Conductor Schoolcar

Q33toLaGuardia

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talking about incidents Sunday a C/R on a R62A # 2 train opened up the doors two door panals out of the station. T/O told C/R all doors were in but he lied. Both crew members are out of service.

They both deserve what they get then...

I've been reading these forums for months now: since I first found out that my boyfriend had taken this after the notice of "probable employment" came in. It's so weird to think that the same people who I've been reading for months are now in class with him.

Congrats to all of you, and good luck!

Got our schedules for the intire Schoolcar. Went over sbustance abuse and studied MTA Basic rules. Getting a quiz on it first thing tomorrow morning. So Ive been studying it end by end just about lol we also met on of the Superintendents of the school as well.

We get out equipment and fitted for our uniforms tomorrow too.

Best thing you can do hearing about these incidents is to learn from them. That's why new C/Rs . . if you don't know the T/O that you're working with, you may need to do more than take the we're good from them, that means by either observing from your position (if visible) or by walking to a point where you can see, with certainty, that all doors are abreast of the platform. That is serious business and don't let anyone scare you into opening if you're not sure. Passengers will exit your train from any car, any door panel, at any time of day regardless of where the stairs are located.

Got our schedules for the intire Schoolcar. Went over sbustance abuse and studied MTA Basic rules. Getting a quiz on it first thing tomorrow morning. So Ive been studying it end by end just about lol we also met on of the Superintendents of the school as well.

We get out equipment and fitted for our uniforms tomorrow too.

Who are your TSSes?

Who are your TSSes?

I had Morales mainly and sometimes LaBlanca this week. I go out on the field with Goding and Smith the next couple of weeks.

Had a quiz on Basic MTA Rules and Benefits as well. Then watched videos on the duties of a conductor. Also got most of our equipment and was measured for our uniforms as well. Monday we get our radios and shoes i think. Hello, weekend!!!!! :D

Talking about incidents Sunday a C/R on a R62A # 2 train opened up the doors two door panals out of the station. T/O told C/R all doors were in but he lied. Both crew members are out of service.

They both deserve what they get then...

Holy cow that's NUTS! The C/R must have forgotten to open the door and the T/O told the conductor the doors were closed and pulled away? If it's even possible. That's the only conceivable scenario, otherwise why would a conductor open the doors on a moving train? makes no sense unless someone is looking to purposely get him/herself along with partner fired. There's gotta be better details.

Holy cow that's NUTS! The C/R must have forgotten to open the door and the T/O told the conductor the doors were closed and pulled away? If it's even possible. That's the only conceivable scenario, otherwise why would a conductor open the doors on a moving train? makes no sense unless someone is looking to purposely get him/herself along with partner fired. There's gotta be better details.

Did you read what happend correctly?

Did you read what happend correctly?

I read the post a few times. I'm dum, I can't figure it out exactly. Plus Pelham Bay Dave is tricky to figure out sometimes there's no arguing.

I meant to say the CR must have forgotten to close the doors.

I read the post a few times. I'm dum, I can't figure it out exactly. Plus Pelham Bay Dave is tricky to figure out sometimes there's no arguing.

I meant to say the CR must have forgotten to close the doors.

Here let me help..

TO Overran the station(all of the train doors wasnt in the station) 

CR was not on his Conductors Board properly...

TO Lied told the CR all doors was in the station when they wasn't...

CR Opened Doors trainline with doors outside station..

Someone seen it banged it in Crew Out of Service..

They go for two three or four for one persons mistakes down here...

Here let me help..

TO Overran the station(all of the train doors wasnt in the station) 

CR was not on his Conductors Board properly...

TO Lied told the CR all doors was in the station when they wasn't...

CR Opened Doors trainline with doors outside station..

Someone seen it banged it in Crew Out of Service..

They go for two three or four for one persons mistakes down here...

that is plenty of enlightenment now. Thank you, maybe you should start somewhat of an incident thread, that would be interesting.

that is plenty of enlightenment now. Thank you, maybe you should start somewhat of an incident thread, that would be interesting.

Nah..

Sometimes things like that are best left for those who work down here..

Once in a while somebody will drop a tidbit...

FaceBook Groups rock...

Yeah learn from this experience because sooner or later it WILL happen to you. Train stops at the station, the C/R board is nearly out of view. You've stopped at that station 1000 times before so you know how tight or loose it is (i.e. 46th St on the (7) you can be off the board by an entire car and still be completely on the platform). If the T/O tells you "I'm on the platform" and something seems fishy about it, announce on the PA "doors will be opening in a moment, the crew needs to investigate a safety hazard on the platform", key yourself off the train and check with your own eyes that the first door is lined up with the platform. If it is, then great, go back to your position and open up, no harm no foul. However, if the first car is in the tunnel (anything past the red flippy door), then you better start keying open doors starting with the 2nd car with one hand on the way back to your position, and get on the radio with your other hand.....the most important thing as a C/R (pretty much THE most important thing as far as management is concerned) is to NEVER EVER pop the doors until you are completely sure they will open up onto the platform. My seniority in my class went up two slots since I started due to some of my former classmates rushing.

