My Speech Presentation at LIBRU Public Forum

My name is Yuki Endo and I live in Jackson Heights, Queens. I represnet many transit advocates such as Straphangers Campaign, Long Island Bus Riders Union, Tri-State Campaign, Riders Rebellion and Riders Alliance.

I depend on all NICE Bus routes, MTA Subway/Buses and Bee-Line Buses.

Today, 12:15 n20 Hicksville #1764 out from Flushing was 20 minutes and suppose to arrived Broadway Mall at 13:41, but arrived 78 minutes late due to rador not working, rear door broken, however this male Chiense B?O told me ramps and announcements were working.

As he was picking up his passenger at Flushing, first stop, this male B/O only was excellent as he hold up Chinese translated sign on his clipboard that read both English/Chinese, "We do not drop off in Queens. Pick Up Only."

Lots of new drivers are seriously problem and taking time even when they're late.

Lots of passengers loved senior drivers from MTA Long Island Bus days.

Majority of NICE riders use both NICE, MTA Subway/Buses and Bee-Line Buses.

We should organize to protst outside Mangano's office to asked him to put more funding for the bus.

In response to NICE fare hike on MTA Fare Hike, I contacted Roosevelt Island Tramway, Atlantic Express X23/X24 (Private Franchies contracted by NYCDOT) and they followed MTA's Full Fare Hike.

Lots of NICE Riders told me NICE Buses are TERRIBLE SERVICE.

Bee-Line buses in Westchester County present Fare Fact Sheet in PDF Format, so NICE Bus should do same.

My friend at Manhassett Gas Station by n20/n23 bus stop also told me many gas station employees depends on bus.

Today at Broadway Mall, I noticed NICE/Nassau Dept took down bus stop sign.

When I saw city news media, handed out LIBRU Public Forum flier and ask them to give to Long Island division.

$1 MTA Surcharge for buying new MetroCard at all MetroCard Vending Machines, Ticket Vending Machines, PATH/Airtrain MetroCard Vending Machines will confuse lots of people.

MetroCard Vending Machine need to be install at all major shopping malls like Broadway Mall, Roosevelt Field Mall, etc.

Thank you.

There were lots of riders and they had same story like PinePower, like gang issue on bus, overcrowded bus, especially new drivers and they all want County Executive Mangano out from office.

Because 12:15 n20 Hicksville was late, they missed 13:00 n27 Glen Clove that left Greenvale at 13:26 most likely.

It was crush loaded all the way from Flushing to Greenvale and this is why n21 need to be back. Glen Clove riders are sick off waiting between n20 and n27 and riders refused to take train because trains expensive.

Its funny because your precious Bus Riders Union has no power to do any of this. All you people do is complain and that solves nothing. You're going to have to wait til Mango is out for any bit of change to happen. Good luck.

Well I did attend the meeting tonight, just so I could vent. I wasnt gonna go but NICE did a good job pissing me off this week, from the n20 that was running 10 minutes early in Greenvale this past Sunday that I missed, to the 20 minutes late crush loaded n27 I took to Glen Cove earlier today. There were alot of speakers sharing the same complaints, overcrowded buses, service cuts on heavy routes, inexperienced bus drivers,etc. But when I was up there I said that "we need to vote that ** County Executive out in November". Mangano just doesn't care. He only cares about rich people and drivers. The guy who really should be County Executive is Carrie Solanges, he was the only legislator that attended the meeting and seemed concerned about riders complaints. I was also not the only one to bring up safety issues, regarding the gang grafitti on the buses. I hope that my suggestion for undercover NCPD on the buses is considered. Or at least have cameras in the back of the bus where these scum do their dirty work. And Yuki I agree, the n21 needs to restored, at least on weekdays because the n20s are packed and so are the n27s. Thats the logic of clueless Kumar, who messed with routes that carry loads while leaving most of Massapequa's bus service intact. Thats no accident. Another woman said ridership is dropping as people who used to have a halfway decent system are now stranded or forced to ride crush loaded buses. But I agree these meetings will accomplish nothing until the jerk sitting in Mineola is voted out. He knows that ridership is dropping and that some of those riders are now forced to take cabs while he gets kickbacks from his cabbie friends. And it's no coincidence that Glen Cove bore the brunt of the cuts, since that's where Suozzi is from. LIBRU could be more effective if they arranged these meetings at transit hubs, or more importantly, at Nassau Community College, since alot of students there use the bus. But Mangano has to go. He should be a cab driver since he loves cabs so much. :rolleyes:

I can appreciate Yuki's efforts over the years but I don't see this stupid union going anywhere.

