Homeless People Sleeping in the subway?

Kendell

Even though I don't like it, the MTA is really, unintentionally, helping them more than the city itself. If they weren't on the subway, they'd be on the streets. Like in DC, I was shocked by the amounts of homeless on the streets. But that's because the subway there isn't a 24/7 operation.

Section 1050.7:

Disorderly Conduct: 

No person in any facility or conveyance shall:

3. sleep or doze where such activity may be hazardous to such person or to others or may interfere with the operation of the Authority's transit system or the comfort of its passengers;

So yeah. Sleeping on the floor of the train would probably be a violation. Sleeping on an empty end of a platform would probably not be. It's kinda up to the discretion of the officer if the person sleeping is "Interfering" as defined in the rule above. 

Also, not to co-opt the job of the mods, but this should probably be in random thoughts and not its own thread. 

If it were truly illegal they wouldn't be occupying the Food Concourse downstairs there in Grand Central.  They should have more of those people that go around trying to get them food and shelter (they're apparently (MTA) personnel and they wear yellow coats) because having them all over the trains and stations like that is really not healthy for them, nor the riding public.  I mean seriously, there is one that I've seen over time by Park Avenue covered in dirty newspapers and rags and you can smell him half way down the block and I am not joking when I say that either, and this is in the dead of winter when I've seen him.

If it were truly illegal they wouldn't be occupying the Food Concourse downstairs there in Grand Central.  They should have more of those people that go around trying to get them food and shelter (they're apparently (MTA) personnel and they wear yellow coats) because having them all over the trains and stations like that is really not healthy for them, nor the riding public.  I mean seriously, there is one that I've seen over time by Park Avenue covered in dirty newspapers and rags and you can smell him half way down the block and I am not joking when I say that either, and this is in the dead of winter when I've seen him.

GCT closes at 2AM (except for the subway of course), so I'm sure MTAPD sweeps down the place after it shuts down. Problem is there are tunnels and unused tracks there where they live that are said to be so dangerous MTAPD doesn't even bother going down there for their own safety.

GCT closes at 2AM (except for the subway of course), so I'm sure MTAPD sweeps down the place after it shuts down. Problem is there are tunnels and unused tracks there where they live that are said to be so dangerous MTAPD doesn't even bother going down there for their own safety.

Please.... Those bums hang out down there so much that sometimes they can out number the food crowds.  I don't think you would want to have your food next to some person that is digging in the garbage.  Happened years ago when I was eating down there.  This guy just comes near us and starts digging in the garbage while we're there eating.  I stopped having lunch down there as a result.  It's esp. unnerving when you've seen people just finish their food and throw it in there with their snot tissues and whatever else and then they go and jump in the garbage searching for food.

Archived