suprised at the responses. I would have thought anywhere around 7-9 MPH would be walking average and 20-25 mph would be running average.

I'll take everyone's response into mind and likely re-evaluate my speed again since it seems many believe it's unfathomable.

If anyone ever trailed a vehicle going around 20-25 MPH, with effort it wouldn't be impossible to do.

Running for 5 miles straight though? Come on......

Yeah, you should re-evaluate your speed or whatever, because right now it's coming off like you're grossly exaggerating how fast you are, to the point where it's not making sense.....

Running for 5 miles straight though? Come on......

Yeah, you should re-evaluate your speed or whatever, because right now it's coming off like you're grossly exaggerating how fast you are, to the point where it's not making sense.....

Sure, no problem.

I'm actually suprised at the responses. I would have thought anywhere around 7-9 MPH would be walking average and 20-25 mph would be running average.

I'll take everyone's response into mind and likely re-evaluate my speed again since it seems many believe it's unfathomable.

I don't mean to sound like a dick here, but it's not that we don't believe you so much as that's not humanly possible. No human being in the history of mankind has run at 25mph, not to mention, if that were AVERAGE with a normal distribution you'd have people running 40-50mph. Dunno about you, but I rarely get passed by joggers on the highway! My guess is you're a quick runner, probably hitting around 12-13mph, which is extremely fast. Not 25.

I can do 0.5 miles in about 9 - 10 minutes depending on my mood.

Lol, 'depending on mood!' So angry VG8 hauls ass outta the gate, but calm VG8 takes a leisurely stroll to Whole Foods. I see it.

Edited by MHV9218

Lol, 'depending on mood!' So angry VG8 hauls ass outta the gate, but calm VG8 takes a leisurely stroll to Whole Foods. I see it.

I have a hard time taking leisurely strolls because I always give myself next to no time to get to the bus stop unless I'm going to the bars in the city, then I'm out of the door and ready to get the express bus. :lol:   And what's even scarier is how quickly I can get up the steep hills here in Riverdale.  I remember the first time I went up there I was out of breath and this is with all of the hills I would walk up and down on Staten Island... Now I can run up stairs, up hills and barely be out of breath.  

You can't walk at 6-9MPH... most people RUN at that speed.....

Running at 19-24 MPH? Yea damn right.... if you ran at that speed youwould be on the US Olympics track team. You're telling me that you can run faster than Redskins QB RGIII? Doubt it.

Go on a treadmill, set the speed to 9MPH and lets see you try to walk at that speed.....

Anyways, I walk at around 3-4MPH... which is the human average. On the treadmill I jog at 6-7 MPH and do sprints at 9-15 MPH

Edited by YankeesPwnMets

I don't mean to sound like a dick here, but it's not that we don't believe you so much as that's not humanly possible. No human being in the history of mankind has run at 25mph, not to mention, if that were AVERAGE with a normal distribution you'd have people running 40-50mph. Dunno about you, but I rarely get passed by joggers on the highway! My guess is you're a quick runner, probably hitting around 12-13mph, which is extremely fast. Not 25.

Sure, I do understand what you're saying.

Lol, this made my afternoon.

You can't walk at 6-9MPH... most people RUN at that speed.....

Running at 19-24 MPH? Yea damn right.... if you ran at that speed youwould be on the US Olympics track team. You're telling me that you can run faster than Redskins QB RGIII? Doubt it.

Go on a treadmill, set the speed to 9MPH and lets see you try to walk at that speed.....

Anyways, I walk at around 3-4MPH... which is the human average. On the treadmill I jog at 6-7 MPH and do sprints at 9-15 MPH

Lol, I get what you're saying but it's not as difficult as people make it out to be. And 9 MPH walking on a treadmill is very much do able.

Like I said, I'll re look at my speeds because at this point even I'm second guessing myself.

"In very general terms, the normal walking speed of a human being is 3 to 4 miles an hour"

http://www.yogawiz.com/blog/walking/normal-walking-speed.html

I just went to the gym today and walking at 9MPH.... I don't think so. Everyone around me was going 6-8 MPH and were jogging....

I remember an American Dad episode where Stan & Roger are in the car, and a junkie is chasing them, and he catches up to the car, but passes it and runs into a store and robs it. It would be nice if I could find it.

In any case, I've chased after buses for about a half mile where the bus was on a relatively open road in the past, so that's probably what, like 10 mph? That's probably all I can really do (I mean, I had my backpack on, so maybe 12 mph). But now for medical reasons, I can't floor it like I used to, so the top speed I can run is probably about 8 mph (which is a heavy jog for me).

I'm still waiting to see someone run at 25mph for 5 miles straight.....

Lol, I get what you're saying but it's not as difficult as people make it out to be. And 9 MPH walking on a treadmill is very much do able.

Like I said, I'll re look at my speeds because at this point even I'm second guessing myself.

It's your gauge at what constitutes 1 mile per hour, is the problem here..... Nobody is walking at 9mph on a treadmill....

You can probably reach 9mph walking fast on a forward moving conveyor (for us NYC folks, like the one at court sq b/w the (G) & the (E)(M).... anyone of you ever been on it?) but that's at the aid of the conveyor, not your natural ability.... You couldn't even "power walk" at some 9mph.....

I remember an American Dad episode where Stan & Roger are in the car, and a junkie is chasing them, and he catches up to the car, but passes it and runs into a store and robs it. It would be nice if I could find it.

In any case, I've chased after buses for about a half mile where the bus was on a relatively open road in the past, so that's probably what, like 10 mph? That's probably all I can really do (I mean, I had my backpack on, so maybe 12 mph). But now for medical reasons, I can't floor it like I used to, so the top speed I can run is probably about 8 mph (which is a heavy jog for me).

12mph w/ a backpack on? Boy the army would've wanted to snatch you up quick with that ability....

I can't run fast for shit when I have a plastic bag in my hand w/ light contents in it, let alone a backpack.... Too worried that I'ma end up dropping it; it's like I focus on not dropping w/e I have on me, moreso than running for w/e the reason..... I don't do much running anymore anyway; have a history of pulling hammies (either leg)... It's like I over-exert myself.... Not a pleasant feeling.

12mph w/ a backpack on? Boy the army would've wanted to snatch you up quick with that ability....

I can't run fast for shit when I have a plastic bag in my hand w/ light contents in it, let alone a backpack.... Too worried that I'ma end up dropping it; it's like I focus on not dropping w/e I have on me, moreso than running for w/e the reason..... I don't do much running anymore anyway; have a history of pulling hammies (either leg)... It's like I over-exert myself.... Not a pleasant feeling.

LOL. Well, I have mentioned a bunch of times all the practice I've had running for buses. So if you make a habit of running say, 6-7 mph on a fairly regular basis, you can probably push yourself to about 10 mph when you need to. (I figure the backpack probably slowed me down a little, so it might've been like 12 if I didn't have it). But I was panting like anything when I finally got on, so that was basically my limit. (Also, I forget whether either time, I slowed down after the sprint, since you're supposed to let your heart rate get back to normal).

But yeah, back in the earlier years of HS, people would always be cracking Forrest Gump & Speedy Gonzales jokes when they saw me.