I hate to say you're right. But they just aren't doing a good job getting mainstream riders involved. Of course this isn't helped by the ever dwindling amount of them, fleeing the system faster than the Titanic. It would have been nice (no pun intended) had there been an organization similar to strappies, or the LIRR Commuters Council formed. But the ridership is in too weak of a position. The ones that would get involved and are educated enough to understand whats going on, have left the system for the LIRR, cabs, or even driving. The safety issues are also driving away riders, one woman who spoke said its now hard to buy Metrocard anywhere here and avoids HTC because of the safety issues. Its sort of like watching a community decline, much like Detroit, as whatever wealth in the system flees and the gangbangers start taking over the buses. One guy said 3 buses in a row didn't show up on the n40/41 recently. Sounds like DDOT! We just dont have the demographics to advocate for quality bus service. Riders who have standards realize the poor state of the buses and choose other means, even if it costs more, leaving just the poor, disabled, and criminals. It's a vicious cycle that Mangano knows, he can drive away riders, have less need for service, and cut until Nassau pays nothing for the service. Good thing there's a train station where I live.  :(

Its funny because your precious Bus Riders Union has no power to do any of this. All you people do is complain and that solves nothing. You're going to have to wait til Mango is out for any bit of change to happen. Good luck.

True the $1 surcharge is nothing just don't throw away your metrocards and keep them and refill them till they expire.

I hate to say you're right. But they just aren't doing a good job getting mainstream riders involved. Of course this isn't helped by the ever dwindling amount of them, fleeing the system faster than the Titanic. It would have been nice (no pun intended) had there been an organization similar to strappies, or the LIRR Commuters Council formed. But the ridership is in too weak of a position. The ones that would get involved and are educated enough to understand whats going on, have left the system for the LIRR, cabs, or even driving. The safety issues are also driving away riders, one woman who spoke said its now hard to buy Metrocard anywhere here and avoids HTC because of the safety issues. Its sort of like watching a community decline, much like Detroit, as whatever wealth in the system flees and the gangbangers start taking over the buses. One guy said 3 buses in a row didn't show up on the n40/41 recently. Sounds like DDOT! We just dont have the demographics to advocate for quality bus service. Riders who have standards realize the poor state of the buses and choose other means, even if it costs more, leaving just the poor, disabled, and criminals. It's a vicious cycle that Mangano knows, he can drive away riders, have less need for service, and cut until Nassau pays nothing for the service. Good thing there's a train station where I live.  :(

you know what let the LIRR commuters council get involved if the LIBRU can team up with this council they would get more done. Sorry but there is NO WAY IN HELL NICE CAN BE DDOT BAD nobody can suck like that!!!!!

Last I checked NICE will use the extra money to upgrade service in the future or by next pick.

These upgrades probably won't be anything special. NICE is just building suspense.

There's a reason I don't see the point of these union meetings. The last NICE meeting I went to in August, one of the reps of LIBRU went up to speak and the committee didn't want to hear more complaining, so they told her to sit down. And she actually did! This union has no power, NICE and Mango have it all. They can choose to agree with the people on some things, or they can go their own way and be perfectly fine under their contract with the county. Granted, with Pinepower and Yuki, as they ride NICE everyday for hours, the complaining has to go somewhere. I think we should all write a book.

Actually when they did ADA Report Card, NICE has installed Braille information at Jamaica Bus Terminal.

Did that braille information tell riders that their bus was late, wasn't going to show up, going to have it's service cut, or stop the graffiti on the buses? Something like that requires little effort by NICE, so they do it to shut people up.

Did that braille information tell riders that their bus was late, wasn't going to show up, going to have it's service cut, or stop the graffiti on the buses? Something like that requires little effort by NICE, so they do it to shut people up.

I meant for bus route because there was no braille before.

There was one NICE Official from Public Relation showed up.

I meant for bus route because there was no braille before.

There was one NICE Official from Public Relation showed up.

So people did fine without it if it wasn't there for years under Long Island Bus. NICE is humoring all you who just complain.

Also lots of riders who showed up at meeting told complaint about helping new drivers with direction. New drivers need to be well trained.

