Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
nostalgia

Open the Doors

I've noticed a strange situation at terminal stations. The train pulls in, the operator dumps the air, and you wait ..and wait for the doors open. BUT at stations along the line, the doors burst open the moment the train stops. Is there something special about opening the doors at the last station?

• Upvote 1

I don't know, but at 59th Street on the (6) the announcement has always been glitched and doesn't start early enough, so the train is just sitting in the station for 10-15 seconds while it finishes saying "(F) train by walking to the 63rd Street-Lexington Avenue station, and using your metrocard." 

• Upvote 2

I hate people complaining when they wait a 14th Street for the doors to open. I tell them there are gap fillers... no they don't care.

• Upvote 3

I hate people complaining when they wait a 14th Street for the doors to open. I tell them there are gap fillers... no they don't care.

lol...

The rule is, as I understand it, the CR must wait for train to stop, move to the other cab, and then open the doors at stub terminals.

• Upvote 8

The rule is, as I understand it, the CR must wait for train to stop, move to the other cab, and then open the doors at stub terminals.

What do you mean by "the other cab?" A cab has door controls on both sides (unless I'm mistaken.) The C/R doesn't change cabs on a local train because the doors open on the left for express stops and on the right for local stops.

Yep, unless the train is heading to the yard or relay right after.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

• Upvote 1

I don't know about you, but when I'm riding an uptown (4)(5), I'm just desperate for Union Square to come. By the time it hits Brooklyn Bridge, it is usually packed beyond breathability, not to mention the CRAWL between there and Union Square (I've rode many (6)'s that beat out express trains). By the time I see the lights of the station, my mind urges "Get me the hell off this train/get these people off this train", and the gap fillers add for 15 seconds of torture, as 50+ people are preparing to stampede at once. 

• Upvote 3

What do you mean by "the other cab?" A cab has door controls on both sides (unless I'm mistaken.) The C/R doesn't change cabs on a local train because the doors open on the left for express stops and on the right for local stops.

The conductor moves to the other cab meaning he has to move to the other cab in another car of the train. 

Except for the (7) and (S) 's, the Conductor sits in the back half of the train. At the last stop he opens up the train using the cab in the front half of the train. 

The conductor moves to the other cab meaning he has to move to the other cab in another car of the train. 

Except for the (7) and (S) 's, the Conductor sits in the back half of the train. At the last stop he opens up the train using the cab in the front half of the train. 

So if set 1400-1396, 1511-1515 pulled in to 148th Street on the (3), and the conductor was in car 1511 for the journey up, prior to opening the doors he would move over to 1396?

• Upvote 1

So if set 1400-1396, 1511-1515 pulled in to 148th Street on the (3), and the conductor was in car 1511 for the journey up, prior to opening the doors he would move over to 1396?

correct.

IIRC the offical reason is it sets the train up for it's return trip, and they don't want them doing so while the train is still moving.

What do you mean by "the other cab?" A cab has door controls on both sides (unless I'm mistaken.) The C/R doesn't change cabs on a local train because the doors open on the left for express stops and on the right for local stops.

well that's not exactly true. Ask any CR who works the C and the J and Z. Anything that runs with R32s or R42s is an exception since they're still half cabbed. The 7 is an exception becuase it's CRs stay in the same location on the train.

Everyone else, on trains running with two linked muilti car units with full witdth cabs. the CR changes from the lead car of the second set (5th on 8 car trains, 6th on ten car trains) to the cab of what had been the last car of the lead set

Edited by Kamen Rider
  • Upvote 1

Sorry, downvoted this post by accident.

Why do they need to move to the other cab, though? Why can't they open the doors from the cab they used on the rest of the trip?

Sorry, downvoted this post by accident.

Oh, so it's not just me!   :)

Why do they need to move to the other cab, though? Why can't they open the doors from the cab they used on the rest of the trip?

Because the doors can only be closed from the same cab that they were opened from, and the southbound conductor will be operating from 1396's cab.

They have to get it ready for the next conductor who will take the train out of the terminal.

Oh, so it's not just me!   :)

Because the doors can only be closed from the same cab that they were opened from, and the southbound conductor will be operating from 1396's cab.

Makes sense!  I guess I'm not as smart as I thought I was...

They have to get it ready for the next conductor who will take the train out of the terminal.

Zone switch

• Upvote 1

On the 46/62/68's, the C/R can actually open immediately from the first position AS LONG AS the crew intends to key open 1 door per car while the train sits in the pocket. You open, close, dezone, and then start keying doors. On the 142 and up, you need to establish the new zone regardless of whether you're going to leave all doors or just one open, since the door control lets you go from open to partial close without closing all of the doors first, and you can only dezone when ALL doors are closed.

• Upvote 7

I saw this phenomena happen yesterday after a wild ride on the (N) to Coney Island. The train was diverted to the (D) at 36th Street and ran on the express tracks. [This was my first time on the express tracks.]

I rode in the car ahead of the conductor. After stopping at Stillwell, he opened the door to the cab in my car and opened the doors. I saw this repeated on the platform when another train entered the station.

The cabs are right next to each other so I don't understand why it takes some conductors longer to open the doors than others.

But most importantly, the mystery has been explained.