Next Conductor Exam

Curtispaul81

Hey, I've always wanted to be a conductor and work my way up to being able to actually operate the train. I've been reading around and noticed a few things. One of the things i've noticed is that some people are saying for the next exam they'll be a prerequisite of having two years in customer service. I've noticed that the exams are given around every five years and the last test was given around 2008 / 2009 if this turns out to be true and i dont have the two years , but one is there anyway I can use my schooling to replace a year of experience? I've been in college since 2011 and this is second year here. Also what can I expect the test to be on? I've noticed people say its basic reading comprehensive stuff and other people have said it also have things on regarding a conductor. Thanks to anyone that is able to help me out! I want to be ready for this when the day comes. This is really my dream job.

Hey, I've always wanted to be a conductor and work my way up to being able to actually operate the train. I've been reading around and noticed a few things. One of the things i've noticed is that some people are saying for the next exam they'll be a prerequisite of having two years in customer service. I've noticed that the exams are given around every five years and the last test was given around 2008 / 2009 if this turns out to be true and i dont have the two years , but one is there anyway I can use my schooling to replace a year of experience? I've been in college since 2011 and this is second year here. Also what can I expect the test to be on? I've noticed people say its basic reading comprehensive stuff and other people have said it also have things on regarding a conductor. Thanks to anyone that is able to help me out! I want to be ready for this when the day comes. This is really my dream job.

Unfortunately school can't be accepted in the place of customer service experience. I'd suggest getting a job dealing in customer service now if indeed they do start requiring 2 years customer service. However T/O requires no customer service experience at the moment and college can take the place of work experience. But you still need at least 2 years full-time work experience.

T/O isn't really a customer-service heavy title the way that C/R is. One of the most important parts of the job is being able to deal with and direct customers in a professional manner, which is why that pre-req is being added to the next batch of hirees. If the rumors are to believed, there also won't be another open competitive T/O exam, and the job will be going back to promotional-only, since the TA wants all of their T/O's to experience working here first hand before getting put in front of the controls. They're apparently also going back to their old policy of having freshly-graduated T/O's work only yard jobs for the first couple of months before being put into revenue service.

They're apparently also going back to their old policy of having freshly-graduated T/O's work only yard jobs for the first couple of months before being put into revenue service.

Damn shame that Policy wasnt in effect when i came out, we had some SHAKY T/O's in my group... 

Shaky....

Trial by fire for most of us some made it some didn't....

T/O isn't really a customer-service heavy title the way that C/R is. One of the most important parts of the job is being able to deal with and direct customers in a professional manner, which is why that pre-req is being added to the next batch of hirees. If the rumors are to believed, there also won't be another open competitive T/O exam, and the job will be going back to promotional-only, since the TA wants all of their T/O's to experience working here first hand before getting put in front of the controls. They're apparently also going back to their old policy of having freshly-graduated T/O's work only yard jobs for the first couple of months before being put into revenue service.

hey sorry about that i was on a mobile device and forgot how to respond that way. T/O really isn't the issue for me because if there still was OCE i would not be able to qualify because I dont have five years of full time job experience. I feel like the next C/R exam will be coming up soon and I don't think i'll have two years of customer service under my belt. It'll probably just be somewhat around a year. If that happens can you give me any information on what should I do? Yeah i'm still young only nineteen years old, but this job just fascinates me and it's something I really want to do. I wish i was 18 with a diploma when the exam was given in 2008 

hey sorry about that i was on a mobile device and forgot how to respond that way. T/O really isn't the issue for me because if there still was OCE i would not be able to qualify because I dont have five years of full time job experience. I feel like the next C/R exam will be coming up soon and I don't think i'll have two years of customer service under my belt. It'll probably just be somewhat around a year. If that happens can you give me any information on what should I do? Yeah i'm still young only nineteen years old, but this job just fascinates me and it's something I really want to do. I wish i was 18 with a diploma when the exam was given in 2008 

At the time of hiring Transit will require you to have the two years customer service experience.  By the time the new exam comes around and the time it takes them to activate the new list and the waiting period until they actually call you up, you should have more than a couple of years in customer service if you start soon. The only problem I see with all this for a guy as young as you  is that you'll have to purposely endure a mostly miserable experience in customer service, not that it will be any better if and when you get to Transit but at least you will be properly compensated in my opinion. You got plenty of time, it's cool that you are fascinated by it now and not waiting until you are middle aged or something and going "gee I think I'll be a conductor" without ever giving a dam about it previously.

Just outta curiosity, will the test really require the prior experience at the time of your appointment (hiring process), or by the time the application period for the test ends.  I know for the previous C/R exam, you just needed the high school diploma by the time of your appointment, but from what I've seen, jobs requiring a pre-requisite (T/O, Station Agent ect...) require you have all of your qualifications by the time applying for the test ends. It's probably all too early to tell at all, but still...

At the time of hiring Transit will require you to have the two years customer service experience.  By the time the new exam comes around and the time it takes them to activate the new list and the waiting period until they actually call you up, you should have more than a couple of years in customer service if you start soon. The only problem I see with all this for a guy as young as you  is that you'll have to purposely endure a mostly miserable experience in customer service, not that it will be any better if and when you get to Transit but at least you will be properly compensated in my opinion. You got plenty of time, it's cool that you are fascinated by it now and not waiting until you are middle aged or something and going "gee I think I'll be a conductor" without ever giving a dam about it previously.

ahh thanks ! I have a job interview tomorrow hopefully all goess well

Archived