There were two Nassau County Legislatures Dave Denenberg and Carrie Solages, along with Roger Clayman, executive director of LI Federation of Labor, Eric Alexander, executive director of Vision Long Island, Cindy from TWU Local 252, Local 338 as usual, etc

It's not just only LIBRU. Person who was sitting at front was in order from left:

Vision LI: Eric Alexander

LI Federation of Labor: Roger Clayman

Ana H. Girabo: Long Island Bus Riders Union

Charlene Obeneaur: LI Jobs with Justice

Nassau County Legislature Dave  Denenberg

Nassau County Legislature Carrie Solages

I see this "Mangano doesn't care" mantra all the time. He hired NICE to run the bus system, he's not going to micromanage them just because your bus was late or early. It's not his job nor his duty to schedule your bus route, get a grip.

Even if he was out, what do you expect a different County exec to do? The only thing Suozzi did was raise taxes none of which actually went to the bus system.

I see this "Mangano doesn't care" mantra all the time. He hired NICE to run the bus system, he's not going to micromanage them just because your bus was late or early. It's not his job nor his duty to schedule your bus route, get a grip.

Even if he was out, what do you expect a different County exec to do? The only thing Suozzi did was raise taxes none of which actually went to the bus system.

Oh no, this all goes back to politics, because everything always does. The Republicans favor the rich and thats one thing thats killing this country in Washington and the bus system here in Nassau. I believe a Democrat would have funded the bus system more. When Suozzi was around, the (MTA) was still around and he paid them the money for the bus system.

Oh no, this all goes back to politics, because everything always does. The Republicans favor the rich and thats one thing thats killing this country in Washington and the bus system here in Nassau. I believe a Democrat would have funded the bus system more. When Suozzi was around, the (MTA) was still around and he paid them the money for the bus system.

Well Suozzi was shorting the (MTA) too, the state had to bail us out several times. He's no angel, but he never took it to the level Mangano did, cutting the subsidy by over 75% to "spite" the (MTA) and choosing a politically connected company to run the buses. The buses always got shortchanged, even when Democrats were in charge, cant forget the amount of times Judy Jacobs and Tom Suozzi brushed us off and they're both Democrats. Mangano just took the arrogance to a new level that made Suozzi look good.  :(

Well Suozzi was shorting the (MTA) too, the state had to bail us out several times. He's no angel, but he never took it to the level Mangano did, cutting the subsidy by over 75% to "spite" the (MTA) and choosing a politically connected company to run the buses. The buses always got shortchanged, even when Democrats were in charge, cant forget the amount of times Judy Jacobs and Tom Suozzi brushed us off and they're both Democrats. Mangano just took the arrogance to a new level that made Suozzi look good.  :(

Well, the state has and probably will again in the future, bail out Nassau County because their budget sucks in general. I wouldn't blame that part on the County Executive because its been a problem for years.

I think the main issue with Nassau county and the rest of the state are the school districts. With the amount of money currently collected via property tax, if the ratio was less skewed toward the school district side (about 70%!), the county would be fine. But since the school district beast keeps asking for more money,everyone comes out with pitch forks whenever the county needs more.

Suozzi was also part of the NY State Commission on Property Tax Relief and they came up with a 4% tax cap. That's not tax Relief.

I think the main issue with Nassau county and the rest of the state are the school districts. With the amount of money currently collected via property tax, if the ratio was less skewed toward the school district side (about 70%!), the county would be fine. But since the school district beast keeps asking for more money,everyone comes out with pitch forks whenever the county needs more.

Suozzi was also part of the NY State Commission on Property Tax Relief and they came up with a 4% tax cap. That's not tax Relief.

Just look at the faculty parking lots and see all the Range Rovers and other monster SUV's parked there. Those ppl definately aren't taking the bus! :blink:

Well, the problem is not really that they replace (MTA) with NICE. The problem is the money. I mean, NICE is doing a fine job in general even though they can't please everyone. But if Mangano would subsidise them at least a little more then there would be even less problems with NICE. It's more down to money then to which operator runs it. Either of them did/still does a fine job in their own way but with more money everything would run better.

What Mangano at a minimum should do is fix those damn traffic lights. Set it to priority for buses when needed and that'll up the on-time performance of NICE by a lot.

Actually when they did ADA Report Card, NICE has installed Braille information at Jamaica Bus Terminal.

