Should a "U.N" Branch be added to M34 +SBS+

Lennyj17

Should the MTA add a Rush Hour only UN Branch to the M34 Trunk? I will call it M34C 

I find there are a lot of Penn Station commuters working in Murray Hill in the vicinity of the UN. My Idea would be to  replace 2 current M34 trips and add an additional 2 Buses to create the M34C

It would run only during Rush Hours and it would mimic M34 service from the Javis to 1 AV, then north on 1 AV to 43 or 45 st West to 2 AV or Lex South back to 34 St. 

Should the MTA add a Rush Hour only UN Branch to the M34 Trunk? I will call it M34C 

I find there are a lot of Penn Station commuters working in Murray Hill in the vicinity of the UN. My Idea would be to  replace 2 current M34 trips and add an additional 2 Buses to create the M34C

It would run only during Rush Hours and it would mimic M34 service from the Javis to 1 AV, then north on 1 AV to 43 or 45 st West to 2 AV or Lex South back to 34 St.

HI MY NAME IS ISAAC I THINK IT A GREAT IDEAL BUT IT SHOULD BE THREE BUSES .1 FROM PENN STATION TO UN (M34C), THEN 2. FROM JAVIS TO FDR (M34), THEN 3. FROM 9AVE 42ST TO  WATERSIDE( M34A )

34th Street has more demand tho VG8. See it, Penn Station, Madison Square Garden, Herald Square, and many more locations are along 34th.

Oh please... 42nd street has just as many things to see... Times Square, Theatre District, Grand Central, Bryant Park, Chrysler Building and the list goes on and on.  

M104 and M34C serves to different base of commuters.....M104 are PABT people....M34C would be for Penn to UN commuters. 

You're correct, but I think it would be a huge slap in the face to start up a new service to the U.N. without restoring any of the old services.  If they've got money for a new M34C branch, then they should have money for the M104 restoration and the M50 restoration back to the U.N. for that matter.

First off, any rush hour only bus in that area will cause huge confusion for tourists and others, especially if there's only 2 runs.  They'll see the bus stop pole and see "United Nations" or something next to the route number and be waiting for a bus that never comes.  Even if it says "Rush hour only" that may be a foreign concept for whatever country or small town they're coming from.

34th Street already has enough buses.  If anything make an M42A that uses 7th/8th Avenues to 42nd Street.  I'm completely against this idea, but I feel that the M104 definitely needs to be restored to the UN.

No, I think it would be just best to send the M104 back to the UN

It you wish to consider linking 34 St to the UN, why extend trips on the M34?

It you wish to consider linking 34 St to the UN, why extend trips on the M34?

Ok - let me be clear - there would be 3 branches to 34th Street During Rush Hours...M34 and M34A would operate as the currently function to day. M34C would be the 3rd Branch. 

I would have service during rush scheduled every 2-3 mins between 9 AV and 2 AV where all 3 lines would have common routing. To do this I suggested replacing 2 buses that would be M34 runs and make them M34C's while adding 2-3 additional buses to the M34C schedule meaning there would be a total 4-5 buses on M34C to keep consistency.

The reason I suggest keeping M34 even though its only difference from M34C's route would be a block (eastbound) is because of traffic and to fill in the gaps, not all of M34's frequency needs to go to the U.N. and there would be the possibility of huge gaps and bunching with buses needing to go uptown and come back down. 

Currently there is no direct Murray Hill service from Penn (again there seems to be a lot of commuters between these 2 points during rush hour)... 

This has nothing to do with the M104....Regardless whether the M104 goes back to the UN, there will still be demand for direct Penn - UN service during the Rush Hours. Tourist very seldom uses buses, and the area where the tourist would ride would be covered by all 3 lines, so they couldn't careless of which branch comes first. 

Ok - let me be clear - there would be 3 branches to 34th Street During Rush Hours...M34 and M34A would operate as the currently function to day. M34C would be the 3rd Branch. 

I would have service during rush scheduled every 2-3 mins between 9 AV and 2 AV where all 3 lines would have common routing. To do this I suggested replacing 2 buses that would be M34 runs and make them M34C's while adding 2-3 additional buses to the M34C schedule meaning there would be a total 4-5 buses on M34C to keep consistency.

The reason I suggest keeping M34 even though its only difference from M34C's route would be a block (eastbound) is because of traffic and to fill in the gaps, not all of M34's frequency needs to go to the U.N. and there would be the possibility of huge gaps and bunching with buses needing to go uptown and come back down. 

Currently there is no direct Murray Hill service from Penn (again there seems to be a lot of commuters between these 2 points during rush hour)... 

This has nothing to do with the M104....Regardless whether the M104 goes back to the UN, there will still be demand for direct Penn - UN service during the Rush Hours. Tourist very seldom uses buses, and the area where the tourist would ride would be covered by all 3 lines, so they couldn't careless of which branch comes first. 

Um, the UN is a very big tourist destination, and if it's rush hour only then we're going to have a bunch of stranded tourists at 11AM on a Saturday at 34th St, waiting for the M34C that'll never come. Also, a lot of tourists take buses, especially to get to areas like the Met and the Museum of Natural History.

An M34 is probably going to be slower than taking whatever train at 34th St to the (7) and hoofing it from Grand Central. It's also not a very hard distance to cover by cab, nor is it too far to walk.

34th Street has more demand tho VG8. See it, Penn Station, Madison Square Garden, Herald Square, and many more locations are along 34th.

The "demand" is only between Madison & 7th Avenues....42nd by far has more demand. SBS is only on the M34 because the "demand" is mostly tourists and shoppers. The M42 has more of a demand than the M34 IMO....

And no, there shouldn't be an M34 SBS branch to the U.N. What's needed is an M104 restoration to the U.N. The M42 gets slammed just when arriving to 2nd Avenue...

Archived