Conductor Schoolcar

Q33toLaGuardia

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I was wondering if someone could answer these two questions about conductor school car, I did a search but found different answers or none.

What is the pay for for schoolcar? same rate as starting conductor or lower wage cause it's training?

What days and hours are schoolcar? Is it set like M-F 8am-4pm or does it vary with each person?

I work evenings and just wanted to know what I should do with my old job when the time comes, thanks

Hi, I was wondering if someone could answer these two questions about conductor school car, I did a search but found different answers or none.

What is the pay for for schoolcar? same rate as starting conductor or lower wage cause it's training?

What days and hours are schoolcar? Is it set like M-F 8am-4pm or does it vary with each person?

I work evenings and just wanted to know what I should do with my old job when the time comes, thanks

You get paid your full starting salary for school car. School car is 8 hours and its Monday to Friday. What time of day varies.

Quit your old job, Transit dosen't like you having 2 jobs at the same time since its a safety sensitive title.

So busy and tired last 2 days i forgot to talk about Friday. Just about checked out the dispatcher's offices at Stilwell Av station. Then headed over to Stillwell Yard and practiced on the R68s with opening and closing doors and preparing a train for departure from a starting station.

Yesterday TSS Taylor came in to sub in for one of our current TSS on vacation for the next week. Practice more on the R68 doors operations.

Today we had a joyride down the B line practicing door operations. We all need more practice lol. Also learned about 3rd rail jumpers and visited Concourse Yard.

Was anyone at 207 A line Wednesday morn?

Yep all 3 schoolcars were there in that small break room lol

Wednesday we went to 207th yards and practiced handswitching and using a 3rd rail jumper. Also practiced flagging for a train operator in the yard as well.

Yesterday we worked on door problems on a R32 and a R46. Also got a pop quiz on signals which I aced lol

Seems like everyone does 3rd rail jumpers and other than head car operation at 207 now.  I did those at CI yard, and handswitching at ENY.  Congrats on passing the signals quiz.

Thanks bro!!!

Today we were at Canarsie Yards. Practiced on the R143s there on prepping a train for service.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

First off, I'm sorry guys!! I had to focus on the upcoming tests I had to take (MidTerm, Yard Practical, Final and Road Practical).

Just about from where i left off is all the same. Every day we went to a Yard and practiced making announcements, door operations and learning how to cut out a door. Had some joyrides to practice down the road as well. 

Scored a perfect score on my Midterm. Yay!!!

Yard Practical was simple: preparing to leave out a terminal (saftey checks, etc), leaving out of a terminal, and cutting out a door. 

Road posting was fun, learned the real truth about how MTA works down here if you know what I mean.

Final i did alright. Scored a 90 %

Road Practical was simple too: making a perfect stop/announcements and what to do when you overrun or stop short out the marker. 

So case in point: I SURVIVED!!!! Been out since May 2nd and I love it!!!!

Belated congratulations!  Did the road practical also consist of being zoned up in both sections?

Thanks!!! And no it didnt. Just like I said before. It was simple once you get over being nervous lol

Btw how do you get the badge under your avatar? I noticed members that work for Transit get it. How can I get that badge as well?

Thanks!!! And no it didnt. Just like I said before. It was simple once you get over being nervous lol

Btw how do you get the badge under your avatar? I noticed members that work for Transit get it. How can I get that badge as well?

You'll have to talk to Harry... He'll verify and if everything checks out, you'll get one!

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone give me a sense of how many tests there are, how far apart they are and a tiny summary of what they on ?

just curious you dont have to give me a full detailed rundown if you dont want 

also I heard that one of the test if you don get 100 you fail, is that true? 

Can someone give me a sense of how many tests there are, how far apart they are and a tiny summary of what they on ?

just curious you dont have to give me a full detailed rundown if you dont want 

also I heard that one of the test if you don get 100 you fail, is that true?

The test the you MUST score 100% or you fail is the signal exam which applies to Train Operators. Get one wrong and you fail out the course.

Oh ok not conductors then, thank you for that info

Conductors will have:

-Quizzes

-A yard practical (door operations, troubleshooting a door problem, isolating a car)

-A midterm exam

-A final exam

-A road practical (door operations with simulated station stops on an empty train, troubleshooting a "double zone")

Quizzes and exams are 80%+ to pass.

Practicals are pass/fail.

Archived