A news report states:   Mike Setzer, chief executive officer of NICE, says that Braille signs

have “already been ordered for the Hempstead Transit center and we

expect they will be installed in the next several weeks.”

He said that bus terminals at Hicksville, Jamaica (165th Street) and

Roosevelt Field—all found lacking by the bus riders union—are not under

his company’s control but “we will make our best efforts to approach

these property owners to have Braille signs place there.”"

http://archive.longislandpress.com/2012/07/27/report-blasts-nice-bus-service-for-disabled-riders/

So the "union's" report card didn't really do it...  NICE had "already ordered" braille signs for their properties and that hicksville and 165th St terminal were not NICE's property, in other others not nice's fault.

_______

$1 MTA Surcharge for buying new MetroCard at all MetroCard Vending Machines, Ticket Vending Machines, PATH/Airtrain MetroCard Vending Machines will confuse lots of people.

How is that NICE's problem/fault in any way? 

MetroCard Vending Machine need to be install at all major shopping malls like Broadway Mall, Roosevelt Field Mall, etc.

Thank you.

It would be great if there were a metrocard machine at places like Roosevelt Field and other heavily NICE traffic area's...  But NICE has no control over metrocard machines, who is going to pay for this?  Back in the perfect days under MTA LIB the MTA didn't bother with this so why are you complaining NICE isn't doing something they have no power over, that the MTA didn't even do when they had the power to do it?

We should organize to protst outside Mangano's office to asked him to put more funding for the bus.

I'd love to know what you and your union propose Nassau County cuts to get the extra funding you want.  I'd also love to see the leader of the bus riders union standing in a room full of the people from whatever program you propose they cut funding from and explain to them why you their funding is being cut.

From my research on Suozzi, he was a very "MTA guy" the Deputy under Suozzi was Helena Williams, former President of MTA LIB (now the president of the LIRR).  Suozzi recieved campaign donations from a wealthy business man that was on the MTA board (and yes, Veolia has contributed to the current campaign of Mangano).  However, if you google it Suozzi seems to have gotten very frustrated with MTA LIB near the end of his term, even reducing the County's $$$ share that they contributed to the MTA LIB budget.  Suozzi cut much from  Nassau County's budget, tightening the belt to reduce the County's debt and close the huge budget gap (he got heat from a lot of people even County voters who felt pinched, leading to him being voted out).  Was the cuts to MTA LIB just Suozzi tightening his belt, or an indication of a bloated greedy system (MTA LIB) is Mangano the problem, or did Suozzi's change of heart shed light on the fact that MTA LIB was the problem?

This is an interesting article I found from 2009, it shows Suozzi's big picture bus service in the County and in the region.  He wanted MTA LIB and possibly Suffolk transit to be part of a regionl transit system!  Could this be what Democrats and his "MTA buddy's" have in mind?  This would be great for his MTA pals because that would open up more high paid upper office jobs, AND would put pressure on the State to fund the regional system and take the County off the hook for complaints of them not funding "their system" fairly.

Interesting stuff.

http://libn.com/politbureau/2009/05/18/suozzi-mta-bailout-burns-nassau/

Well I did attend the meeting tonight, just so I could vent. I wasnt gonna go but NICE did a good job pissing me off this week, from the n20 that was running 10 minutes early in Greenvale this past Sunday that I missed, to the 20 minutes late crush loaded n27 I took to Glen Cove earlier today. There were alot of speakers sharing the same complaints,

People only show up to these things to complain, when was the last time you called your cell phone company to tell them they are doing they job you pay for?

I can appreciate Yuki's efforts over the years but I don't see this stupid union going anywhere.

So people did fine without it if it wasn't there for years under Long Island Bus. NICE is humoring all you who just complain.

I also appreciate Yuki's efforts and his pasion to want to bring change and want to give others a better ride.  But I have to go with Brett on this one!  Who runs this union?  No one  is going to take a group seriously whose sole purpose seems to be to show up to these meetings just to bitch about whatever they can find to bitch about.  Who is going to take them serious!?!  Who runs this group?  They need a real leader who knows a thing or two and a person or two ;) .  Stop bitching at these meetings and appoint a leader who can sit down with the head of NICE and actually talk to them, not bitch and complain at a meeting!

