"Argo" wins best Oscar for best film(2012)as Iran dimisses 1979 US Hostage crisis

Shortline Bus

iran26n-1-web.jpg

"Iran's state TV dismissed the Oscar-winning film "Argo" on Monday as an "advertisement for the CIA" and some Iranians called the award a political statement by America for its unflattering portrayal of the aftermath of the 1979 Islamic Revolution.

And while "Argo" has not appeared in any Iranian cinema, there has been no shortage of buzz from those who saw the movie through bootleg DVD networks.

The discussions over "Argo" in Iran have often pried open a generational divide: Iranians who took part in the 1979 Islamic Revolution picking apart the portrayals of Tehran during the time, and Iranians too young to recall the events getting a different view of the upheavals."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/iran-scoffs-oscar-success-argo-article-1.1272646#ixzz2LveUaPZ3

So anyone seen this film yet? I was alive in 1979 but way too young to understand/remember the hostage crisis after the Isamic revolution.

While on the topic of the Oscars: (lifting my post from the random thoughts thread)

The Oscars, well only reason I did watch was for Seth McFarlane and the so called Bond Tribute (I guess Connery and Brosnan refused to go and that canned the appearance of all the former Bonds and they had a clips show with the Goldfinger singer). The winners were almost all predictable. Best picture, song, actor, actress, supporting actress were all no surprises.

The main surprises I guess was director as I thought it would've gone to Spielberg. Nolan, Whedon, Sam Mendes were all snubbed. Hobbit, Avengers and Dark Knight rises were all snubbed* (best picture). So :flips bird: FU elitist snobs.

*And before anyone says they don't nominate fantasy films, Lord of the Rings Return of the King won it all, so it's not like there's a reason not to include such films. And Avatar almost won if not for the Hurt Locker (which hardly anyone saw).

While on the topic of the Oscars: (lifting my post from the random thoughts thread)

The Oscars, well only reason I did watch was for Seth McFarlane and the so called Bond Tribute (I guess Connery and Brosnan refused to go and that canned the appearance of all the former Bonds and they had a clips show with the Goldfinger singer). The winners were almost all predictable. Best picture, song, actor, actress, supporting actress were all no surprises.

The main surprises I guess was director as I thought it would've gone to Spielberg. Nolan, Whedon, Sam Mendes were all snubbed. Hobbit, Avengers and Dark Knight rises were all snubbed* (best picture). So :flips bird: FU elitist snobs.

*And before anyone says they don't nominate fantasy films, Lord of the Rings Return of the King won it all, so it's not like there's a reason not to include such films. And Avatar almost won if not for the Hurt Locker (which hardly anyone saw).

I do agree to a point Concourse that Oscars are "eliltist' and don't cater to the regular audience. With that said, the Oscars other than the Super Bowl is among the top rated "specials" in US Television. (also global audience of hundred of millions of people as well) Another big factor on why its so popular is how a large number of the viewership is woman. For instance is to see how the celebrities are dressed in a fashion style. Especially the female celebrities.

What did you guys think of Seth McFarlane? I thought he was relatively funny. THe part with William Shatner was a nice surprise

I thought he did a decent job. I dunno why people didn't like him, as he was there to draw the younger viewers (you can't win over everyone). The musicals were a great touch, I watched a special he did on epix singing the Sinatra type stuff, very talented guy. Hell of a lot better than no show Franco.

Of course if they really wanted to draw the younger viewers, they would've put DKR, avengers, Hobbit, Skyfall in the running for best picture nod as red meat (even though they had no shot) and keep everyone happy. But no, they chose to fill the rest of the list with movies no one heard of like Amore? Did they get rid of the foreign films list now? What a farce going back to Slumdog millionare winning best picture instead of best foreign film.

The main cast of the Avengers presenting some categories was meh. It was really more Downey Jr and Jackson doing the most with Renner getting a throwaway line dab at Jackson's history.

I thought he did a decent job. I dunno why people didn't like him, as he was there to draw the younger viewers (you can't win over everyone). The musicals were a great touch, I watched a special he did on epix singing the Sinatra type stuff, very talented guy. Hell of a lot better than no show Franco.

No Argument there

Of course if they really wanted to draw the younger viewers, they would've put DKR, avengers, Hobbit, Skyfall in the running for best picture nod as red meat (even though they had no shot) and keep everyone happy. But no, they chose to fill the rest of the list with movies no one heard of like Amore? Did they get rid of the foreign films list now? What a farce going back to Slumdog millionare winning best picture instead of best foreign film.

The main cast of the Avengers presenting some categories was meh. It was really more Downey Jr and Jackson doing the most with Renner getting a throwaway line dab at Jackson's history.

I though the Avengers cast did a pretty bad job up there, to be honest. 

Very true on your suggestion concourse. It would get more "younger" and "males" to watch. Despite fact that about 60-70% (according to Nielsen)of the Oscar audience is woman that suggestion would get more younger men to watch the show. Again a big factor for why people watch that show is not to see the winners and nomiees but also the clothes wore by the celebs at the show.

Hell E! has a special that focuses on the fashion and the post Oscar parties. So proves my point.

Archived