Bah, I'm done with those FB groups. Nothing but trouble in there....and this group ain't much better :P

Yeah learn from this experience because sooner or later it WILL happen to you. Train stops at the station, the C/R board is nearly out of view. You've stopped at that station 1000 times before so you know how tight or loose it is (i.e. 46th St on the (7) you can be off the board by an entire car and still be completely on the platform). If the T/O tells you "I'm on the platform" and something seems fishy about it, announce on the PA "doors will be opening in a moment, the crew needs to investigate a safety hazard on the platform", key yourself off the train and check with your own eyes that the first door is lined up with the platform. If it is, then great, go back to your position and open up, no harm no foul. However, if the first car is in the tunnel (anything past the red flippy door), then you better start keying open doors starting with the 2nd car with one hand on the way back to your position, and get on the radio with your other hand.....the most important thing as a C/R (pretty much THE most important thing as far as management is concerned) is to NEVER EVER pop the doors until you are completely sure they will open up onto the platform. My seniority in my class went up two slots since I started due to some of my former classmates rushing.

Bah, I'm done with those FB groups. Nothing but trouble in there....and this group ain't much better :P

This is EXACTLY what alot of us in Schoolcar are worried about doing. At the end of the day I would do the exact same thing. With any job, MTA or not, most new people get intimidated by people with more seniority. But I gotta remember im on Probation which means im on thin ice from the get go. I would rather triple check myself and get talked about by the T/O than open the doors and lose my job......

The Park place incident C/R banged herself in. C/R seen she was off the board and pulled the cord. Then contacted Control Center. The T/O stated he was in the station. RCC tells C/R to check the front section but C/R decided to open the doors. She then walks to the front with doors open and told on herself no witnesses.

One thing you'll notice when you go through C/R Schoolcar is that it seems like their #1 priority is trying to teach C/R's to bang in their partners or themselves the instant something unusual goes wrong, and scare them into thinking that they'll be instantly terminated if they don't. In the real world, not only is banging in an incident NOT always in your best interest (remember that EVERYTHING you say on the radio gets recorded and logged and can be used against you), but using discretion until you know the whole situation often results in a shorter delay, since once you put it out there, you aren't going to be given permission to proceed until RCC is satisfied that they have the entire picture.

But on the flipside, remember that you never know who else is riding your train. Fellow employees, supervision, upper management, or nosy customers can ruin your day if you try to pull something sneaky.

I have a question that is...slightly connected to school car. What are the hubs in B-division? I ask because once school car is over, living in the Bronx will be a little difficult when one has to work on the letter lines. I'm trying to find an apartment near one that is NOT in Brooklyn.

I figure this is kind of related to school car since I'm sure its a predicament many are going through.

Bedford Park & Concourse Yard are the only B-DIv reporting locations in the Bronx (steps away from each other). In Manhattan there's 207 Station, 207 Yard, 168 St, 145 St, 125 St (flagging), 59 St (platform and GO jobs only), 8 Av-14 St, W4 (platform/GO jobs), 2 Av (GO jobs, very rarely), World Trade Center, City Hall, Chambers St (flagging), Broad St. Queens has Jamaica Center, 179, Jamaica Yard, 71, Metropolitan, Astoria, Queens Plaza (flagging), Far Rockaway, Rockaway Park, Lefferts, and temporarily at Howard Beach but that won't be a regular reporting location anymore after this summer. Most of the B-Div jobs are in Brooklyn, including most of the yards, but you have plenty of options outside of Brooklyn.

We became mole people walking thru the tunnels. Learned how to guide passengers in the tunnels to emergency exits. Then got a tour of Pitkin Yards. Went over signals and learned how to board a train from the tracks. We also checked out how a R32 runs. Going to CI Yards tomorrow.

Some advice for those of you reading this thread for an upcoming class.  When you do the tunnel walk at Euclid, do not touch the walls!  Your gloves will get dirty.

Hes not lying lol

Went to Coney Island Yards today. Checked out the yard towers there then did a structure walk from there to Ave X (your fear of heights will be tested mentally lol). Went over more signals from there. After lunch we went to check out the R68s and learned how to deal with door problems on that specific train.

Bedford Park & Concourse Yard are the only B-DIv reporting locations in the Bronx (steps away from each other). In Manhattan there's 207 Station, 207 Yard, 168 St, 145 St, 125 St (flagging), 59 St (platform and GO jobs only), 8 Av-14 St, W4 (platform/GO jobs), 2 Av (GO jobs, very rarely), World Trade Center, City Hall, Chambers St (flagging), Broad St. Queens has Jamaica Center, 179, Jamaica Yard, 71, Metropolitan, Astoria, Queens Plaza (flagging), Far Rockaway, Rockaway Park, Lefferts, and temporarily at Howard Beach but that won't be a regular reporting location anymore after this summer. Most of the B-Div jobs are in Brooklyn, including most of the yards, but you have plenty of options outside of Brooklyn.

Thank you!

Archived