Well, the problem is not really that they replace (MTA) with NICE. The problem is the money. I mean, NICE is doing a fine job in general even though they can't please everyone. But if Mangano would subsidise them at least a little more then there would be even less problems with NICE. It's more down to money then to which operator runs it. Either of them did/still does a fine job in their own way but with more money everything would run better. What Mangano at a minimum should do is fix those damn traffic lights. Set it to priority for buses when needed and that'll up the on-time performance of NICE by a lot.

Amen!

I also appreciate Yuki's efforts and his pasion to want to bring change and want to give others a better ride.  But I have to go with Brett on this one!  Who runs this union?  No one  is going to take a group seriously whose sole purpose seems to be to show up to these meetings just to bitch about whatever they can find to bitch about.  Who is going to take them serious!?!  Who runs this group?  They need a real leader who knows a thing or two and a person or two ;) .  Stop bitching at these meetings and appoint a leader who can sit down with the head of NICE and actually talk to them, not bitch and complain at a meeting!

Rather than quote your entire post, I have to say I agree with what you said. The (MTA) was trying to consolidate Long Island Bus into its Regional Bus Operations to make it officially part of the (MTA) then Nassau County cut the contract when they were so close. At one point, there were rumors that the (MTA) was planning to bid on Suffolk Transit to operate there too. I don't think the rumors were true, but it makes sense to have the (MTA) run the three systems in the area (NYC, Nassau, Suffolk).

Also, here's the Union information and who runs it:

http://www.longislandbusridersunion.org/p/about-us.html

Rather than quote your entire post, I have to say I agree with what you said. The (MTA) was trying to consolidate Long Island Bus into its Regional Bus Operations to make it officially part of the (MTA) then Nassau County cut the contract when they were so close. At one point, there were rumors that the (MTA) was planning to bid on Suffolk Transit to operate there too. I don't think the rumors were true, but it makes sense to have the (MTA) run the three systems in the area (NYC, Nassau, Suffolk).

Yes I remember the rumors when I was riding the S1 tro work every day.  It's funny because it was usually it was the drivers telling people lol. I remember one afternoon/evening (right when the new Orions were coming into service) a pax asked what type of bus he was driving, the b/o responded it was an Orion.  The pax asked if the b/o "liked it?"  The b/o replied "It's too early to tell bc I'm not used to it, but that's what we need to order to merge with LIB and the MTA, LIB has all Orions so that's what we started buying so mechanics could work on the same type of bus, (started talking about buying parts in bulk etc. etc and then started talking about the MTA LIB "deal)"

Who knows, maybe that's why suffolk decided on Orion, I'll never know, but I find the rumor mill fascinating.

If Suozzi gets voted in this could very well happen.  Although I don't think it should be under the MTA, I think Cuomo should start a new transit agency (at least to run nassu/suffolk) I have nothing against MTA but I feel it has been proven Veolia could do more per dollar than the MTA could.  There is something seriously wrong when a for profit company can do more while making a profit than the MTA could.  Right out of the gate (running just about the same service as MTA LIB) NICE/Veolia reduced the operating cost from $136 an hour (under MTA LIB) to $106 and hour.  Everyone bitches about nice but given a properly funded system Veolia has proven they could gove more to the riders than the MTA and still make a profit. 

I'm not saying Veolia should run both Nassau and suffolk, but if they fell under a regional transit system you could make a serious argument that Cuomo should appoint a new transit agency to run the Nassau/Suffolk.  I know this will get heat because everyone wants to be part of the MTA system, but it has been proven NOT putting Nassau/Suffolk under the MTA would give the rider more, if the MTA ran Nassau/Suffolk I think a lot of the money would stay up top in the "main" offices and not do anything for the riders.

At one point, there were rumors that the (MTA)

was planning to bid on Suffolk Transit to operate there too. I don't

think the rumors were true, but it makes sense to have the (MTA) run the three systems in the area (NYC, Nassau, Suffolk).

If you google it, you can see evidence Veolia bid on the Suffolk bus contract (or at least parts of it) but lost out to the current operators.  I remember reading an article from newsday that Suffolk County is "watching" nice bus and is starting to think they could get more from a partnership Nassau has with Veolia, the articke said Suffolk will continue to "watch" and see what happens..  So, who knows , I'm excited to

see what happens in 5 years! 

BTW, when is the new contract with the current Suffolk Transit operators up?

just curious if LIB was integrated into MTA bus would operating costs for LIB drop?

Archived