Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Shortline Bus

The First Terror Bombing attack at World Trade Center (1993) 20 years later

wtc-attack.jpg

"It was the World Trade Center attack almost no one talks about anymore.

Twenty years ago this Tuesday, a 1,500-pound car bomb exploded in an underground parking garage at the twin towers, killing six people and injuring more than 1,000.

At the time, it was the most devastating terrorist attack in the U.S. — but the shock and horror would be completely eclipsed by the death and devastation of Sept. 11, 2001.

Yet Edward Smith cannot forget that cold and snowy February day, which will be remembered on Tuesday with a service at the 9/11 Memorial. He has his own way of marking the passage of 20 years.

“My son would have been starting college,” Smith, now 50, said.

Smith’s wife, Monica, was 35 and seven months pregnant with the boy they’d planned on naming Eddie when the bomb exploded near her Port Authority operations office at 12:18 p.m.

Edward Smith was in Boston for work and heard a report that there was a fire at the twin towers.

“I called their emergency line, and nobody picked up the phone. I called the police substation, and they didn’t pick up the phone,” he said"

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-remembers-93-attack-article-1.1272270#ixzz2LvgOn46l

Does anyone remember where they were 20 years ago on that horrible day? On that day in 1993, was on way home from my 1st spring break vaction at college in upstate ny and while driving to my then "home" in Brooklyn at time, w/ 2 other classmates glued to the news reports on the car radio.

• Upvote 1

I was just a little kid, just 4 years old at Pre-K. Didn't know about this at all. Thank you Shortline for the post.

It's like the time a little plane flew into the Empire State Building. It was a relatively small event that has been mostly forgotten. 

I was just a little kid, just 4 years old at Pre-K. Didn't know about this at all. Thank you Shortline for the post.

Same here about not remembering much about that attack. Time flies.

It's like the time a little plane flew into the Empire State Building. It was a relatively small event that has been mostly forgotten. 

Yup, would never have known about that if not for the History or whatever documentary type specials about the ESB. Actually it was a small bomber plane, but yeah thankfully the damage wasn't too bad.

• Upvote 1

So does many new Yorkers and people across America as a whole. Big reason of it was the fairly low death/injury count.

Plus I was 7 going on 8 that year

Same here about not remembering much about that attack. Time flies.

Yup, would never have known about that if not for the History or whatever documentary type specials about the ESB. Actually it was a small bomber plane, but yeah thankfully the damage wasn't too bad.

i first heard the news when i got in my car in freeport.

the empire state building crash killed 14 and injured 26                                                                                                                                        

http://history1900s.about.com/od/1940s/a/empirecrash.htm

joe

I was about 9 months old when the '93 attacks happened... I don't remember it much at all... Although I clearly remember the attacks in '01 though... How time really does fly...

I wasn't alive when the '93 bombings happened, but I remember September 11th like everyone else. I think everyone remembers that day, what we felt, what we saw, how we heard the news.

I only heard of this attack after 9/11, I was too young to remember the 1993 bombing as I was only 2 years old at this time.

The other is point is that I am french and I live in France, while it surely made news back then, it was soon outmatched by other attacks.

By exemple I do remember the bombing in Paris subway in 1995 and 1996, but it is only by looking the archive audiovisual site few years ago that I seen that there wasn't one terrorist attack in 1995 but several.

Interesting, up until this point I honestly thought that the first major terror attack was the '95 Oklahoma City bombings.

You guys do have to remember this was their first attempt to bring down the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center. They did bring them down on 9/11. It was in their minds for quite a long time.

So does many new Yorkers and people across America as a whole. Big reason of it was the fairly low death/injury count.

That's what I waas thinking. It was not a major significant event because of the low casulaties. There's other factors that played a part as well. The media was not exactly in tune with the terrorist groups at that time and neither was the American public. Part of the reason was because of the White House Press Commitee. The Soviet/Afgan war was at it's end with the grand results (Soviet economic collapse, the War in Kosovo and other conflicts in other now former Soviet satelite states, and the tearing down of the Berlin Wall).

The White House Press Commitee (who informs the American news media networks on the events occuring around the world) was'nt at the time exactly owning up to the CIA's involvement in arming the Afgan militias with arms such as stinger missles to down the Soviet Mi-24 Attack helicopers that was at first reraking havoc accross the West Asian territory.

The agency did other things too such as up the opium trade to deliberately get Soviet soldiers addicted to heroin as a espinoge tatic, learning from the US soldier's horrific experiences in Vietnam. It's all in the college history books as geniune fact.

I prepared the MTA's insurance claim for that attack and my boss's girlfriend's car was blown up in the garage. Interestingly enough, her insurance company treated her car as being "stolen".

I prepared the MTA's insurance claim for that attack and my boss's girlfriend's car was blown up in the garage. Interestingly enough, her insurance company treated her car as being "stolen".

Looks like you may need a consultation from a lawyer to see what direction you may need to take and what other options you may have at your disposal to rectify that red herring with the insurance claim if they continue with the nonsense. That's what I would do. If your lawyer thinks you may have a good case you can even take this to Civil Court, but I would only recommend this as a last resort. The process can be lengthy and time consuming to say the least.